Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Anna Maria Island fishing report.

Hi folks,

as as promised a fishing report. Really bad news for all concerned, the red tide has made its way to the top of the Island. Some trophy snook washing up on the beach. Not sure it will clear in time. I hope for all it does. I have fished the canal at the back of the house and managed some pinfish and small mangrove snapper.

Going to look for some clear spots to fish. I will not be beaten!!

Tight lines all.

Vern

Replies

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,227 Moderator

Sorry Vern,

Have always appreciated your enthusiasm for your upcoming AMI Holidays. Just stinks, no pun intended.

• BigVernBigVern Posts: 217 Deckhand
    Takes more than this to keep me down! Just watch this space!!

My heart goes out to the community here who will deal with this event long after I have flown home.

On a positive not I saw a sheepshead and snook under our dock - here we go!!

Vern
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    It really is a catastrophe, sadly it is becoming more and more prevalent too. Hopefully we will come up with a solution but, it doesn't look good really for the near future.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • ericfericf Posts: 463 Deckhand
    Just sucks that it seems we finally get a handle on how to manage fishing impact on our inshore fisheries, water quality in the bay seems to be on an upward trend, and now this could potentially set us back years... 

Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec
    Well, walked the beach yesterday, and the wife suggested I carry the rod just in case! Walked a mile or so, no fish spotted or connected. Get to my favourite spot and what di I see but a raft of snook! I got a couple of follows but I only had a 2foot leader to the lure and they must be spooking on the braid. I will be back after dark!! 9pm and darkness has fallen. I make my way to the beach by Rod and Reel pier. I star casting but am really waiting till I hit the point. I am but 2 minutes from it and I can almost feel the bite which will happen!! Only problem is now that lightening storm is bang over my head and moving quickly - rod dismantled and head for base as quick as I can, the last thing I need is to be waving 10foot of carbon about in this!!! Will they be there tonight?

Watch this space!

Tight lines!

Vern
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 667 Officer
    Good deal Vern I am glad you are finding some clean water
    That would be no then! They may have been there but they were non-cooperative!

Better luck today!!???
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 743 Officer
    2 feet of leader shouldn't be a deal breaker. 3 would be better. The red tide seems to be moving around quickly. I have been to anna maria and several boat ramps 3 mornings in a row. Dead fish one day none the next. Of course wind and tide will move it around. My point is I saw a school of mullet along a seawall, they just were very lethargic. If the red tide is close, it maybe enough to shut down the bite. Hope you have some luck.
    Morning folks. I have stopped sobbing now. Fished from the dock yesterday. No tarpon in the canal as yet but plenty of fish. Especially the one which got away. Trying to catch bait as I have heard and seen snook at night. First bait too big! A silver fish species. Second bait just right but drops off! Then I get a bite on a tiny piece of squid. The rod hoops over and a huge snook powers away and snaps the hook length - noooooooooooooo!

Will it be back today? Will let you know later.

Tight lines all.

Vern
    I think the silver fish was a mojarra. It was about the size of a desert plate.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,296 AG
    Not for nothing but I've used foot long mullet and ladyfish for snook bait.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    Duly noted! Beach sortie today with the fly rod. Big surf and hefty wind, but it certainly spurred the fish on! Just past the rod and reel pier the tide started to pull. Out goes the fly, let it swing in the current, then pull, pull bang! Snook number one heads to Tampa! Mint condition and silvery, about 3lbs or so. Followed by a snapper which I thought was a mangrove snapper but not sure now. It was quite pale, with a black stripe by its eye. A second snook, some missed hits and one small jack crevasse ended the afternoon nicely!

i will be back tomorrow!

Tight lines

Vern
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 420 Deckhand
    Do you do any carp fishing back home?
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 755 Officer
    BigVern said:
    Duly noted! Beach sortie today with the fly rod. Big surf and hefty wind, but it certainly spurred the fish on! Just past the rod and reel pier the tide started to pull. Out goes the fly, let it swing in the current, then pull, pull bang! Snook number one heads to Tampa! Mint condition and silvery, about 3lbs or so. Followed by a snapper which I thought was a mangrove snapper but not sure now. It was quite pale, with a black stripe by its eye. A second snook, some missed hits and one small jack crevasse ended the afternoon nicely!

i will be back tomorrow!

Tight lines

Vern
    Mangrove snapper change color like chameleons.  Over sand, they will be light grey to silver.  That dark stripe comes and goes when they are feeding or feeling otherwise frisky.

Big snook love those large mojarra.  Also, if you get a 16" or so ladyfish, dangle that in snook town and prepare to get your **** handed to you.  Snook will devour surprisingly large fish so long as they are elongate in shape.  They'll eat a ladyfish that is so long that the tail sticks 8" out of their throat; doesn't bother them, they just leave it hanging out while the head gets digested.
    Hi supermutu,

every now and then, but I prefer fishing rivers. I do fish some lakes but carp are accidental captures rather than targeted. I am really happy just out fishing whatever I can catch!
  • Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 117 Deckhand
    The snook in my profile picture ate a mojarra which i call sandperch about the size of my face 
    Big bait equals big snook? I will remember that! What size hook would you use with a big bait?
  • Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 117 Deckhand
    I like 6/0 octopus-circle but I use a bunch of sizes i'll message you some secret spots since your unfortunate enough to come during this mess
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 420 Deckhand
    BigVern said:
    Hi supermutu,

every now and then, but I prefer fishing rivers. I do fish some lakes but carp are accidental captures rather than targeted. I am really happy just out fishing whatever I can catch!
    That's cool. 

I moved down here recently from Ohio.  I primarily went for catfish and carp.  I have a couple of 12', 3.25tc carp rods that are now on surf duty.  I've been trying to find uses for my other carp gear like my pod and alarms as well as rigging bits.  It's an entirely different game.
  • JustinF_KTMJustinF_KTM Posts: 74 Deckhand
    How long are you down there? That red tide really sucks my uncle is down there now I think he just got a charter and didn’t bother fishing other than that. Any more luck? How is Emerson park as far as red tide? We did pretty good with some smaller snook in June there. Even with the red tide I’m very jealous of you that was the funnest week I’ve ever had!
    The red tide is not quite so bad at the moment. I did not get out today. Cast net practice off the dock - one leatherjacket!! Going to hit the beach tomorrow. Can I find a hungry fish?

Will let you all know!

Tight lines 

Vern
    Dock first. Incoming tide, cup of tea and a gentle angle for small fish. Pinfish, pinfish - was that a tarpon rolling? Yes. Get big rod! Catch pinfish, but it does not live long and am now deadbait fishing. Can I catch a live one? Nope. Nice mangrove snapper, then lose a decent fish, then on a small strip of squid hook something which leaves the canal in a hurry!! Not again!!! Snook Tarpon? Who knows. Finish on a catfish and that is it. Workmen start hammering and excavating and the tarpon move on. A quick drink and off to the beach with the fly rod. Walk from SandDollar restaurant to bean point. No dead fish but no live ones either. Manage a snook near the rod and reel pier. Learn a valuable lesson - always check for fly and leader. Dozens of snook look at the fly but shy away?!!! Why? Because it is looped around the leader and swimming sideways! Lesson learned, sort fly and proceed to hook 6 snook, all of which shake the hook free - at least they are biting now! Last cast big snook comes up to the fly but it is not there, a turn has flown down and picked up my fly!!! It drops it quick, but I am done. Back for a swim and libation!!! Will I make the snook stick today?

Tight lines all.

Vern
    Dock first. Incoming tide, cup of tea and a little fish. Tarpon rolling! Can’t catch a small fish for love nor money! Eventually catch a small pin fish. Out it goes. Tarpon roll and swim past. Back out it goes tarpon roll and swim past!!! Can they see it? Cast out again two tarpon roll 2 yards from the float, it gets nervous and disappears! Reel down feel resistance and ............... nothing but an empty circle hook returns - not again! Did I do anything wrong? Men start banging and crashing and tarpon leave!

Will see you tomorrow poons!

Tight lines all.

Vern
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(Posts: 695 Officer
    Where you hooking the pinfish ?
    Through the nostrils between the eyes and mouth.
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(Posts: 695 Officer
    If you are putting it under a float try through the back just in front of the dorsal fins...
    If you are putting it under a float try through the back just in front of the dorsal fins...

Yess. Exactly!!!

Will do! Here is the next question. What is the best way to catch pin fish? It is taking me ages to hook one on pieces of shrimp or squid!!

Overdid the sun yesterday so confined to the dock. Glad I did, caught a jack and a black drum. The jack led me a merry dance I can tell you!!  I also learnt the hard way that catfish do not smell too good either!
    I only catch them by cast net. If I had to use hook and line, I would guess a #8 or so hook or a sabiki rig. I always chum with canned mackerel to draw them together. I would guess canned tuna or any other fish would work too.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,067 Admiral
    At least your having a good time trying, that's what counts to me.