Anna Maria Island fishing report.

BigVernBigVern Posts: 161 Deckhand
Hi folks,

as as promised a daily fishing report. Nothing to report but devastation from the red tide gripping the west coast. It has made its way to the top of AMI and is causing havoc. Walked the beach yesterday as in the morning the water was as normal, but by afternoon it was very dirty with fish washing up on the beach, including 3 snook in the OMG category. One had to be 40 inches plus. A very sad sight. Gonna try and find some clear water to cast a fly in.

Tight lines all

Vern.

Replies

• remo_5_0remo_5_0 Posts: 244 Deckhand
    That sucks, I was in Redington Beach a couple of years ago when it hit, the beach was covered in dead fish, terrible thing.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,980 Captain
    Vern, some times a tide change will clear an area of red tide but you're still going to be fishing in an area where any fish not killed outright by the  disaster - will have simply moved as far away from the "bad water" as possible making it pretty tough to fish there... 

If you don't find any good fishing - get to the nearest tackle shop and ask them about canal or river fishing a bit inshore where the tide won't have reached... You'd be surprised how good those areas can be and a lot of it is accessible on foot.  Nearby fresh or slightly brackish waters are also quite likely to hold some surprising saltwater fish (think tarpon, snook, etc)... If all else fails - a trip down to Chokoloskee, Everglades City, or the resort at Port of the Islands areas and all the freshwater canals along US 41 in that same area will not only hold fish - but they'll be hungry -and the red tides have not made it east of Marco Island at all (thank heavens...) .  Not much fishing on foot in the ten thousand islands area (for those on foot stick to the canals and small bridges along 41...) but lots of guides there and a few opportunities to rent a small skiff and strike out on your own.   At least down there you won't see a single bit of red tide...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • BigVernBigVern Posts: 161 Deckhand
    Hi Bob, thanks for the heads up and info. I will definitely look into that!

First sorted with the fly rod today. Hit the beach at about 11am. The beach was depressing on Monday but decidedly clear today. I even spotted lots of snook in a favourite spot of mine yesterday - where they there today? Nope moved on. I did see a couple of snook and had a shot at 3 red fish swimming very quickly downside. Had a couple of follows but nothing bit! Will they be there tomorrow? Will have to wait and see!!

Tight lines 

Vern 
    If you can... hit the beach before the sun comes up - then leave it at around 9am... it's a different world at dawn (if you can...).  The next time slot to aim for is that last hour or two until it's dark - particularly after those late afternoon storms when the water is cooled off a bit...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Had a good shot at 3 snook Thursday. Not spooked by the fly line but did not slow down to look at the fly. There was a snook hunting but too close to the beach goers and did not really want to hook a paddle boarder!! Back on the beach today? 

Tight lines all.
    Got back to the beach today, not only did I get battered well and truly by the surf, but wonder of wonders some fish too! On the beach past the rod and reel pier, the tide started ripping through. I cast out and let the current drift the fly around then pull, pull and wallop! Snook number one takes off for Tampa! Got him back, mint condition about 3lbs. Few cast later snook number 2? Nope this time a mangrove snapper hits the fly. I miss a couple and then hit another snook, which came out of the water into a wave to attack the fly! Finally a jack crevasse to round off the afternoon. Time to recharge the batteries with a well earned G&T!

Tomorrow I shall return!

Tight lines

Vern
  • SurfcasterSurfcaster Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Way to go...
    Steep steep learning curve yesterday. Hit the beach and walked a good mile and a half or so from Sand$ restaurant to Rod and reel pier No dead fish, but not many live ones either!! Finally found some snook and catch one quickly! Next hour nothing? Fish follow but not taking why? I got to change the fly and see why, it is looped ang swimming at a different plane!! Change leader and swim fly - that is better. Proceed to hook 6 more snook, 3 from one school of them and they all shake the hook free!! Still better to be hit than skunked right! Last cast, big snook comes up to the fly about is a foot from it then fly disappears? Blind sided by a tern!! No damage as it drops it, but fish gone. So check leader and fly all the time - back again today, I will be ready for them!!!

Tight lines all.

Vern
    Ready indeed! 3 mint conditioned snook and a few missed takes. Lots of follows and lost a couple. Not bad for a couple of hours at the beach. Caught a lady fish and as I brought it in the snook were looking to attack it! Not sure I tied some 10inch flies! Still not getting the big girls to latch on. Maybe go up in fly size? Tomorrow can’t come soon enough!

Tight lines.

Vern
    Hi folks, sorry not been at the keyboard for a while! Out on a charter with Dave White, AMI Charters. Great guide and put us on lots of fish in a short trip. Snook, houndfish and jacks on fly and bait.

Off the beach the redtide has returned but added another species to fly caught fish - whiting! No snook off the beach but plenty around the pier. Going to get out today. Can I add to my tally? Will let you know. 

Tight lines all. 

Vern
    Mixed bag yesterday. A jack and 4 or 5 snook, biggest about 28 inches, my best on the fly! Oh and a seagull! Hooked on the back cast and screamed all the way until I untangled it, with a watching crowd of a further 200 or so gulls screaming their discontent! My mind flashed to the Hitchcock movie momentarily!!

Lessons learnt? If it ain’t broke don’t try to fix it! Fished for about an hour with a new fly, had follows but no takes and then a shrimp pattern, not a twitch. Looking into the fly box I put on a pattern I caught with last year - 10 casts, 8 takes and 2 snook landed!! Enough said! I now only have one of these flies left as the hook broke when I lost a big snook, easily 30 plus inches!

Fly trip on the boat tomorrow -stoked! Will let you know how I get on.

Tight lines.

Vern
    Hi folks, sorry for the lack of reports over the last few days! 

Bad and news from my point of view, I have left your beautiful shores, but am booked for next year!!

So last few trips, managed a few more snook off the beach, and pulled the hook out of a huge one. Got red-tided off a couple of days, sad to see some huge snook dead in the surf. Had a shot at a tarpon off the dock but could not get a small bait, so a hand sized pinfish did not provoke a hook-up.

Went out with David White again, for a fly trip. 10 minutes into the trip and I hook my first fish, 10lbs of silver! Tarpon on and landed - magic!! Headed out and caught snook, had a shot at some redfish, but they did not play ball. Caught some gags on bait, got bitten off and smashed a few times, but had a fantastic trip.

So back home now, I wonder how I did. New species on fly, tarpon,jacks,whiting, Spanish macks and mangrove snapper. Biggest snook on fly so far! I would say a right result!! 

I would like like to thank you all for your helpful hints and tips - I’ll be back!

Tight lines all!

Vern
    Glad you had a good trip - I enjoyed your reports...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • CPAforSnookCPAforSnook Posts: 70 Greenhorn
    Vern,

Enjoyed your reports and viewing the files you tied for your trip.  Can you tell me about your rod, reel and line set up?
    Hi CPA,

It was fun getting a few fish and casting a line to write about!!

My rod is a 9 foot Temple Fork Outfitters TiCRX, 8 weight. I borrowed it off a friend and I was so impressed I bought it from him. My reel is an old Orvis, mid arbour, battenkill reel size v. Loaded with 200 yards of 20lb Dacron backing and a Cartland clear intermediate cold/warm water line. I attach 6 feet of 30lb fluorocarbon and then attach 4 or 5 feet of 15 to 25lb fluorocarbon as the bite tippet. I tied the flies using a loop knot to impart as much movement as possible. I managed plenty of fish off the beach and noticed a huge difference by fishing a clear fly line, as opposed to my solid coloured floating line. I did make sure I washed the reel thoroughly after each trip and have had no problems with it.

Hope this helps. 

Tight lines

Vern