Panfish ID ...What'cha think

RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 577 Officer
Leaning toward Stumpknocker / spotted Sunfish but the colors are off and the face looks Warmouth'ish but not the lips.  Maybe a Hybrid?  The only Hybrids that we see (rare) and (crossed in the wild) is a mix with a Speckled Perch and Warmouth (we think)...

When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!

Replies

• RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 577 Officer
    here is another...maybe a Flier.

• Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 473 Deckhand
    They're both bluegill.  We get some whacky colorations down here in Florida.
  • RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 577 Officer
    edited August 7 #4
    They're both bluegill.  We get some whacky colorations down here in Florida.
    sorry, not a Bluegill.  Below is a Bluegill.  Color variations are wildly different from the Sloughs to the River to the Lakes to the Spring Fed creeks in FLA but the Body Shape is pretty consistent.

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,060 Captain
    First one is a red breast sunfish. Second is a spotted sunfish possibly. I catch all 3 around my dock a lot. Specks too
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 473 Deckhand
    First one could be a redbreast; short operculum tab for a redbreast, but stranger things happen.  Second is still a bluegill.  Females are distinctly different in shape and color for bluegills.

Spotted sunfish have single gray spots in the center of each scale, while fish #2 has coloration on the rear edges of some scales.
  • repairrepair Posts: 208 Deckhand
    Their sunnies
    I have to admit I am a FISHAHOLIC.
    viet vet usaf 71-75
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 940 Officer
    You are not seeing hybrids between crappie and warmouth; they are in different genera (Pomoxis v. Lepomis).
  • Rookie77Rookie77 Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    Top one is a redbreast sunfish.  Bottom one is a bluegill.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 6,866 Admiral
    Rookie77 said:
    Top one is a redbreast sunfish.  Bottom one is a bluegill.
    FTW

Captain Todd Approves