Recommendations for Quality Meat Market in Gainesville

We don't have any as far as I know in Ocala. I have never seen a piece of prime rated beef for sale at any store in Ocala. Every once in awhile you want a high-quality Prime rated cut of beef and pork. Orlando has plenty but that's a long haul. Any help appreciated. I Googled it and saw quite a few including Ward's but they did not mention what grade of meat they carry.

Replies

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,077 Officer
    https://www.northfloridacustommeats.com/home.html
    Got a freezer?? Cant touch the quality in any other place I know of.
    I miss the old butcher shops too. When I was a kid it was a 2 stop shopping process. Groceries and meat.
    Butcher always gave us a chunk of fresh smoked sausage to keep us quiet.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 301 Deckhand
    Have you tried going to a Publix maybe by the Catholic School and talking to the butcher. Maybe they can special order what you want. 
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,391 Captain
    edited August 2018 #4
    Have you tried going to a Publix maybe by the Catholic School and talking to the butcher. Maybe they can special order what you want. No, but it's worth a try. I know Publix in Orlando carries Prime
    No, but I know Publix in Orlando carries Prime worth a try. But I like to see it first
    4WARD said:
    https://www.northfloridacustommeats.com/home.html
    Got a freezer?? Cant touch the quality in any other place I know of.
    I miss the old butcher shops too. When I was a kid it was a 2 stop shopping process. Groceries and meat.
    Butcher always gave us a chunk of fresh smoked sausage to keep us quiet.
    We used to have Smittys when I was a kid. Complete with saw dust on the floor. It was all good back then. I'd open one tomorrow if I knew there was any money in it
     No competition in Ocala. All are in the hood and smell bad.
  • VertigoVertigo Yankeetown, FLPosts: 611 Officer
    As strange as it may sound, the Food Ranch in Inglis has some of the best beef in the area.  Tell the on-site butcher what you want, and he'll cut it for you then and there.  If they don't have it he'll get it next day.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,366 Captain
    We've been disappointed in the butcher at the old Food Ranch ever since IGA bought them out. They used to be great, but despite the claim that the meat section wasn't going to change, it did. The quality is down and the service sucks. To give you an example, we used to order a fresh turkey from them every Thanksgiving.  We did it last year, but when we went to pick it up it was frozen.  The guy told us that they never carried fresh turkeys and that they were always frozen for as long as he could remember. OK, thanks, see ya.  We got a fresh one from Angus Wholesale Meats in Dunnelin. That place has pretty good meat, but they compete more on price than quality. They might be able to order you prime beef if you call them.  

The best quality meat that we have been able to find is at Murphy's Market on Mariner Boulevard in Spring Hill.  That's a long haul from Ocala, but it could be worth it.  

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,229 Admiral
    Does anyone in FL still let you buy and raise a whole cow then have it butchered?  I've always wanted to do that but no idea how or where to start. I don't even think i've got enough freezer space between one side by side and one small chest freezer. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • erik-the-rederik-the-red Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    The Fresh Market has prime grade beef. I get a usda prime, prime rib for Christmas every year.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,891 Captain
    Fresh Market has some killer meat but **** its expensive.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    I can't think any place in Gville unfortunately. I buy some meat at Wards, they have their own herd and sell cuts in the store. They would probably custom cut for you. Their meat department is improving from what is was. May be worth a try if you are the area. NW 6th st and 23rd ave.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Big Slick said:
    Forgot about UF, thanks for chiming in. I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Also there is a new place on NE 4th west of main. Cross between a meat market and dine in deli.

Fehrenbacher's Artisan Sausage

https://www.facebook.com/fehrenbachersartisansausages/
    Address
    411 SW 4th Ave
    Gainesville, FL 32601
    United States

133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • MichimanMichiman Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    How is this related to fishing?
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,627 Captain
    Michiman said:
    Prime beef is great catfish bait. 

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,997 Captain
    Michiman said:
    You must be new, welcome
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,229 Admiral
    Michiman said:
    You must be new, welcome
    you never said if you had some land you needed hunted or not.  I'll do it for free. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,077 Officer
    Michiman said:
    You must be new, welcome
    you never said if you had some land you needed hunted or not.  I'll do it for free. 
    What does this have to do with a meat market?
    Oh wait … You're gonna sell AC Man some meat. Now I get it.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,891 Captain
    Michiman said:
    It's not but nobody is posting fishing reports so we might as well use the forum for something. 
    Michiman said:
    Well, I've been here since the get go in 2001. You can ask a non fishing question. We are a community to help each other out. That's the way it has always been. 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,033 Admiral
    You should be able to catch Fresh Beef.
    Got two Fat T bones on a Popping Cork and a side of Ribs on some Cut Bait..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • MichimanMichiman Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    I like a group with a sense of humor. Thanks.
  • Critterair2Critterair2 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    We sell local (Ocala/Gainesville) farm raised beef and pork.  Whole hogs and steers.  PM for details.