Timber Rattlesnakes

23Grady23Grady Posts: 33 Greenhorn
While doing some work on food plots in Hamilton County this past week end, we ended up killing 3 rattlesnakes. I know July and August are mating months and the males travel 3 times more during this time, but what has been your experience during the summer with these snakes?

Replies

• Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,558 Captain
    I’ve been around them a lot in north Florida. The only pattern I’ve seen is they like to hang out around feeders and camps. Presumably to catch rodents. The impression I have is that they are somewhat homebodies. I’ve seen what I took to be the same snake in the same area on multiple occasions. 
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 421 Deckhand
    If y’all have been getting as much rain and water as we have, that could be one reason. When the water rises, the critters hit the high ground. I’m surprised I didn’t see any snakes this weekend. I was shocked to see a 3 foot gator sunbathing in the road... not something you see in our pine forest everyday!
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 620 Officer
    edited August 7 #4
    Ha!  I saw the same thing this last weekend.  Driving back down a dirt road I had already been.  Saw what appeared to be a log in the road, that I didn't remember passing.  I stopped and immediately saw it glisten.  Knew right then.  He knew too.  Turned his body perpendicular to the road, up high on all fours, and high tailed it into the flooded woods. He was a good one, prob 7-8 feet. Definitely a reminder, that even while in the pines..
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,014 Officer
    I've seen more rattlers and gators in May, turkey season when I was hunting in Perry.

Tosohatchee has a lot of pygmy rattlers - I see em often enough.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,783 AG
    23Grady said:
    While doing some work on food plots in Hamilton County this past week end, we ended up killing 3 rattlesnakes. I know July and August are mating months and the males travel 3 times more during this time, but what has been your experience during the summer with these snakes?
    Well that is a really urban and stupid thing to do. City boys in the country....ugh.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • awayaway Posts: 243 Deckhand
    Agreed.  I don't understand why they were killed.
  • GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 726 Officer
    Cyclist said:
    23Grady said:
    Well that is a really urban and stupid thing to do. City boys in the country....ugh.

Ya...pretty sad they are allowed "outside"
    Wow...I will never kill a snake but will never do that either! Impressive...you really have to go out of your way to get bit...thanks for sharing the pics. That's a nice specimen.
    Cyclist said:
    Wow...I will never kill a snake but will never do that either! Impressive...you really have to go out of your way to get bit...thanks for sharing the pics. That's a nice specimen.
    Thanks..if they realize you are no threat snakes will calm down quickly (except for those Black Racers-they are just bite crazy and aim for the eyes). Trick is NOT to GRAB..just let them move and slide through the hands until they calm...For venomous snakes a trick is to use the long spare tire crank (pickup trucks with spare under the bed) and simply hook and lift off the road. Absolutely no reason to kill when hunting the WMA. Here is a link to the video on this snake..just watch how it calms down..

https://www.facebook.com/Grizzl/videos/vb.1224516324/10213035613144725/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,232 Captain
    I have not seen a timber rattler, I want to see one so bad, I love snakes, they are incredible animals. Native wild ones that is not those dam pythons.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
    surfman said:
    I have not seen a timber rattler, I want to see one so bad, I love snakes, they are incredible animals. Native wild ones that is not those dam pythons.
    I have never seen one either and admit to be ignorant as to them even being in Florida!
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,609 Captain
    surfman said:
    You kill the pythons?
    My Favorite Smile Is Vertical
    GRIZZL said:
    Cyclist said:
    (except for those Black Racers-they are just bite crazy and aim for the eyes). 
    I became good friends with a black racer when I first moved to the farm. It liked to smell my toes when I was on the porch barefoot. It also liked to climb up and look me in the eye. I never figured what the snake thought it was getting from the relationship. For my part, I got some great footage that I ended up losing before I could ever post it. 

Poor Racer was one of the first causalties when my dogs moved up. 
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 421 Deckhand
    edited August 7 #15
    GRIZZL said:
    Cyclist said:
    23Grady said:

Ya...pretty sad they are allowed "outside"
    bad a$$!
    GRIZZL said:
    Cyclist said:
    (except for those Black Racers-they are just bite crazy and aim for the eyes). 
    I became good friends with a black racer when I first moved to the farm. It liked to smell my toes when I was on the porch barefoot. It also liked to climb up and look me in the eye. I never figured what the snake thought it was getting from the relationship. For my part, I got some great footage that I ended up losing before I could ever post it. 

Poor Racer was one of the first causalties when my dogs moved up. 
    I have several racers living in my yard. They don't pay any attention to me and will just watch me walk by them. I have a pond with lots of frogs and anoles and they get fat and happy living with me. They do acclimate to humans over time but the first encounter is pretty fun. I sometimes catch one just to imagine them as a Black Mamba (same temperament) and see if I would liver or die :) I remember watching Steve Irwin hand catch a 9 ft black mamba and he was sweating rocks, I love adrenaline rushes but I'm not that crazy (yet)
    MGTeacher said:
    surfman said:
    You kill the pythons?
    You have to, sorry to say. I  have owned them as pets, the last one died two years ago at age 25, but in the wild they are too destructive. If they would stay below 10 ft..no prob but Rock Pythons, Anacondas, Burmese Pythons (VERY Docile snake and Great Pet) and Reticulated Pythons just get too big to be in our ecosystem
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,609 Captain
    I'm all for killing these invasive snakes. Heck coyotes too.
    My Favorite Smile Is Vertical
    Example of relocating a venomous snake with golf club..putter. You can see him balance allowing you to move off road or into a capture vessel. Hiked this guy way back into an area where he won't bother anyone again. That is my daughter learning the ropes, she's already helped some nonvenomous snakes off the road

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,232 Captain
    edited August 7 #20
    I would not hesitate to kill a python if I saw one in the wild, yes.

Not really a fan of keeping snakes for a pet, when I was young, like 10 or so I would catch them and bring them home and keep them for a day or maybe a week then let them go. Not all that much fun to have as a pet really. Once I caught a huge corn snake, took it to school for show and tell and then let it go back where I found it.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 803 Officer
    I had a few rat snakes through the years. After feeding them a few rats and getting bitten a few times cleaning the cage, the novelty wore off. I'd prefer to just watch em in a more natural setting. I get bummed out in a zoo. It always makes me feel like the animals are depressed or something.
    One of my early obsessions was with snakes.  My mom was and is terrified of them and don't know how she handled me as a boy.  She was cool enough to let me keep them, but the enclosures had to be outside.  Kept all kinds.

I also had to google about timber's because, had I had to guess, I wouldn't have thought we had them.  I guess mostly up north.  Beautiful snakes, a shame to kill them just because.

I do have to control populations of black racers around the house.  I don't mind them and actually enjoy them.  But gf is also terrified lol.  If I didn't at least thin them out, she'd be house bound :D  Saw an awesome and big yellow rat snake hanging around not too long ago.  Kept that to myself.

And, I'm also game for some python hunting.  Hate to have to kill them.  But they're a serious problem.  Man, when I was a kid, I'd have been in heaven lookin for those snakes down south!

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,396 Admiral
    I was walking down an old Skidder trail last season and saw the foot high grass going crazy in one spot. I stopped and a big Racer ran up to me with his head and neck up like a Cobra.
    I just watched and he soon went back to the grass spot.
    I walked over and he was eating a 1 1/2 foot Timber Rattler.
    Their my Friends..in fact most all snakes are.
    I don't understand but I think folks that didn't grow up around snakes are afraid of them
    Respect Not Fear thru Knowledge
    Taylor County Fl.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    Killing them (venomous ones)doesn’t necessarily equate to fear though. The fact that I have grown up around them is the reason I kill them when they’re around my home or camp. Sometimes its just a cold, calculated decision that the chances of getting bit from that particular snake are zero if its killed now. Sort of like a time travel scenario where a future evil dictator is killed while he’s still a young man. I have a little one on the way and his or her life is worth more than all the rattlers in the world. They’re welcome to be in the heart of the woods but not anywhere on my farm. 
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 1,724 Captain
    Congratulations on the upcoming  addition!
  • awayaway Posts: 243 Deckhand
    Killing them around your house I'm ok with.  Going out into their territory in the woods and killing them just because is what I have a problem with. Especially a timber, people don't realize how docile they are.

If people don't want them around then they shouldn't be spending time in the woods.  
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 1,279 Officer
    Congrats on the baby Bullfrog! I'm with you around the farm, home or camp. My grandkids depend on adults (usually me) for protection. Poisonous snakes, bears, coyotes, panther-lions, and bad dogs will be endangered around my yard/home. In the woods they get a buy. In camp they gotta go. It's all about percentages and taking chances w babies, crawlers and toddlers. I capture and release nonpoisonous snakes constantly and am teaching kids to not be aftaid of them. Teaching them identification as well. I enjoy snakes as a species and move them away from people areas. But - Cottonmouths are pure evil! LOL
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
    Man, tell me where I can sell some venom, and I'm in!  Do I have to bring the snake or can I milk em myself :D
    spangler said:
    Man, tell me where I can sell some venom, and I'm in!  Do I have to bring the snake or can I milk em myself :D
    St Cloud. Offer them the snake and they will milk it themselves and either keep for their stock or relocate. I assure you they won't kill it. There are other locations that they can inform you of of who will take possession of the snake. A simple pillow case can be carried with you to bag a snake..you can google bagging a snake ....Call your local pest control company and they will have more detail

http://www.reptileworldserpentarium.com/

spangler said:
    Since you like a good laugh...let me share one that was posted on another forum...FACT: More people are bitten trying to kill a snake than any other snake encounter. Teaching kids (by example) to try and kill a snake only puts them at MORE risk. Just accept responsibility when/if that happens

https://www.facebook.com/CatfishCooley/videos/2136466789924815/?t=1

:D  :D