Home Boating

Trailer hub recommendation

rehartlinerehartline Posts: 809 Officer
Never had a problem with my hubs but thinking maybe it’s not a bad idea to replace them. Any recommendations other than galvanized for salt water. Are Vortex worth the money?

Thanks in  advance 

Replies

• ziffleziffle Posts: 153 Deckhand
    posi lube only way to go
  • FlecFlec Posts: 734 Officer
    I received Vortex hubs on my new trailer in 2015. I have over 150 70 mile trips on them and they have not let me down once. They still run cool, even after 70 mph driving on I-95.  But then again I have never had a hub problem with any trailer in 40 years of boating.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,365 AG
    Flec said:
    I received Vortex hubs on my new trailer in 2015. I have over 150 70 mile trips on them and they have not let me down once. They still run cool, even after 70 mph driving on I-95.  But then again I have never had a hub problem with any trailer in 40 years of boating.
    Grease em and check them regularly and it's rarely a problem.   I had mine done when i bought the trailer 4 years ago, maintenance them twice a year and they run cool all the way down to the keys every year.   Some people let them go 2-3 years and that's when you see them on the side of the road.  
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • vs-MA21vs-MA21 Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    Flec said:
    Grease em and check them regularly and it's rarely a problem.   I had mine done when i bought the trailer 4 years ago, maintenance them twice a year and they run cool all the way down to the keys every year.   Some people let them go 2-3 years and that's when you see them on the side of the road.  
    I've always been lucky enough to keep my boat on a lift until now... I will be towing the boat back and forth to the ramp so I'm looking at the positive side in the way that I can go anywhere now that I'm not stuck with one launch point. When you say "maintenance them twice a year" do you mean just grease them up or is there more to it than that?

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,365 AG
    vs-MA21 said:
    Flec said:
    I've always been lucky enough to keep my boat on a lift until now... I will be towing the boat back and forth to the ramp so I'm looking at the positive side in the way that I can go anywhere now that I'm not stuck with one launch point. When you say "maintenance them twice a year" do you mean just grease them up or is there more to it than that?

inspect them and grease them wiping away the old grease as I push new grease in. I changed the dust covers last year for the first time.    Really nothing other than twice a year check the grease and add if necessary. 

If I run them more than 2-3 hours consecutively I always stop after 45 minutes and check them for heat.   Heat is a bad thing when it comes to bearings.    
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,681 Captain
    Inspect the wheel bearings by jacking the wheel off the ground and spinning it.  Any noise is bad, should be dead smooth.  Bearings are cheap.
  • shamrock1188shamrock1188 Posts: 272 Deckhand
    Grease, grease and more grease My trailer is over 25 years old and still going strong. Like Alex said jack them up and spin them also wiggle the tires to see if there is any play in the hub. No needed to replace the hubs unless they are rusty or cracked the bearing and races can be replaced in the hubs. Would not hurt to carry a spare hub with bearing.
  • DfreedomDfreedom Posts: 106 Deckhand
    I've used hubs/bearings from Champion Trailer Parts and Sturdy Built.  Grease them and make sure the rear seals are intact and I've never had a problem.  I pull from SC to either the Florida west coast or the Keys at least once a year and multiple 200+ miles trips a year, never had an issue except once when I over-lubed a hub and forced grease out a rear seal.
  • FlecFlec Posts: 734 Officer
    Vortex hubs are 100k miles maintenance free 
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,022 Admiral
    Any standard hub will hold up fine for the life of the trailer, You will need to replace the bearings every so often, as mentioned, jack it up and spin it if it sounds rough then you need to replace the bearings, It takes about an hour maybe for each hub to remove it knock out the races clean it replace the races, repack the bearings and put it back together. Carry a spare hub complete with bearings and packed with grease in your trunk or tool box and if you do have an issue just remove the bad one and slide the new one on. Piece of cake.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    I rarely replace the races if they aren't pitted or damaged. 

Degrease & check bearings, repack, replace seals once a year - just before a fishing vacation.
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 232 Deckhand
    I have posi-lubes and have never had a problem. I grease them about every third trip. Round trip to Flamingo for me is about 150 miles. Every other year I replace the hubs just out of habit. I also pull the boat anywhere from Ft Peirce down the keys and up to Charlotte Harbor
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 809 Officer
    edited August 2018 #14
    I see that mine are Sup-R-Lube from Tie Down which apparently are like the Posi-Lubes. I have followed the directions for greasing them and I have never had an issue other than one of the boots popped loose on one side and I had some grease slung all over the wheel when I got home. Otherwise everything about them is fine. The boots are original so I ordered replacements but I saw that the Vortex hubs screwed on but seem to use the same type of lube system. They’re original so I figured it was a good maintenance move to change them. 
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,273 Officer
    My cure for losing the rubber boots was to purchase a set of the rubber covers for Buddy Bearings and secure them with hose clamps. Also helps keep out water and easy to remove when greasing.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain