Hog hunting in J.W. Corbett Wildlife Management Area

joehuntingjoehunting miamiPosts: 1 Greenhorn
Anyone taken any hog at J.W. Corbett Wildlife Management Area? Am a city boy only been on one hunt before in NC . Went on a short trip this past weekend and could hear a hog but couldn't get a sighting much less a clear shot . Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated 

Replies

• swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 1,259 Officer
    Welcome to forum  Joehunting!  If you heard one, that's half the battle. Remember- it's called hunting for a reason. Can't help you w Corbett, but I'd spend time looking for hog sign and learning the area. You might search some of the earlier posts about pigs & Corbett in your spare time. No idea on your age, so hoping you have your hunter safety training w card. Luck out there!
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 239 Deckhand
    Corbett archery season start the last weekend of aug.  Your on the right track. Only advise is have the wind in your face. 
  • jamesbrownsplitjamesbrownsplit Posts: 212 Deckhand
    Just to be clear Corbett is currently closed for hunting. I believe you can only shoot them during deer season as well. 

Seeing lots of them in areas with really thick palmettos around water. 

Look for rooting. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,479 Admiral
    edited August 6 #5
    Just to be clear Corbett is currently closed for hunting. I believe you can only shoot them during deer season as well. 

Seeing lots of them in areas with really thick palmettos around water. 

Look for rooting. 

Disregard I did read it wrong

Unless i'm reading something wrong. 

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • jamesbrownsplitjamesbrownsplit Posts: 212 Deckhand
    edited August 6 #6
    Pretty sure that’s for private land only.

http://myfwc.com/media/4436873/Corbett.pdf
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,662 Admiral
    lots of advice here... so who is right? The newbie has dodged a bullet fo sho
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 802 Officer
    Boots on the ground and try and make friends with someone who is familiar with the place.

• binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,662 Admiral
    Have they stopped trapping hogs in Corbitt
  • wilburzwilburz Posts: 935 Officer
    saw a sow and boar on the south grade last friday.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon!