Archery Shop Orlando

seadeuce72seadeuce72 Posts: 17 Greenhorn
I was wondering if anyone knows of any archery shops in the central Florida area. I need to get a new bow set up. Thanks for the help

Replies

• hobbscw79hobbscw79 Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    D&E Hardware and Achery, in Mims, does a great job.
  • seadeuce72seadeuce72 Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Awesome, thanks for the help.
  • If_it_flies_it_diesIf_it_flies_it_dies Posts: 1,130 Officer
    I had used Jeff over there for a few years for my restrings. Thing is, I've found if you don't shoot the brand they sell (Matthews I believe) they are kind of snobby. And the last time I brought my bow to be restrung (vapor trail string I bought myself) they charged me $50 freaking dollars. For a restring and d-loop and that took 15 minutes.  I was told that was the rate when I asked why it was so high. I'm sure I'd been charged about $20 in years past. Regardless, I doubt I'll be returning. 
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,462 Admiral
    I had used Jeff over there for a few years for my restrings. Thing is, I've found if you don't shoot the brand they sell (Matthews I believe) they are kind of snobby. And the last time I brought my bow to be restrung (vapor trail string I bought myself) they charged me $50 freaking dollars. For a restring and d-loop and that took 15 minutes.  I was told that was the rate when I asked why it was so high. I'm sure I'd been charged about $20 in years past. Regardless, I doubt I'll be returning. 

That's odd.  Jeff has worked on my Elite bows for years without issue.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • hobbscw79hobbscw79 Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    And they don't just sell Mathews, I've seen four or five brands sold there at least. Bought my Hoyt there and they've never been snobby.
    Your mileage may vary.  Thats the vibe I always got.  Jeff has done a good job for me in the past. But $50 to restring a bow is asinine. No matter how you slice it. 
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 1,268 Officer
    Can depend on who waits on us. Had an archery shop down me for shooting fingers w my compound and try to sell me a Matthews (they were dealer) and shooting tab. Couple years later shop didn't deal in Matthew but were touting Hoyt. Different tech, and helped me with a pulley issue at no charge. I'll buy my next bow or arrows from him. We never know some folks just have bad days...It wasn't in Orlando.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 617 Officer
    edited August 10 #9
    Any recommendations for a shop near tampa?

I'm still getting used to shooting a compound after only having shot recurves throughout my life.  Last night, i let off my draw a bit (didn't fully redraw..), and when I redrew, my arrow must have come un-nocked.  Dry fired the bow and my peep came out of the string.

I don't know if I should wait to shoot again, until inspected by a shop.  Figure it's ok to shoot without the peep (little instinctive shooting practice) but concerned I may have damaged something else...

I'm shooting with my fingers.. didn't know that was frowned upon.  Don't be sending me to no snobs! lol
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,255 Officer
    It's a little bit of work to bring a bow back to tune after installing strings and cables....it will take me a couple hours at least but I don't do it very often either.  

Spangler, check the limbs over real well for any damage. Some bows can withstand a dry fire better than others so it may be fine, but you will likely have to get the bow pressed at a shop to get the peep back in...or, buy a press, read up, and work on it yourself!  Hope it's okay man.    
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy
    I've looked it over real well.  Ran a cotton ball over the limbs and looked at everything with a magnifying glass.  I don't see anything that I can identify as damage.  Except maybe the string, but I don't think so.

On the string, there is a tiny tag hanging off where the peep was.  Not sure if the string has frayed or if was something used to tie the peep on..  That's the only thing i see that looks off.

I'm mechanically inclined and def want to be fully self sufficient at some point.  But man, archery, like anything else, has a TON of things to learn.  Just don't have the time for tackling it atm.. soon enough. 

Thanks!
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,255 Officer
    Bow sounds like it's okay.  Probably a piece of tie-in string.  Most guys tie them in if it's a tubeless peep. 

...and I saw your other post about scouting once a week, it sounds like you have plenty of extra time on your hands to mess with tuning a bow.  Ha.
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 1,268 Officer
    Tampa - try Adventures Archery. Family in Riverview uses them & is happy w service. No personal knowledge. I've used Arrow Head but they can be pricey and snobby....Luck man!
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
    Thanks guys.  And I def have some time haha, just not enough for everything!!

I'll check out Adventures ;)  I think I'd like to spend some time with a pro anyway.  Never had any real instruction.  Shot right handed my whole life.  Now realizing, I'm left eye dom.  Took a chance and bought a left handed bow.  Man, I'm glad I did.  I actually feel at an advantage now being able to use my dom eye for sighting and my dom hand for follow through. 
  • DUCKWHACKERDUCKWHACKER Posts: 333 Deckhand
    Adventures Archery has been good to us. Set up several customer supplied bows for my buddy over the last couple years. I just bought a custom color scheme Mathews Triax and accessories from them last month.
    Just for the record, I watched him re string the bow. It took 15 minutes. Tops....