Large decrease in Waterfowl permits this year...

godvlmangodvlman Posts: 280 Deckhand
edited August 5 in General Hunting #1
So without an STA Recap meeting being held this year.. this is late news...

Due to a reduction of permits at STA 3/4 this coming season, it looks like STA waterfowl permits will be reduced by about 400-500 permits for the season.  Last year, spraying caused poor hunting in a few of the STA's.  Yet this year nothing can be guaranteed when the spray boats will be within the STA's  spraying since waterfowl hunting is at the bottom of the list for SFWMD.

It was understood that the FEB which had 100 permits last year was going to be evaluated after the first year with the probability of being able to lift ALL permits within it boundaries.   That will not be the case this year... still 100 permits for this coming season!!

Replies

• H20dadH20dad Posts: 967 Officer
    The upside is that enough sportsmen and women fought to keep the reissue lines this year that 100% of the permits will have a chance of being used each day. Good for everybody. 

Now if the state would just manage the habitat in the Everglades and other local wmas there would be no need for sta hunting when they all go to cattails.  

Its a shame the antihunters in the Sfwmd and some or our fellow antihunter hunters have such power to restrict access to the FEB.  It’s such a shame hunters who follow the game laws and seasons can’t just go hunting without additional state, Sfwmd and any other groups permission. 
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,701 Captain
    I don't understand the spraying, aquatic vegetation consumes nutrients and cleans the water, spraying to kill the vegetation seems counterproductive to me, I realize that there is a lot of invasive aquatic vegetation out there but that stuff does a heck of a job cleaning up the water. I can't see why they would do it in an STA, isn't that where you want it? In the big lake same thing but, I guess they want to keep the lake clear for navigation? I have not been to a meeting where they discuss the need for spraying so I apologize for my ignorance on this.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
    surfman said:
    I don't understand the spraying, aquatic vegetation consumes nutrients and cleans the water, spraying to kill the vegetation seems counterproductive to me, I realize that there is a lot of invasive aquatic vegetation out there but that stuff does a heck of a job cleaning up the water. I can't see why they would do it in an STA, isn't that where you want it? In the big lake same thing but, I guess they want to keep the lake clear for navigation? I have not been to a meeting where they discuss the need for spraying so I apologize for my ignorance on this.
    I may be wrong on this, but I think I have read that one concept of the stas is to have plants trap P then kill the plants so that the P settles to the bottom and it effectively “trapped” in the sediment. Let me stress I don’t know if this would work or if this is the reason for the spraying but I am certain I have read something to that effect. 

Try the google?
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 695 Officer
    Why do they spray the STAs at all?  They don't let you boat on them do they?  brochure says activities that do not disturb water and soils...  Or are they controlling specific species/invasives?

4-500 seems like a lot.  What's the rationale?
    spangler said:
    Why do they spray the STAs at all?  They don't let you boat on them do they?  brochure says activities that do not disturb water and soils...  Or are they controlling specific species/invasives?

4-500 seems like a lot.  What's the rationale?
    They claim not enough places to hunt. In fact they don’t want anyone hunting. Last year there were tons of places to hunt and either no parking spot or enough permitted hunters to hunt the spots. 

All of this is the game of politics. Nothing else. 
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 1,996 Captain
    edited August 6 #7
    The STAs are always changing.....they are still experiments and work ongoing as the scientists work on removing Phosporous from the EAA and Lake water flowing in....with a target of 10 ppb P (usually 80 to 120 ppb flowing into the STAs)...This year one of the main cells at STA 3/4 is involved in an experiment...and we will not be able to hunt there....Remember we had the same situation at STA 2 several years ago....When the experiment is over, the cell will be opened to hunting again.....STA 3/4 also has a lot of expanding cattails and hunting areas have been reduced....Thus a loss of permits...Hopefully, reversed after the experiment. We could not get the 100 permits removed from the FEB...yet...we got hunting on the FEB at least a year earlier than normal (most projects are run two years after completion before public access is allowed)….I would expect next year to be the first without the need for a permit...we will see.....As far as "spraying"....the STAs are constantly "manipulated" to have certain types of vegetation growing...and others not wanted...as cells "mature" the vegetation mix has to be adjusted to get the most P out of the water...that means removing the unwanted species...The STAs are managed under a Federal Court order demanding reduction in P before the water can move under the Tamiami Trail into Everglades National Park...and hunting is way down the list of importance....The SFWMD has been very helpful and supportive of hunting on the STAs...and there is no reason to expect that to change...we will actually have a new area in a year or so...That is what UNITED WATERFOWLERS-FL works on with the District Staff and the FWC....more hunting opportunities on the STAs....we have moved the number up from the original 500 per year to over 20,000....although this will be a rare year when we lose numbers...
    Newton,

What cell all are they closing at 3/4?
  • godvlmangodvlman Posts: 280 Deckhand
    Actually Newton, it's not the same situation as STA 2.  When the issue happened at STA 2, the hunters were accommodated by opening another section, preventing from any permits being lost.   The section at 3/4 that is being turned into a Test cell only held 5 permits last year, yet we have a reduction of 10 total.  Please keep in mind STA 3/4 is the largest man made marsh in Florida and possibly the country,  being 16,000 acres.  To only allow 20 permits in the area for waterfowl season seems entirely too strict.   
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,870 Admiral
    it's the experience not the amount of hunters that get to utilize what we have paid for to be built... :)
  • godvlmangodvlman Posts: 280 Deckhand

Not sure about the experience... but the loss in permits will equate to somewhere between 400-500 for the entire year...

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 695 Officer
    Thanks for the explanation Newton.  Def a big loss for the year.  Hope they get us back on it sooner than later.  It would be really nice, if when they took access from somewhere, they'd open it up somewhere else.  I'm sure easier said than done, but there's only more people showing up here every day. 

It's a loss and it hurts.  But, we should keep in mind that STAs serve a specific purpose.  We should be grateful they are trying things out to see how they can improve the situation.
    Spangler, the STA's do not do anything better than the surrounding marshes... and yes you are right maybe they should open all of LOX for us to hunt again
    Spangler, the STA's do not do anything better than the surrounding marshes... and yes you are right maybe they should open all of LOX for us to hunt again
    My kids and I hope others will be ready when the renewal comes back up to get the land back from the feds and return it to state hands. 
    lets hope LOX is on the list as well... but if our SFWMD will let us in, they seem to somehow hold all the keys
    lets hope LOX is on the list as well... but if our SFWMD will let us in, they seem to somehow hold all the keys
    The biggest question is what happens to the stas when they can’t maintain the phosphorus levels?  Do they take over the rest of the Everglades or return the stas to browns farm status?
    Ha, they keep failing but keep writing new thesis statements to keep the $$$$ flowing in faster than the water flowing out.