Suggestions Please

viejo pescadorviejo pescador Posts: 25 Greenhorn

The last of September or first part of October (2018),  my wife and I would like to explore the East Coast of Florida for about three days, from Vero Beach down to Jupiter Beach. I'm an old timer, but would like to fish a few places from the beach, NOT pier fishing please, and catch and release.

Any suggestions would be most greatly appreciated, some beaches to try and what species of fish available at this time of year?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• viejo pescadorviejo pescador Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Jensen Beach area looks good, maybe Hutchinson Island??
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
    The crime data reveals that the overall Vero Beach, FL crime rates are 4% lower than in comparison to the Florida mean and are 5% higher than the nation's mean. In regards to violent offenses, Vero Beach, FL has a rate that is 3% lower than the Florida average; compared to the United States, it is 8% higher than.

Vero Beach, Florida,sales tax rate is 7.00%. Income tax is 0.00%. The income per capita is $35,595, which includes all adults and children. The median household income is $37,937.

Jupiter Florida Crime Rate
    Relative to Florida, Jupiter has a crime rate that is higher than 51% of the state's cities and towns of all sizes. However, compared to other communities of similar population size, Jupiter has a crime rate that is noticeably lower than the average.

Households in Jupiter, FL have a median annual income of $76,687, which is more than the median annual income in the United States. Look at the chart to see how the median household income in Jupiter, FL compares to that in it's parent locations.

Beach season in Florida
    The weather determines the high seasons. In subtropical South Florida, high season is in the winter, from mid-December to mid-April, although if you ask tourism execs, the high season is now creeping further into spring and even, in some parts, summer.

Florida When does school start
    The Broward School Board proposes to start the school year on a Wednesday. Sorry, kids. If you attend Broward County public schools, summer vacation will end early. The School Board on Tuesday approved its calendar for the 2018-19 school year, which will start Wednesday, Aug. 15 — six days earlier than last year.

Florida beach closed after 2 shark bites in 5 minutes.FERNANDINA BEACHFla. (AP) — Officials say a Florida beach has been closed following two apparent shark bites just five minutes apart. The Florida Times-Union reports that Fernandina Beach, just northeastof Jacksonville, was closed to swimmers Friday afternoon.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/los-angeles-ca/90012/current-weather/347625
    We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • th19999th19999 Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    I know of people wade fishing along the west side of the intracoastal along stuart and north. although I have not 
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,269 Admiral
    You might get more info in the SE region.  Sep and Oct are our preferred months for surf fishing for reds and blues - but Flagler and north.  Look for beach access points near an inlet if possible.  Maybe pomps and whiting?  I'm not sure that far south. Good luck! :)
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,000 Officer
    "explore" and "not pier fishing".
    Leads me to believe that you should go north from Vero, not south.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    4ward - what about the N side of Ft Pierce inlet?  On google earth looks like there's a park with public access to the beach.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,000 Officer
    4ward - what about the N side of Ft Pierce inlet?  On google earth looks like there's a park with public access to the beach.
    Any info from me would be seriously outdated.
    I have not been south of Wabasso on A1A in many many years.
    I grew up in Palm Beach county in the 70's and just cannot stomach to even see it anymore.

Thought the OP was perhaps looking for a little elbow room.
    Sebastian, Pelicer (Marineland) and Vilano areas are about the only Fishing and beach areas I care to visit much these days. Ft. Clinch is nice too.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    4WARD said:
    Any info from me would be seriously outdated.
    I have not been south of Wabasso on A1A in many many years.
    I grew up in Palm Beach county in the 70's and just cannot stomach to even see it anymore.

Thought the OP was perhaps looking for a little elbow room.
    Sebastian, Pelicer (Marineland) and Vilano areas are about the only Fishing and beach areas I care to visit much these days. Ft. Clinch is nice too.
    We started surf fishing at Matanzas in the late 70's and several times a year for nearly 40 years until they closed it off to traffic.  We had to give it up.  Mr gl, after decades of fighting wildfires doesn't have much lung power left and can't make the walk. Sure do miss it.
    I know Ft. Clinch well - we'd spend a week every spring and every fall (late 80's to mid 90's) at a friends house on the beach close to the Ft.  Gathering sharks teeth on the beach and fishing for blues is how we spent most of our time.

Thank you all, for the suggestions, much appreciated.
  • NicholasnatNicholasnat Posts: 29 Greenhorn

Pepper park. north side of the Navy seal museum.

Also A1A going south from the inlet there are so many parks to stop park n fish. All the way down to the power plant.

Check out google earth

• nowinchattnowinchatt Posts: 54 Greenhorn
    Hobe Sound Beach if the water is cleaned up. If you are a bait guy there is a shop on the way on bridge road.
    I have always walked south to get away from the lifeguard areas, although the pompano guys (long rods in sand spikes) seem to head North. 
  • Capjohnson.mikeCapjohnson.mike Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    There are some awesome areas this time of year for wade fishing. From Stuart up to fort pierce inlet there are some great areas that you can park your car throw on some waders or flats boots and crush trout, snook, Jacks and reds. Bear point is a public known spot so is Middle Cove. On the west side there are roads you can park and wade and hit the docks. Have fun!
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 699 Officer
    Anywhere from Jensen Beach to Stuart is great fishing from the beach. There are a bunch of public beaches with places to park. Bathtub Beach (about 1.5 miles north of the St. Lucie Inlet) is a great spot because the reef about 100 yards offshore breaks any waves and leaves it nice and calm along the shore. You can walk from the parking area down to the inlet and sightcast snook and tarpon are usually in range. You can follow the beach around the around the point and fish the flat on the north side if the inlet. That time of year, jack and ladyfish will probably be around too. 

We ended up staying in Jupiter, near the Intracoastal loved it  Caught my first Snook from the beach, using a swim bait,  not a huge one, but it was fun anyway!  The Snook were driving the mullet up to the beach, right along the troughs, very exciting to see them jumping right out of the water. One late afternoon from the Juno Pier, we saw a huge school of mullet, the Tarpon and Snook were having a feast! Quite a few fishermen were free lining the mullet, having success with some really big Snook, was very exciting to watch. The water was that aqua color, so beautiful, the sunrises and sunsets were breathtaking.

Thanks to you all who have given me suggestions, hopefully make another trip next year.

Regards