Live oak trees

smellybucksmellybuck Posts: 48 Greenhorn
Does anyone know when you can start to see acorns forming on live oak trees in N/W or North Florida? I have a few isolated Live oaks were I hunt but they rarely produce acorns, like maybe one year out of 6 years. They are varying sizes, and are mature because they do occasionally have a good year. Surprisingly they still attract deer and there will be scrapes and rubs all around them in the rut even when they don't produce. Seems like I spend a lot of time checking them

Replies

• wayviswayvis FloridaPosts: 40 Greenhorn
    They should be forming now but will be small. Some live oaks can start dropping in September, but others may not until November. Your right most will produce a good crop every 3 to 4 years. So if you just have a few trees you may not have any some years.
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 2,873 Moderator
    They should have small acorns already. Two years ago we had a monstrous acorn crop. I'm talking fresh acorns dropping a month early and running as long as 4 months later than usual. I saw 6 months of fresh live oaks in some places. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little light this year.