Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

How to keep Hunters Honest if Deer bag limits are implimented?

1235»

Replies

• gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,181 Officer
    spangler said:
    Yeah, when I said "I would love to see a chronology of florida like that", I didn't mean that it look like what WI's has looked like.  Just to be clear.  lol  Crazy. 

But I would like to see a detailed evolution of all of our game regulations.  They did it for fish.
    Fish make em more money.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,847 Captain
    I did read somewhere Florida was the first state to outlaw fire hunting. But I’ll have to look for that cite. 
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,505 Captain
    Locks are only meant to keep the honest people out .
    living life as i like
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 3,007 Captain
    I did read somewhere Florida was the first state to outlaw fire hunting. But I’ll have to look for that cite. 
    That’s was just a shot at the native Americans who had been hunting that way for the last 10,000 odd years. 
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,847 Captain
    edited August 2018 #126
    H20dad said:
    That’s was just a shot at the native Americans who had been hunting that way for the last 10,000 odd years. 
    I think it was actually a shot at Florida’s deer trade. Trade in whitetail deer skins was Florida’s number one and later number two economic activity (after beef) thru the 1800s. That’s why Florida hunters developed the solunar method. They wanted to kill the max number of deer as efficiently as possible. Basically they were doing to deer what they did to buffalo out west. The idea was that fire hunting was too efficient and would completely wipe out the herd if it continued. 

I have all of that documented somewhere. I’ll crack my books open. 

Florida was also a big sport hunting destination thruout the 1800s and into the 1900s. Apparently we were perceived to be THE place to load up on deer. 
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    Florida went form my favorite state, to my least fav in the past 5yrs, fishing included
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 3,007 Captain
    H20dad said:
    I think it was actually a shot at Florida’s deer trade. Trade in whitetail deer skins was Florida’s number one and later number two economic activity (after beef) thru the 1800s. That’s why Florida hunters developed the solunar method. They wanted to kill the max number of deer as efficiently as possible. Basically they were doing to deer what they did to buffalo out west. The idea was that fire hunting was too efficient and would completely wipe out the herd if it continued. 

I have all of that documented somewhere. I’ll crack my books open. 

Florida was also a big sport hunting destination thruout the 1800s and into the 1900s. Apparently we were perceived to be THE place to load up on deer. 
    Where do you think the white man learned this technique?  Natives through most of the Americas do not and did not eat deer meat. There is extensive writings on this and recent documentation of this with recently contacted tribes in South America that think eating deer meat makes you have sexual desires for family members. I kid you not about this. Boone and Simon Kenton documented that Indians turned down eating deer meat in the Midwest for other preferred meat. Lots of other historians have documented this as well. 

However. Natives burned the land of this nation with great intensity. One of the sadest parts of all the environmentalist actions is trying to remove human contact with areas as a means of saving them, when all of these lands have had intense human contact for the last 10,000 years and species have evolved around these activities. 
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Interesting H20Dad. I've never heard that about Indians in the midwest. I thought deer (meat in general) was always taken and thought a lot of relics showed deer skin and antler/bone used as well. I don't know a lot about South American tribes except they did have some strange beliefs. Thanks for info - gonna do some reading.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • marcel909marcel909 Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    sounds great  #Grizzl
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,160 Moderator
    james 14 said:
    You actually CAN index population change, if you know how many were harvested and the effort extended to do it. They have data on both metrics.
    If you think they need to run spotlight counts or camera surveys or aerial surveys or some other population survey to measure population response to management actions, you'd be mistaken....... again.
    He's been told this at least 10 different times over the past several years. He just refuses to listen or believe it or both.
    And James runs a facebook webpage that if you dont agree with what he says it is deleted by his tool Chuck and people become banned because Chuck feels the need to show authority due to a lack of ? ... show me some real data not some "estimate" and for the record I cant believe anyone worth the salt would not argue for real data instead of fake data? Your turn James to respond.. bring facts And I'm 100% sure I have way more experience than you will ever gain unless you live to be 100. So here's your sign...edjumacate me please. I'd love to eat crow if U can prove me wrong. Man up .... BOHICA
    First of all I don't run any FB page nor am I a moderator of any page. So you're wrong again. FWIW I didn't see any need for you to be banned when it occurred. But, like I said, it's not my show. 

There is nothing that will satisfy you. Your opinion of what is "real data" is just that...an opinion...and not one based upon any form of science. Furthermore, if you believe what they're using now is "fake" then there is nothing they can offer which you will believe. Even if they magically counted every deer in the state you'd call it "fake", cry "BOHICA" and claim "THEY" were making it all up to spread some imaginary agenda. It's the same run-around, as I said, that's been going on for years. I just hope all who are new here quickly see your posts for what they are and don't fall into the trap.

Maybe you should spend less time "bent over" waiting for "it" to "come again" (as your favorite saying goes) and get out in the woods or on the water. If you actually are maybe you should post some pictures. Maybe post one hunting/fishing thread for every "BOHICA". That might make this the most active sub on all of FS Forum.

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,866 AG
    edited August 2018 #132
    even I got hunting pics
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    don't know why the double pic?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,181 Officer
    edited August 2018 #134
    How did it eat? There's a guy in my neighborhood who cooks a few every now and then and it wasn't bad at all. 
    How did it eat? There's a guy in my neighborhood who cooks a few every now and then and it wasn't bad at all. 
    Don't know, I'll ask the guy I gave it too.
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 605 Officer
    ANUMBER1 said:
    wayvis said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    If it's made too restrictive it'll be the end of dog hunting or at least one of the final nails in the coffin.
    what would be too restrictive in your opinion?
    2 bucks,, kill a couple in archery and ain't gonna feed dogs for nothing..

Not to many in this area will shoot a doe, doe's are for kids..
    Do you really try to feed your dogs with deer meat? Deer have such a low meat to weight ratio. I dropped a 140 lb boar hog one year that was only good for dog food and they finished it in less then two days. A pack of hunting dogs could eat a lot of deer meat a year. 
    ANUMBER1 said:
    wayvis said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    If it's made too restrictive it'll be the end of dog hunting or at least one of the final nails in the coffin.
    what would be too restrictive in your opinion?
    2 bucks,, kill a couple in archery and ain't gonna feed dogs for nothing..

Not to many in this area will shoot a doe, doe's are for kids..
    Do you really try to feed your dogs with deer meat? Deer have such a low meat to weight ratio. I dropped a 140 lb boar hog one year that was only good for dog food and they finished it in less then two days. A pack of hunting dogs could eat a lot of deer meat a year. 
    No, the cost of feeding (dog food) and maintaining vet, shots, etc) dogs all year...