Anyone going out for Red Snapper Season.

Corto99Corto99 JaxPosts: 8 Greenhorn
Planning on taking my father in law out for the first time off shore for red snapper season. Anyone plan on hittng it on the first or second weekend. Looking for a partner boat to go out with if the weather is good!

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,073 Captain
    You're gonna have plenty of company lol just talk to the guy next to you in line at the ramp. Good luck!
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 317 Deckhand
    Heard they closed it Friday August 10th, so nobody go that day:)
  • GuanagatorGuanagator MayportPosts: 359 Deckhand
    It’s going to be a zoo. 
  • StayinLazyStayinLazy Posts: 405 Deckhand
    Tony Roma said:
    Heard they closed it Friday August 10th, so nobody go that day:)
    Tony, I heard the same thing!  I'm gonna go out there anyways just to double check, never can trust those shifty characters.  I'll let everybody know on the 11th
  • dlagatordlagator Posts: 790 Officer

I'm planning to pre-fish both Fridays....

You both convinced me , I’ll be pre-fishing Friday.
  • dontezumadontezuma Posts: 136 Deckhand
    I'll be among the horde Saturday, for sure. Vilano probably.  I've been out of the country - how's the fishing been the last few weeks?
  • seapro15seapro15 Posts: 82 Greenhorn
    I've got a friend that just left out of mayport ramp. He said the parking lot was full by 6:45am. This is going to be a circus!
  • Let's Go AmigoLet's Go Amigo Posts: 2,313 Captain
    No thanks...Not for one fish
  • Corto99Corto99 JaxPosts: 8 Greenhorn
    im going to try to head out later on this afternoon!! 
  • Riptide31Riptide31 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    They need a tag system so everyone doesn’t go on the same days
  • seapro15seapro15 Posts: 82 Greenhorn
    I'll be heading out this afternoon too out of sisters creek.
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 462 Deckhand
    edited August 10 #14
    Got mine this AM. Mayport wasn’t too bad if you got there early. And the marine forecast was off. 1-2 ft. seas my a$$.
    Riptide31 said:
    They need a tag system so everyone doesn’t go on the same days
    They need to keep it open for a  couple months and it wouldn't be crazy for six days
  • fsu11fsu11 Posts: 1,887 Captain
    Chongg said:
    Got mine this AM. Mayport wasn’t too bad if you got there early. And the marine forecast was off. 1-2 ft. seas my a$$.
    that was probably from all the boat wakes  :D 
  • elpollolocoelpolloloco Posts: 177 Deckhand
    Seas were not 1-2 ft, they were kinda angry. I counted over thirty boats on Pablo grounds on my way out. Crazy.
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,513 Captain
    Seas were not 1-2 ft, they were kinda angry. I counted over thirty boats on Pablo grounds on my way out. Crazy.

No doubt it was a rough ride, and rough fishing during the morning. We were at the PM/PG area, and counted 31 boats including us.
  • NBredfishNBredfish Posts: 193 Deckhand
    Agree about the seas, they were more like 3’ at 2-3 seconds. I knew when we got to mayport ramp at 545 and the wind was blowing 15 mph that they had blown the forecast. It did get nice after lunch though.

Fishing was good, we had a 4 man limit by 1130 all fish around 15-18lbs. 
    I heard from a couple people that it was tough fishing...must be the moon
    Wind finder changed the forecast, woke up at 4:30 and knew it was gonna be hairy in a 19 ft boat. Hit Vilano at 6:15 and line was to the road, things went smooth and had boat in by 6:30, plenty of bait north of inlet. Me and my boy toughed it out and hit spots 10miles out. We caught nothing! Not a grunt, cuda, remora, nothing. Decided to hit 9mile because figured the 22 boats sitting on the number had the snapper honed in,fished it for about 20 min and did not get one bite and did not see one fish go over a rail on any boat. Seas laid down enough to run out further. 15 miles, nothing . Hope somebody got on them because we sure didn’t.
  • STEEZOSTEEZO Posts: 115 Deckhand
    Yep...the weather forecast was BS.  I felt bad for the the bay boats out there.  We only caught one 6-7lbers between the four of us.
  • shallowvshallowv Posts: 176 Deckhand
    We got to Vilano around 5:30 and they were boats in the street waiting to get into the ramp.  Just north of the inlet got a well full of pogies ran up to bunnies web Standish and a few other places around there and really couldn't get much of anything going.  Kept working away made our way out to Desco and ended up with one 10-pounder.  It was a tough day plenty of Mark plenty of Life In The Water plenty of bait all around but just not much of a bite going on.  I'm glad I went Friday though there's no way I'm going on Saturday or Sunday there's just going to be too too many people out there.  The funny thing is FWC wasn't even at Vilano boat ramp to inspect my catch.   I actually went looking for them before I filleted it.  I agree with you guys if we could buy stamps or something and use them when we want to use them it would be a lot more fun than what's going on out there right now