Dealing with my own gator hides this year

4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 977 Officer
Here is the plan at the moment, please feel free to set me straight.
I have always let the processor deal with it.
-Skin, Salt, Roll and drain overnight in a cooler with an open drain.
- Carefully scrape and maybe try pressure washer to clean things up.
- Re salt and roll and put in brine: 25 gal water, 50# mixing salt, 1# Borax and pint of bleach.

Some questions assuming this will work: 
How long can I keep them in a sealed pickle barrel in a pole barn?
And how can I tell if things are going south?

Trying to avoid a bunch of trips down to Sebring, What about just freezing for a month or two?(after fleshing and salting)
I know long term freezing is no good but short term maybe?
"I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
For they always bring me tears
I can't forgive the way they rob me
Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine

Replies

• binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,871 Admiral
    refrigerate wrapped in salt and be overly generous w the salt
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 977 Officer
    Oh, you're gonna make me stink up my beer fridge? lol
    Double bagged and good till mid October you think?
    no prob
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,000 Admiral
    If you salt and freeze then when they get packed up to go to Sebring there will be no problems even if there is a delay in shipping.

The letting drain and resalting is extra work that if you scrap well to begin with is not necessary. A fine toothed fish scaller will do wonders on both small pieces of meat and some of the fat. 
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 977 Officer
    Thanks Guys.
    Not sure why I had not considered the fridge.

bswiv, I have a few different scraping tools but the scaler is a good idea to add.
    I hoped the first salt for a day or two would make the final scrape a little easier. We all cant be professionals you know:)
    I used to watch my step sister work a knife at the fish house when I was a kid, make most people feel very slow and clumsy. Which will be me and my hides, but I'll get it done.
    I'd also check them after a couple weeks or so because if you leave some meat behind or fat whatever the salt will suck the water out and you will end up with a bag full of water. Repeat as necessary
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,401 Officer
    edited August 5 #8
    Pressure washer works well. Put down piece of plywood to put hide on so you are not grinding it into concret. Putting a thin layer of salt on it will help to pull out the water. Hang on a sawhorse and 2x4 for a short period of time will drop a good bit of the water. Salt, roll if you can put a plastic tub on a shelf in the frig and use a few pieces of pvc pipe to raise the hide it will catch any excess water without keeping it on the hide. You can always drain tub if necessary. 

One last thing and important to know. Whatever the pressure washer blows off will stick and dry on other items. Spouse car should be moved to safe zone. 
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,000 Admiral
    "Spouse car should be moved to safe zone.".............!!!! OMG.....first time we tried it....what a mess. Gave up as in the market we just did not have a place where it could be done without making the cleaning crew just about spontaneously combust at the mess we made. But......it does a good job.