Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Good Happy Hour Locations...with music...

Few years ago I had a thread about diners, dive ins and drives and that was pretty successful... (https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/37654/diners-drive-ins-and-dives-what-is-your-favorite)

Changing it up a little.  Now I am looking for good happy hour spots.  In particular ones that have LIVE music.  I live pretty close to downtown St. Pete, so I personally am more interested on this side of the county but I am not opposed to driving a bit for a cold beverage and some good tunes...

Let me know what you got.  It seems to me that downtown St. Pete doesn't have much to offer but I may be missing some places.

Tight Lines...
In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

Replies

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,692 Captain
    Something I've been saying for a lonnnnng time, St Pete is missing a good local music scene.  Not sure why.  Of course, I don't go out much anymore, especially since things have changed so dramatically, so it's possible things are different with regards to music.  But I don't think so.  There are a handful of good bands around tho.  But I think good music and happy hour are even less unlikely :/

Sorry I couldn't help with the posted topic specifically but
    I heard the new place at maximo just opened up.  I think the same owners as the getaway.  Looking forward to checking that out.

Looking forward to responses to this.
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
    well.. this isn't going well

Actually, one of my buddies fills in for one of the more popular reggae style bands in the area.  I text him after you posting this, 'where's the spot' and he responded with a lol.....

It's sad.  It's probably the only thing really missing here.  And always has.  For some reason, tampa has always had a strong death metal scene.  But that's really it for the area.

Lot's of touring bands on the national circuits don't even make it down this way. 

Weird.
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • trs912trs912 Posts: 156 Deckhand
    I moved here from Austin where you pretty much couldn't go anywhere without having live music.  The challenge was finding a place that wasn't standing room only.  It seemed really strange when I moved here that there was almost none here.

The only place I've been so far that had any was Chattaway's but the night I went the "band" was so incredibly bad that people were laughing the entire time.
    edited August 2018 #5
    I love Chattaways!  Sometimes the music is.. ok.

I feel for ya.  I used to hit up Austin, before it was so uber 'cool'.  Back in the day when it was NOTHING but GREAT GREAT local bands killing it.  And just the local art talent there in general was off the charts.  I think the last time I was there was maybe around 2000.  Dated a girl that lived there and went to film school at UT.  She had some friends that worked and lived on 6th street.  Trips to Padre.  Oh the stories!  Most of which I can't tell on here...
    hey trs912, there are also some great venues here to see bands that do tour through here.  Ybor in particular has some good spots to see intimate, smaller room performances with pretty well known acts.

I'm gettin to old to stand shoulder to shoulder in a crowd lol
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,317 Captain
    Wow, this list is pretty crappy...

I will throw a couple in.

Omaddy's in Gulfport
    Salty's in Gulfport
    The Greek Restaurant in Gulfport
    Manatees in Gulfport

Omaddy's could be every night.  The others I think more on the weekends.  Salty's has had some really good local bands play there over the last 6 months or so.  
    Love Omaddy's and Salty's
  • ALASKA GUYALASKA GUY Posts: 102 Deckhand
    edited August 2018 #9
    Nepa Hut Thursdays,    Charlie is great when hes around.  Nepa hut the most NW corner of the bay
  • TailSpotterTailSpotter St.PetePosts: 44 Greenhorn
    Wow, this list is pretty crappy...

I will throw a couple in.

Omaddy's in Gulfport
    Salty's in Gulfport
    The Greek Restaurant in Gulfport
    Manatees in Gulfport

Omaddy's could be every night.  The others I think more on the weekends.  Salty's has had some really good local bands play there over the last 6 months or so.

Shhhh...Gulfport is a closely held secret spot. Like GPS #s... B)
  • TailSpotterTailSpotter St.PetePosts: 44 Greenhorn
    Johns pass has a bunch also with live "Bands" 
    Gators..Slyce up in Bay Pines has music on the weekends. 
    If you wanna talk good music spots (w/o the happy hour lol). Here's some staples

Ale and the Witch
    Ruby's Elixir
    Blueberry Patch
    My absolute favorite venue for bigger acts, Jannus Landing

In tampa, i gotta throw out
    Skipper's (my next fav venue in the area)
    Rock Brother's Brewing
  • trs912trs912 Posts: 156 Deckhand
    Oh, yeah, forgot about Ale and Witch.  Great place.  If you haven't been there, it is open air and you just find a table.  Nice beer pub with lots of choices.  Place to get wine as well.  Good vibe.
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    Just go wherever the Black Honkeys play and you won’t regret it 
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,317 Captain
    Honkeys are great.  I am looking for kevin toon type stuff too...Just a dude or dudette with a guitar is fine with me...Just something to relax too enjoying a cold beverage or two...

Billy's Crab shack has music in the upstairs bar on weekends for sure too.
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,693 AG
    Tampa Bay doesnt have a local music scene?!

Roflmao! Its probably better than it's ever been in my 35 years. 

Maybe not the type of music you like, albeit. But wow, there's local bands killing it up and down the beaches, downtown, Tampa, Bradenton Beach, holmes beach, etc.

Reggae (white boy reggae, as it were) is huge here, huge. Jurassic rock and cover bands play almost every night at dozens of places. Hip hop has a scene, punk, metal, indie, singer songwriters, etc.

Get out of your bubble, get on social media, get the bands in town app, newsletters, etc.

No music scene in TB... Bless your hearts
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    My buddy down there likes this place. He is also a musician.

edited August 2018 #18
    rock_fish said:
    Maybe not the type of music you like, albeit. But wow, there's local bands killing it up and down the beaches, downtown, Tampa, Bradenton Beach, holmes beach, etc.
    That's kinda the point.  Maybe you've never lived or been to somewhere with a great music scene.  In those places, there are sooo many choices of insanely talented acts, regardless of the music you like.  Sorry, it's not here.  Tampa is honestly probably better with regards to this.  But no.  Def not great.

There are and always have been a handful of bands that dominate around here.  Still today.  Sure they're are a ton of reggae rock bands here.  A few are really good. 

This place (over on the beaches) is and always has been dominated by cover bands.. for the tourists.  Some are great.  But cover bands, also don't make a great music scene imho.  Just me.

I've been here a while.  Things look insanely different in just the last 5 years.  Things may be changing.  I hope they are!  Trust me.  I've definitely been in a bubble as things have blown out of control around here.  Mostly woods and water for the last 5 or so. 

..but this 'list' doesn't exactly elicit much hope.

• rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,693 AG
    Um, ok, if you say so.

You could always take a left onto I75
  • Eric BEric B Posts: 133 Deckhand
    Hey CaptainBly,

The City has installed some parking metered slips in the City Marina at the North/West Corner of the facility right at Fresco's. They sometime have live music and a great bar atmosphere. If thats not for you throw a few extra coins in the meter and walk Beach Drive. There are tons of bars there. If your near Gandy the Getaway is at the far West end of the bridge. All good fun there. There is also a marina bar inside of Salt Creek at the high and dry called Fish Tails. Some of the locals avoid this spot because it is right in the in the boat yard district and during the day all the painting and aluminum dust from sanding bottoms is a little creepy to think about, but after 5pm it seems safe to me

Enjoy!
    Eric B said:
    during the day all the painting and aluminum dust from sanding bottoms is a little creepy to think about, but after 5pm it seems safe to me
    ahhhh man.  you just ruined Fish Tails for me :(  lol, I never heard that before.  Mostly go at night anyhoo.

hey rocky, feel free to contribute to the list.  That's the point of threads like these...
  • Eric BEric B Posts: 133 Deckhand
    Hey Spangler. I was warned by a buddy who owns a Boat Yard across the canal. Hadn't really thought about it till he saw me there eating lunch with my boy and rang me up right quick like!