Spanish Mackerel Tips for Beginners

HFFHFF Posts: 134 Deckhand
Error

Replies

• Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,465 AG
    You giving tips or asking for tips?
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • jdl1948jdl1948 Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    Looks like he changed his mind or doesn't know.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 98 Greenhorn
    Don't fish for them in August
  • SmoothwaterSmoothwater Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Gotcha plug, cast and repeat!
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 615 Officer
    edited August 1 #6
    ^this.  plus 40 lb mono/flouro leader.  Silver spoons work well too.  You can throw a gotcha a lot farther tho.

look for the birds
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,499 Admiral
    Was thinking of hitting the bay next week to catch some up.   or try.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,266 AG
    Reel fast.
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 138 Deckhand
    Did you give it a go?  Any luck?  

I might try this weekend.  I'd like a couple for the smoker = fish spread  :p
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 615 Officer
    They're def some schools out there.  Seen em driving bait to the birds, drivin over gandy yesterday
  • DfreedomDfreedom Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    Was down in June and being new to the area was struggling a bit to find fish.  Found huge schools of baitfish in the southeast part of the harbor so we decided to get up amongst them and throw some spoons.  The Spanish hit just about anything we threw at them but seemed to prefer silver spoons.  Had a blast watching sharks and dolphin chasing hooked spanish to the boat.  We had never caught Spanish before and had a blast.  Had no idea they were so good filleted and grilled.  One of my new favorite fish!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,499 Admiral
    SuperMutu said:
    Did you give it a go?  Any luck?  

I might try this weekend.  I'd like a couple for the smoker = fish spread  :p
    posted a report this morning, it wasn't pretty  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • MoscadorMoscador Posts: 37 Greenhorn

They have been off of St. Pete Beach in 15 to 20 ft. the last few days. You can't miss  the birds and the blow ups. They are feeding on 1 1/2 to 2 inch bait fish. Most of the SM are small, +/- 1 lb. but there are a few big ones mixed in with them. I hooked a 3 lb. one that pulled good drag off my 8 wt. I threw small green/ blue and white flies at them and could have caught as many as I wanted. Use a small trace of light wire to keep from losing the flies if you go this route. In any case, I think they will hit just about any small lure that moves fast.

Good luck and good fishing,

Mosca