VHF Antenna

mattb78mattb78 Posts: 196 Deckhand
When the weather starts to cool down in the fall I was thinking of running my boat offshore perhaps up to 20 miles out. I have a handheld now but will be installing a fixed mount VHF and wanted your opinions on the most convenient antenna.

Since most of my stuff is inshore 90% of my trips I won't need the VHF that often.

For those that only occasionally venture offshore what has been the most convenient setup for your VHF antenna?

Replies

• shamrock1188shamrock1188 Posts: 272 Deckhand
    A 3ft stainless vhf antenna works best for me. Had 8 foot fiberglass antenna before always breaking them. A 3 foot stainless antenna will give you less range then a 8 foot but if the 8 foot is broken then your VHF is useless.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,282 Officer
    Since i cover my boat with a custom cover i use  a detachable stainless VHF antenna that has a stainless steel twist cam lock. It can be attached in seconds.
    Giimoozaabi
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,659 Admiral
    Mount it as high as you possibly can. 
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,677 Moderator
    surfman said:
    Mount it as high as you possibly can. 
    I second this. I have a 8ft on my tee top, we were about 25 miles out off Boca Grand, well it happened I needed to call Tow Boat  they are located in Charlotte Harbor. That is 30  Plus miles from there location, they heard me loud and clear.
     Get it as high as you can. 
    larrywitt
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,024 Officer
    If you carry a pushpole, you can buy a spare 3', base-loaded antenna and a long cable. Then, if you get stuck, you can strap the spare antenna to your pushpole, attach the long cable, hook it up to your radio, raise the pushpole, and really reach out and touch someone. If you look around, you may be able to find a 6db, base-loaded antenna. Most are 3db and designed to send a signal over a wide arc on the top of a sailboat's mast. You'll get considerably more distance with a 6db antenna.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,659 Admiral
    My old boat had a bimini top, I mounted it on the frame of the bimini so that it was high when the top was up but, of course when the top was down it was at the height of the gunwales. Still worked great though. Biminis are kind of in the way for inshore fishing but, off shore I used it a lot.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 307 Deckhand
    Antennas send different signal patterns out. I would look into that and make a choice.