Public land food plot program (DIY)

spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 620 Officer
edited July 24 in General Hunting #1
So I recently suggested on the fishing forums, that a process be put in place that allows individuals to create 'DIY' artificial reefs.  I was extremely impressed to learn that Alabama has just that.  AND, Alabama happens to have the highest percentage of Red Snapper take in the recreational sector.  Pretty cool.

I wholeheartedly believe that to accommodate the explosion in population, we need to start being Proactive in managing habitat.  We need to optimize our resource production.  Supplemental management may become a valid strategy, if it isn't already.

Yet, I know there will never be enough money, which is why I think their should be some process to allow stakeholders to participate and help improve things on their own.

Maybe we could do something similar for public land.  Some type of permitting and regulations that would allow users to legally plant "food plots", fertilize or otherwise improve habitat.  I get there would be more challenges to implementing something that makes sense, compared to artificial reefs.  Help me brainstorm.  Maybe it's not a good idea.  But maybe it is.

Replies

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 620 Officer
    edited July 24 #2

Obviously, we don’t want people going out there with tractors or clearing trees.  But maybe allowing for small scale, discreet plots could work.  And be worth it?  Mineral licks, approved seed/plants, fertilizers, etc.  I don’t know.  If people want bigger deer, mabye even allow feeders on public land, with approved methods and feed…

And obviously, it’d be open game for anyone. You couldn’t claim a food plot just because you tended to it.  That would have to be very clear.  You can do it, but it is for the benefit of all. (not saying you'd have to provide gps coords either tho lol)

• GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 726 Officer
    spangler said:

And obviously, it’d be open game for anyone. You couldn’t claim a food plot just because you tended to it.  That would have to be very clear.  You can do it, but it is for the benefit of all. (not saying you'd have to provide gps coords either tho lol)

Hunters will threaten to kill other hunters if the hunt within 100 yards of "Their" tree stand....ya...the above will work alright...it will work to get people killed. Besides..acclimating deer to a food source and increasing the carrying capacity artificially through the "whims" of hunters who may/may not follow through over the years destroys the balance of the PUBLIC Land and changes the deer patterns artificially. I personally don't want to hunt a baited area
    lol, yeah, you're prob right.  On all the above
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,667 Admiral
    isnt that the job of our FWCC? 
    edited July 24 #6
    Yeah, I think it should be.  They should be consistently doing burns and roller chopping and whatever else makes good sense.  I was just trying to think outside the box acknowledging limited resources.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,777 AG
    Food plots don't manage for better game, they just concentrate it for the lazy hunters...
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
    i thought AR's were for lazy hunters
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 417 Deckhand
    The PA Game Commission plants some food plots on game lands. 
    Chongg said:
    The PA Game Commission plants some food plots on game lands. 
    Lots of "Public Access" hunting areas plant food plots as part of THEIR management plans. When the governing body does this..that is fine because it is consistent and managed to supplement NOT alter (make primary) seasonal patterns. I still don't hunt these locations because the deer learn to hit them after hunting hours (the deer I'm wanting to see). Fields are a natural product of fires and new growth after a fire is a magnet..burning and planting are important for carrying capacity but you don't want "hunters" managing/altering the environment. The WMA's I hunt regularly burn and plow to enhance new growth consistent with natural fire patterns without the catastrophic super fire results. That is game management by biologists..I'm all for that
    ever been to Joe Budd? That place has been managed by FWC for decades and its still below average hunting,and it has plenty of plots
    ever been to Joe Budd? That place has been managed by FWC for decades and its still below average hunting,and it has plenty of plots
    That close to Tallahassee it must get hammered pretty good along with all the other activities. I know Ft Belvior, VA has some monster deer..but because it's 10 Miles from Wash DC you have to hunt within sight of picnicking families and PT'ing solders. Archery Only for that reason. I'd imagine JB is like that..miserable way to hunt
    Joe Budd has very limited hunting opp's , its been managed exactly like FWCC has always envisioned and yet is still far from productive
  • wayviswayvis FloridaPosts: 34 Greenhorn
    Joe Budd has very limited hunting opp's , its been managed exactly like FWCC has always envisioned and yet is still far from productive
    So what do you think is the reason for this?
    same reason why their dove hunts suck!
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,232 Captain
    edited July 25 #16
    They have had food plots in Tide Swamp where I hunt sometimes but they haven't planted anything on them in a few years. I was wondering the same thing basically if I could volunteer to help out. I don't have any equipment for that though and obviously the return would probably be zero, especially since I am not doing all that well to begin with. :) I need to just bite the bullet I guess and get on a lease and bait the darn things up like everyone else. Or chase them out into the open with a pack of dogs.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
    surfman said:
    They have had food plots in Tide Swamp where I hunt sometimes but they haven't planted anything on them in a few years. I was wondering the same thing basically if I could volunteer to help out. I don't have any equipment for that though and obviously the return would probably be zero, especially since I am not doing all that well to begin with. :) I need to just bite the bullet I guess and get on a lease and bait the darn things up like everyone else. Or chase them out into the open with a pack of dogs.
    The way I see it is the Quota System as IS prevents hunters from benefiting from year to year knowledge of deer patterns. One option *I* have been thinking about is limiting Quota Permits to residents withing 50 miles of the WMA (maybe 100..or even a graduating scale pertaining to miles from WMA..whatever). If you want to hunt "Out of Area" you have to pay a separate fee JUST TO APPLY. People who live close to a WMA should have "preference". THAT would increase participation from local residents who spend money locally supporting the Pro Shops.

YA..I know some of the best WMA's to hunt would cost more money for those willing to travel and camp and the locals would catch a break but *I* am OK with that.

This would cut down on all the NO SHOWS at a WMA from people who decide late not to travel and hunt and/or request 5 permits and get drawn for a hunt they KNOW they have little probability of using...

Too many no shows based on what I'm seeing where you know locals would at least show up.

• H20dadH20dad Posts: 854 Officer
    GRIZZL said:
    surfman said:
    The way I see it is the Quota System as IS prevents hunters from benefiting from year to year knowledge of deer patterns. One option *I* have been thinking about is limiting Quota Permits to residents withing 50 miles of the WMA (maybe 100..or even a graduating scale pertaining to miles from WMA..whatever). If you want to hunt "Out of Area" you have to pay a separate fee JUST TO APPLY. People who live close to a WMA should have "preference". THAT would increase participation from local residents who spend money locally supporting the Pro Shops.

YA..I know some of the best WMA's to hunt would cost more money for those willing to travel and camp and the locals would catch a break but *I* am OK with that.

This would cut down on all the NO SHOWS at a WMA from people who decide late not to travel and hunt and/or request 5 permits and get drawn for a hunt they KNOW they have little probability of using...

Too many no shows based on what I'm seeing where you know locals would at least show up.

If they did this with the stas as well I’d 10,000% back it.  Make it 75 miles not 50 though. 
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,232 Captain
    Never happen because it isn't a fair deal.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
    Make it 100

Urban centers, which have higher demand, would not be accommodated by local supply.

• Big MakBig Mak Posts: 1,637 Captain
    Lol! Astounding!
    edited July 25 #22
    Ok... well, at 50 miles, I'd have a 2700K property to share with a million other people....
    edited July 25 #23
    Doesn't everyone take into consideration the availability of uncrowded close public hunting land and good fishing opportunities when they decide to settle on a home? Crazy! ;)
    I thought it was mostly work, but I guess we are flush with jobs...
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 514 Officer
    Before anything like this is considered, someone in FWC needs to tell us how many of the quotas are going to anti hunters!
    I try to stay under 80 miles. I don't think this would even be given a moment of thought by FWC. Too difficult for the company programmers doing the quotas. 
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,554 Captain
    Cyclist said:
    Doesn't everyone take into consideration the availability of uncrowded close public hunting land and good fishing opportunities when they decide to settle on a home? Crazy! ;)
    I sure did. We picked a good location for an outdoors lifestyle and tailored our jobs and home accordingly.  
    Before anything like this is considered, someone in FWC needs to tell us how many of the quotas are going to anti hunters!
    I try to stay under 80 miles. I don't think this would even be given a moment of thought by FWC. Too difficult for the company programmers doing the quotas. 
    This would be a easy program to insert just reading zip codes and have an auto charge on the acceptance page of the web page that says you must buy the application.. Also, I'd say 75% of spaces are for locals and 25% up for "Out of Area". As for city folk...like cyclist said..they chose to live there. I commuted 70 miles each way to live in the country.

Bottom line..I think it is "playing fair" for the local population (who has more vested interest in THAT WMA) to have a greater probability of drawing a pass close to home.

I actually think that would increase the # of hunters WHO WILL HUNT rain or shine

Simple..you must have a current Hunting License AND the Mgmt Area Stamp to apply..not just the stamp. I play that game too..If I don't get drawn..I don't buy a license..I hunt up north
    The Fwc is doing a much better job of keeping hunters out of public lands than any anti hunter ever has to date. The public needs to go full hammer on the Fwc about it. 
    Cyclist said:
    I have more public land near me in south Florida than you do anywhere else in the state. My barrier is not other hunters or large population. It is the Fwc. Heck. They flush a lot of guys from down by me up to you northern Floridians. And let’s be honest the guys from south Florida crush it. You guys should be hammmering the Fwc about opening our lands down here for your own sakes.  
    H20dad said:
    Cyclist said:
    I have more public land near me in south Florida than you do anywhere else in the state. My barrier is not other hunters or large population. It is the Fwc. Heck. They flush a lot of guys from down by me up to you northern Floridians. And let’s be honest the guys from south Florida crush it. You guys should be hammmering the Fwc about opening our lands down here for your own sakes.  
    Is it all FWCs fault, or a mix with SFWMD and the Feds? My go to WMA is with St. Johns River WMD and they are pretty good to hunters and they manage land well. Not all WMDs are as good.