Live bait for beach snook

SnookSlob1SnookSlob1 Posts: 53 Greenhorn
hi, I’ve been having success throwing artificials on the beach, but all the fish have been low 30’s and below. Would a live grunt or something like that help get bigger fish? Also would you cast parrallel to the beach like an artificial?

thanks

Replies

• DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 558 Officer
    edited July 21 #2

Mullet rig

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • SnookSlob1SnookSlob1 Posts: 53 Greenhorn

Mullet rig

What is that?
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 5,668 Admiral

Mullet rig

What is that?
     illegal for snook  in Fl
  • SnookSlob1SnookSlob1 Posts: 53 Greenhorn

Mullet rig

What is that?
     illegal for snook  in Fl
    Didn’t look very legal lol
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,504 Captain
    Biggest snook I've caught was on a 5 to 6 inch pinfish.  Having said that it wasn't much bigger than ones I've caught on artificial.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 5,668 Admiral

Mullet rig

What is that?
     illegal for snook  in Fl
    Didn’t look very legal lol
    Multiple hooks and bait are a no go,  
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 558 Officer
    My apologies sorry I couldn't be of any help.
    We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,057 Captain
    White bait 
  • Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    big ladyfish, mullet, sand perch ,pin fish/pig fish and whitebait are some basic ones that work
  • albacizedalbacized Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    While I only light tackle fish for snook (therefore, the 30" mark is my max), I have watched guys fish for big snook off some of the SE FL piers and anything that is legal is fair game. They use blue runners, ladyfish, moonfish (or lookdowns???) and a host of other things...and just to give you an idea, while not used as bait, I have seen big snook try to take other hooked fish, such as smaller snook, spanish mackerel, bonita, barracuda, etc etc etc...If there's not a law against using a specific species for bait, I don't know how you can go wrong in trying it out...

And speaking of mullet, when I fish the other coast (venice), I'll be off minding my own business catching smaller snook (20" or less) on the fly rod, completely oblivious to any notion that bigger fish may be around....until someone rolls up with a barrel sized live well full of mullet and start pulling up 40" snook...and on a similar note, I sometimes get ladyfish mixed with the smaller snook and I end up giving them up to other fishermen looking for snook or tarpon....and I have seen 40" snook as well as jumped (not landed) tarpon that were hooked on baits I have given up to them

So if I were you, my only consideration would be 'is this legal to use'...beyond that, I wouldn't be too particular  (I'm sure there are exceptions such as trigger fish, burrfish, etc...but just use a little common sense with that)
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,712 AG
    Fish...are less particular about what they will eat....than a goat....

What bait is prevalent in the surf when you are fishing?....That would be what I use.
    Here in EC Fla...Croakers work well.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 660 Officer
    Of course a grunt or pilchard in the trough would be pretty successful this time of year. I'm not so sure you're going to get bigger fish than you would with an artificial. If you're set on throwing a live bait, a mullet on a jig head is almost can't-miss
  • JEN'S REVENGEJEN'S REVENGE Posts: 587 Officer
    Just make sure you walk into chest deep water and cast as far as possible 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 619 Officer
    When I purposefully go for monster snook, can't beat a 12" mullet or ladyfish. 
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,537 Captain
    Big fish are often lazy, try cut hog leg mullet.