FWC and shark fishing from shore

cprcpr Posts: 9,292 Admiral

Florida Fish and Wildlife seeks public input on shore-based shark fishing

By Holly Gregory  |  July 18, 2018 @4:59 PM

PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. -- Some changes could be on the way when it comes to reeling in sharks in Florida.

• FWC considering revising rules for shore-based shark fishing
  • Reasoning includes safety of swimmers, conservation of sharks
  • Click HERE for schedule of workshops

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is looking for public input on possible changes to regulations governing shore-based shark fishing at public beaches and piers.

Some ideas being considered include requiring a special permit for shark fishing and only allowing shark anglers to fish at night.

Part of the reasoning supporting revising the rules is to protect swimmers at busy beaches.

That, however, doesn’t make much sense to Mike Loudenslager, a shark angler who casts his lines near the Sunshine Skyway fishing pier.

“Sharks are going to be by the shore regardless whether we are catching them or not,” said Loudenslager.  “It is just part of living here.”

Another reason for the proposed changes is to protect the sharks. They are often caught for sport and released, but there’s been a recent uptick in social media posts showing anglers holding the sharks out of the water, sitting on them and even holding their mouths open.

FWC is hosting a series of public workshops to collect feedback on the subject. The first is tonight at State College of Florida in Bradenton at 6 p.m.

Additional meetings are planned throughout August in Panama City, Pensacola, South Daytona, Jacksonville, Melbourne Beach, West Palm Beach, Miami and Key Colony Beach.

Ahh, what happens when a shark eats my pinfish I had flopping around trying to catch a snook? Dumb, PC nonsense.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,504 Captain
    edited July 18 #2
    I'm pretty confident one can quickly take a look at your gear and figure out if you are shark fishing or not.  That Penn Senator 12/0 and 400 lb leader isn't for snook fishing.  I love how shark fishermen assume everybody is stupid.

Edit

On a side note I have a friend who just landed a 7 ft shark.  Want to guess what the picture looked like? Yep, shark was beached, he was sitting on the shark's back holding the mouth open.  
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,292 Admiral
      B) That Penn Senator 12/0 and 400 lb leader isn't for snook fishing, you are right but maybe beach tarpon fishing. The only time I jumped a tarpon was shark fishing. Go figure. B) 
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

edited July 19 #4
    cpr said:
      B) That Penn Senator 12/0 and 400 lb leader isn't for snook fishing, you are right but maybe beach tarpon fishing. The only time I jumped a tarpon was shark fishing. Go figure. B) 
    You still aren't using that setup for tarpon fishing.  Heavy Rod with a 6000, maybe 8000 series reel.  You certainly aren't using a 400 lb leader for tarpon, a tarpon leader would be 80 lb tops.  Most definitely tarpon fishermen aren't using steal leaders. 

Again, the pretense that shark fisherman are simply fishing and there is no way to know they are specifically targeting sharks is insulting to one's intelligence.  It isn't hard to figure out who is and who isn't targeting sharks.  

Edit

Shark fisherman are better off arguing for their rights as opposed to thinking everybody is stupid.  Given they are entitled to their rights and not everybody is stupid.  
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,292 Admiral
    You are correct about the right to fish. The reason I mentioned bycatch is a long long time ago and many many crashes ago, a few beach fishermen posted they were given a hard time by the FWC for hooking snook out of season. Maybe there are a few pros who can target and catch what they want but anytime my drag starts to sing I'm happy as long as it's not a catfish. And to finish for the night many a balcktip has been caught on 20# fluro.

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,378 Admiral
    It's sad to see a beached dead Shark. No matter what you think of them their millions of years ld and Survivors.
    Having said that I think the Mortality rate for shoreline Sharks is Way below Long liners  , Factory Net boats ect.
    You just happen to see it on the 6 o'clock news..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    edited July 19 #7
    Given the rarity of swimmers being attacked by sharks I'm not too sure what the concern is, in terms of swimmers safety.  I would like to see better handling of large sharks.  Another poster said it the other day, beaching sharks needs to stop yesterday.  
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 413 Deckhand
    edited July 21 #8
    I HARDLY think landing a Blacktip, spinner, lemon shark on the beach and doing a quick, and respectful CPR(catch photo and release) is doing anymore harm than it does to Any other fish being caught daily in the ocean!!!

If you catch and release fish in the ocean, yet say that quickly catching and releasing a shark on the beach is killing the shark, then I’m sorry, but I’m not sure what planet your on.

I had a 7 foot lemon on, off a Jetty, and had some yoga lady “Screaming” my freakin ear off, that I was killing God’s beautiful creature, and that I should cut the line right there. I mean she was screaming so bad I thought someone was drowning out there.

People need to quit twisting the facts! Fisherman have rights too, and every shark fisherman I have personally met has been truly respectful to the fish. 

Sure, there are bad ones out there, who unfortunately give a bad name for the the rest. But by and large,
    a lot of folks are very respectful.

If these people want to claim that we are killing them by bringing them to the beach, then they better bring hard, factual, proof. And not a bunch of BS about what they THINK is happening.
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 558 Officer
    I threw A piece of bait in the water and look what ate it.

op·por·tun·is·tic
    ˌäpərt(y)o͞oˈnistik/
    adjective
    1. exploiting chances offered by immediate circumstances without reference to a general plan or moral principle.

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
    edited July 21 #10
    I HARDLY think landing a Blacktip, spinner, lemon shark on the beach and doing a quick, and respectful CPR(catch photo and release) is doing anymore harm than it does to Any other fish being caught daily in the ocean!!!

If you catch and release fish in the ocean, yet say that quickly catching and releasing a shark on the beach is killing the shark, then I’m sorry, but I’m not sure what planet your on.

I had a 7 foot lemon on, off a Jetty, and had some yoga lady “Screaming” my freakin ear off, that I was killing God’s beautiful creature, and that I should cut the line right there. I mean she was screaming so bad I thought someone was drowning out there.

People need to quit twisting the facts! Fisherman have rights too, and every shark fisherman I have personally met has been truly respectful to the fish. 

Sure, there are bad ones out there, who unfortunately give a bad name for the the rest. But by and large,

If these people want to claim that we are killing them by bringing them to the beach, then they better bring hard, factual, proof. And not a bunch of BS about what they THINK is happening.
    https://www.int-res.com/abstracts/meps/v496/p207-218/

Apparently Blacktips are incredibly sensitive and die easily.

I'll preface this by saying I haven't done a bunch of research, so I could be mistaken and I most certainly don't have exact numbers.  Having said that from my understanding what separately sharks from other fish species is breeding capacity.  Meaning sharks don't breed often, they don't produce many offspring and those offspring take a long time to reach sexual maturity.  I am making up numbers but if species "A" produces 10 offspring a year that take 5 years to reach sexual maturity, while species "B" produces 3000 offspring that reach sexual maturity in 12 months....  yeah, the rules shouldn't be the same for those two species.  The idea that all species should be treated the same simply because you like catching them is nonsense.    
    edited July 21 #11
    spiny dogfish vs. smooth dogfish - Gummy shark

I wouldn't do that if I were you.

Temperate climate
    In geography, the temperate or tepid climates of Earth occur in the middle latitudes,
    which span between the tropics and the polar regions of Earth.

“Where the Gulf Stream meets the Labrador Current” ... The reason is because this is exactly where the
    Gulf Stream and the Labrador Current meet. The clash of hot and cold waters is what makes this area so
    rich in sea life. Here at the tip of Cape Hatteras, you can smell the two currents clashing and blending.
    edited July 21 #12
    https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/fish/discover/species-profiles/carcharhinus-limbatus/

according to that article a black tip reproduces once a year, and has 1-10 offspring.  And sexual maturity is 3+ feet.  

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/species/strout/

This article claims speckled trout spawn multiple times a year, reach sexual maturity in a year and can produce over 100,000 eggs.  

Comparing the two species is apples and oranges.  Simple biology folks.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,656 Admiral
    I have caught thousands of lbs of sharks and there is still plenty left.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ANUMBER1 said:
    I have caught thousands of lbs of sharks and there is still plenty left.
    Make sure to present your sound scientific study to the committee, I'm sure the Artism will impress them.  
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,155 Captain
    edited July 22 #15

They are looking for public input. But I think it’s mostly a tourist thing. And just curious, where do you think factual proof comes from?
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,469 AG
    The sharks will still be there even if they pass a rule banning surf fishing for them.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.

I agree you're right!

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,712 AG
    The sharks will still be there even if they pass a rule banning surf fishing for them.

Make it like gator....lottery for tags and $275 to catch ( land ) 2....Otherwise you may not bring them onto the beach. It will take kids and idiots out of the equation. 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • pandespandes spainPosts: 3 Greenhorn
    Pretty interesting posting
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 98 Greenhorn
    Again I must state that there is 1000 mi of coastline in FL. I don't  see any blanket rule for this. The driving force behind this is the tourist trade and I wonder how many of them fish here because they might catch a shark. 
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 619 Officer
    edited July 23 #21
    Sucks, I've been out of town for the meeting that would have been most convenient for me.  But I'll try my hardest to get to one of them.  Either way, I'll be providing a written comment as well.

The regulation craze is getting out of control.  Please take this into consideration when providing feedback.

I agree a blanket ban on shark fishing from beaches is completely ridiculous.  It's a big state folks.  Lots of beaches that aren't swarming with people.  Nevermind, that some of the big sharks come in during the winter...

This is another perfect example of a FEW people with poor common sense, potentially ruining things for a whole bunch of other people.  Things like chumming around crowds demonstrates poor decision making.

If you absolutely feel like something must be done, please use common sense restraint when offering your feedback.

I could be ok with no chumming from the beach during the day and no beaching of sharks over X feet.  And maybe, for some of the most popular beaches, only shark fishing at night.  Anything else would hurt fishing as a whole more than help.

@DuckmanJR, please tell me your joking.  I don't think that comes across to everyone on here.  Worse idea yet.
  • deewelchdeewelch USAPosts: 9 Greenhorn
    Sharks have been roaming Florida waters as long as we have known. They were incident of shark attacks in Florida which is really scary. On the other hand, we should preserve these sharks to balance the ecosystem. My suggestion is to let the people know to avoid shark-infested waters. For fishermen, they should limit shark preying as far as possible.
    spangler said:

@DuckmanJR, please tell me your joking.  I don't think that comes across to everyone on here.  Worse idea yet.

The word would be * worst* .....

Tell me what makes it the worst..... 

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 98 Greenhorn
    How about 275 bucks so I can take a couple of bonnet sharks for dinner. As I have said before I don't think there is a blanket solution to this
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 2,862 Captain
    I dont think it's the beaching of sharks. People just dont like people fishing on the beach past 8am sharks or not. I've had people berate me and I was catching Whiting before.
    edited July 23 #26
    Reel Teal said:
    I dont think it's the beaching of sharks. People just dont like people fishing on the beach past 8am sharks or not. I've had people berate me and I was catching Whiting before.
    I've experienced the same.  Frankly I just stopped surf fishing and bought a kayak.  Kayak fishing is more successful for me than surf fishing ever was.  Ultimately I have mixed feelings.  I love fishing but I also understand why swimmers don't like hooks where their kids are swimming.  Seems like the easiest fix is fishinf only areas of the beach along with swimming only.  Or build more piers.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 2,862 Captain
    It's the ocean. Not a swimming pool.
    edited July 23 #28
    Reel Teal said:
    It's the ocean. Not a swimming pool.
    Tell that to all the businesses that make billions from tourism.  I maybe jaded but I don't see local officials giving beach goers and surf fisherman equal rights.  One brings in far more money than the other.

Either way, I'm happy with my kayak.  
    Lostconch said:
    How about 275 bucks so I can take a couple of bonnet sharks for dinner. As I have said before I don't think there is a blanket solution to this
    How about eat pompano and whiting.... ? 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 619 Officer
    edited July 24 #30
    oh boy...  You do get that this is a conversational forum?  No one is submitting anything on here for publication.  First drafts.  When I happen reread one of my posts, and have time to fix grammatical errors (before id'd by someone else's ego), I do.  But thanks for jumping ahead.  Yup, made a grammatical mistake lol  But then, it does remind me of your usual intent... to troll.  I thought it was humor at first :rollseyes

Why a horrible idea?  Isn't it entirely self evident?  No?  Here, I'll help:
    1. Further loss of access
    2. It doesn't just take care of kids (not sure why you don't want kids fishing??) and 'idiots', It will ELIMINATE the AVERAGE PERSON
    3. $275 is an egregious amount, for any permit!
    4. Unenforceable
    5. Hurts R3 (yes, lot's of kids want the excitement of catching a big shark, I did)
    6. Fixing so called problems, with, more problems
    Moving on,

I LOVE the idea of build more piers.  Perhaps, any beach that wants to restrict fishing, should be required to build a pier.  Can't just take take take

This one catches them bigger. But the six outfit with the spoon doesn't work well with the spinner.

This one catches them better. But the four outfit doesn't throw the spoon good.

How do you know.

Look it's braid. UH DUH! ;)