Knot issue?

SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 138 Deckhand
Trolling on Hubbard's, 100lb braid to a 150lb swivel, 20' of 100lb mono to a xrap.

I got nailed, rod slammed down and it was over.  Reeled in and the knot at the swivel pulled.

I've done this many times, rigged the same way and landed fish.  Now I don't have confidence in my knot.  I pay attention for nicks, make sure the knots cinch down good.

So, what knot would you use going from braid to swivel?  My other connections are crimped.

Replies

• FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,040 Captain
    Try an Albright?
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 2,854 Captain
    Palomar. But I wouldn't really use a swivel. Maybe put it on the xrap?
  • XafXaf Posts: 970 Officer
    edited July 26 #4

According to this test 
    https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/best-fishing-knot-for-braided-line-swivel-hook-lure/
    the multi-turn uni knot is the strongest but like they discuss I would eliminate the swivel and go with a line-to-line knot.  I personally prefer the FG knot but there are many that will work double uni, surgeons knot, alberto, slim beauty, aussie quickie, etc. 

Sport Fishing did a comparison of 53 knots:
    https://www.sportfishingmag.com/strongest-fishing-knots-braid-to-leader
    If I remember correctly their tests showed that the PR Bobbin knot was the strongest for heavy mono.  The nice thing about this website is that they show how to tie the various knots. 

Bottom line is that there are many knots that will get the job done.  The best one is the one you can tie correctly and have confidence in.  
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,193 Moderator
    edited July 18 #5
    Palomar if you really must use a swivel.   But like RT, I would not put a swivel there.  I'd use a PR or FG knot to connect braid to mono, or even a bimini or spider hitch and then a Bristol, but that might be too much for 100#, so I'd do the FG or PR knot
  • NitzeyNitzey Posts: 98 Greenhorn
    Uni for braid.  Be sure to pass the line twice through the swivel end.  Double uni is best but single uni is easier to tie, and what I use.
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 558 Officer

Tie an improved clinch. Leave a 1/4 inch of tag line after pulled hard.
    It should feel like it's cutting into your skin. In Along grueling battle the
    knot has room to get tighter, not unravel. Ten wraps from the tag end
    around the running line.

Up above is A oldie but A goody. The Cats Paw.

My favorite! Use the double line from the Bimini.

If one end of the double line some how breaks the other end holds. ;)

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,289 Officer
    Braid 100lb & up to a swivel........palomar all day, every day.......easy to tie fast & could probably pull a truck with it.

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,277 AG
    edited July 19 #9
    I double the braid and tie a unit knot with seven turns, like the video posted above:

Palmoar also works very well.

But do you really need the swivel?  I'd probably tie a spider hitch in the braid and then into an albright going directly to the mono and get rid of the swivel entirely.

edited July 19 #10

Live bait hook design.

You can do it.

• SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 138 Deckhand
    Thanks guys.

The knot that pulled was a Palomar.  I'll ditch the swivel.  I had it on in case I wanted to switch to a planer.
  • Bottom KnockerBottom Knocker PUNTA GORDAPosts: 26 Greenhorn
    Tip:

If using fluorocarbon, always wet  it and tighten slowly. Too fast and the heat created from friction weakens the line...

Took me a while and bunch of lost lures and  and nice fish to figure this out...
  • Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 43 Greenhorn
    I like the Uni Knot
  • Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 43 Greenhorn
    however if it is the super 8 slick I have seen the uni and improved clinch slip
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 388 Deckhand
    I like the Uni Knot
    X2
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,155 Captain
    Garysmo said:
    I like the Uni Knot
    X2
    Good knot, used it for years, tried and true, but has limitations, especially if your using a long topshot. Or heavy braid to heavy mono/fluro. A uni with 100 lb mono and 65 lb braid is huge. It won’t lay on your spool well and will bang every guide going in and out . If you want to learn a better knot, learn the fg. Churning your own butter used to be a thing also 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • XafXaf Posts: 970 Officer
    Tarponator - Just thought I would let you know  the Knot you show is not a uni - it is a San Diego Jam Knot.
  • JEN'S REVENGEJEN'S REVENGE Posts: 587 Officer
    Don't troll with braid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aquaholic73aquaholic73 St. AugustinePosts: 5 Greenhorn

Tie a bimini twist then connect that to swivel using this knot. you will never have a problem. Not sure the name of this knot but its what everyone I fish with ties. When C&H had there shop here in Jax its what they would have used.
    Catch'em up
    Chris

All does he do is complain. Let me show you what to do.

mon·o·fil·a·ment
    ˌmänəˈfiləmənt/
    noun
    1. a single strand of man-made fiber.
      • a type of fishing line using a single strand of man-made fiber.

mul·ti·fil·a·ment
      ˌməltiˈfiləmənt,ˌməltī-/
      adjective
      1. denoting a cord or yarn composed of a number of strands or filaments wound together.