What fish to catch in ctrl FL wma ponds?

Ok, have fished saltwater for years, but never ever fished freshwater. I am not originally from US, so I don't even know the freshwater species... yet.  I have the sportsman gold license for hunting purpose, so I figured I might as well do some fishing at the WMA's near me as well. That will be Toso, Bull Creek, and Three Lakes.

So, if I catch something I will have to mess around with an app and look through tons of Florida fish pics to see what it is I have caught. I am sure there is only a few species which I most likely will catch, and if I know them ahead of time it will make life a lot easier.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks! 

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,592 Moderator
    Look up bass , bluegill ,catfish , sunfish , gar , mudfish , catfish.. What you fish with and how you fish will determine what species will bite.  Artificial will catch all species depending on the type and size of bait.
    good luck 
    "You'll get your weather"
  • DeleriousXDeleriousX Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    Thank you!
  • GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 765 Officer
    Ok, have fished saltwater for years, but never ever fished freshwater. I am not originally from US, so I don't even know the freshwater species... yet.  I have the sportsman gold license for hunting purpose, so I figured I might as well do some fishing at the WMA's near me as well. That will be Toso, Bull Creek, and Three Lakes.

So, if I catch something I will have to mess around with an app and look through tons of Florida fish pics to see what it is I have caught. I am sure there is only a few species which I most likely will catch, and if I know them ahead of time it will make life a lot easier.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks! 

Good fishing in these ponds. Something for you to THINK about though is alligators. They are in these ponds and NOT hunted so they have no fear (relatively) of humans. Some have been fed...

They will/could come up to your small boat looking for a handout or to steal your catch. I've had bulls bluster and show their backs within 10 yards of me wanting me to move off the site. Hatchings will be out and mama gators watching over them.

Not trying to scare you but be prepared. I carry a 38 as a last resort and a "shark" club (small bat). I have NEVER been attacked or felt endangered (maybe because an animal can sense fear responses and the opposite-dominance)

Also..lookup MUDFISH...DO NOT TRY TO LIP LAND IT!! :)
  • DeleriousXDeleriousX Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    I am very aware of them. Had a close encounter when hunting. I was sneaking up on one, thinking it was hog messing around. The gator and I took off in each our direction.

I'll be fishing from land. Toso and Three Lakes both have some nice picnic areas where you can fish from. 
    And yes, I also carry my 357 mag. Just in case....  

Thanks for the info and warning... 
  • Bottom KnockerBottom Knocker PUNTA GORDAPosts: 28 Greenhorn
    Depending on latatude, also Tilapia and Myan Cichlids (which are a blast)
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
    We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.