Fish ID - bass

During some down time from the saltwater scene, I fished a lake in my mother's community down in N Fort Myers, I caught what I immediately assumed was a couple of small large mouth bass. But the ones I catch up here in MA, have a dark band on each side of  their body, while these fish were plain green...and the mouth appeared smaller (didn't reach back past the eye)...so if you don't mind, can someone confirm whether the fish in the pic is indeed just a young large mouth or some other related species from the black bass family? Thanks 

Replies

• tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 276 Deckhand
    Largemouth will be that color in clear water and sand. That looks like what you are fishing.
  • DES51DES51 Posts: 93 Greenhorn
    Up north it is the opposite. The bass will be darker in clear water and light colored in stained water.  Where you from in MA?
  • albacizedalbacized Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    Thanks a lot - I'm in Framingham
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,592 Moderator
    Southern largemouth. I've caught them almost white out of limestone pits.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,217 Admiral
    Southern largemouth. I've caught them almost white out of limestone pits.
    We used to be allowed to fish the sand mines when Rinker Materials was still around.   I miss those days.   Loved working for that company. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • DES51DES51 Posts: 93 Greenhorn
    albacized said:
    Thanks a lot - I'm in Framingham
    I'm from Whitman. Been Down here 2 years.

Nice - I fish not too far away from there in the spring every year for shad (Indianhead in Pembroke)..It's a good hour drive, but I like fishing a small river like that (almost like a 'trout' environment) vs a big river like the Connecticut or the Merrimack.
  • repairrepair Posts: 208 Deckhand
    A lot of are bass are cross bread with other bass but are all large mouth 

I have to admit I am a FISHAHOLIC.
    viet vet usaf 71-75
  • repairrepair Posts: 208 Deckhand
    Want some fun try a sun shine part stripper 
    I have to admit I am a FISHAHOLIC.
    viet vet usaf 71-75
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,013 Officer
    The smallmouth is a colder water species - not found in Florida.
    Definitely knew it wasn't a smallmouth...I catch a fair amount of them, especially in one of the reservoirs where I fish for lake trout and landlocked salmon as well as a Boston area river while targeting stripers that are chasing herring

Now convinced the fish I was questioning are just smallish large mouth with a coloration I'm not used to seeing, but I also know there are other strains of bass that show up in FL (red eye being one of them)...which is why I was questioning them
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 493 Deckhand
    You will not, I repeat, NOT find redeye bass in a pond.  You also will not find redeye bass anywhere in Florida.  We have largemout, Suwannee bass, shoal bass and spotted bass here in Florida, with all but the largemouth having pretty restricted regional/watershed distribution.  Down in the Fort Myers area, you will find no other black bass species other than largemouth bass.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,222 Officer
    If you close the mouth it'll extend behind the eye.  Like Kokosing said you won't catch anything but a LM where you are.  The only bass I've caught in FL are Suwanee and LM but GA is a different story.  There are 11 kinds of black bass and the DNR has a bass slam award for 5 different species.
    Not everyone is in agreement on the 11 species, though there is general agreement in the change from 7 to 9 species.  I'm not fully convinced about the split of redeye into five-ish separate species at this point.  I will concur that there is a fair bit of regional and watershed variation in the appearance of redeyes, and likely genetic distinctions between populations, but I don't consider that enough to designate them as completely different species.  I loved those little redeyes in the upper 'hooch that had the bright red fins.

You can find shoal bass in Florida, but only in a couple of watersheds close to the GA border.  Spotted bass in parts of the panhandle and Suwannee bass in some rivers draining into the big bend.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,222 Officer
    They're going by genetics for the redeyes.  Yes the orange finned redeyes, Chattahoochee, bass are really fun.  I try to fish there every week or so.  I've caught Suwanee Bass in the Santa Fe as well as the Wacissa and the Wakulla in the panhandle.  I haven't caught shoal or spotted bass in FL but have caught plenty of each in GA.  My avatar is a spot.
  • Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 60 Greenhorn
    small largemouth
    They're going by genetics for the redeyes.  Yes the orange finned redeyes, Chattahoochee, bass are really fun.  I try to fish there every week or so.  I've caught Suwanee Bass in the Santa Fe as well as the Wacissa and the Wakulla in the panhandle.  I haven't caught shoal or spotted bass in FL but have caught plenty of each in GA.  My avatar is a spot.
    Yeah, I read the journal paper about the redeye genetic work.  Still not enough for me.

I got my Suwanee out of the Santa Fe as well.  Lived in Athens for about 4 years and fished rivers all over the state, but my favorite was always the upper 'hooch.
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 962 Officer
    albacized said:
    Now convinced the fish I was questioning are just smallish large mouth with a coloration I'm not used to seeing, but I also know there are other strains of bass that show up in FL (red eye being one of them)...which is why I was questioning them

Red Eye records for Florida are generally/widely agreed now to have misidentified shoal bass or Suwannee bass.
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
    edited July 26 #21
    I'm going with freshwater rock bass. If I'm right, it's one of the biggest one's i've ever seen.
    This chart is lame. Fish in it's own form translates as singular and plural, such as the word bass. I'm going to get A haircut. Why don't you get them all cut? ;)

Think about it.

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.