Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Killing an alligator

smellybucksmellybuck Posts: 56 Deckhand
Has anyone killed an alligator without a bang stick. I got a couple tags and really just want to remove a couple 6 footers out of a swamp behind my house. I have hunted gators before but it was in open water and I had a bang stick back then. I will be shooting these  in a shallow swamp  with a cross bow and fishing arrow, seem like they would die if you shot then behind the front leg just like a deer.

Replies

• H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,913 Captain
    I have seen a harpoon through the spine of a 6 footer kill it cleanly. Catch, tape the mouth, and cut behind the head with a knife no need to shoot or bang stick. 

Gators arent going to bleed out like a mammal. 
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 910 Officer
    Once you wear them out you can just put an axe to the back of the head.  Just remember they can still bite you long after you consider they are dead...
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 1,362 Officer
    edited July 2018 #4
    Good quality weld chipping hammer worked well for us on our 1st gator hunt. Bang stik failed on one gator and our backup chipping hammer put it to sleep after 3 strikes to find the sweet spot. Gets down deep behind head to the spine and a source of much blood flow - look out for the heavy flow as it's a mess.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 5,092 Admiral
  • watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 197 Deckhand
    Ive done a few with a knife. Really wear them out and get the mouth held/taped shut then stab the "sweet spot" with a knife at a 45 degree angle going forward. That will cut through the brain stem and then you can really get in to scramble the brain with a screwdriver. 

This is how I have done it, but unless you are confident in being able to handle a large, angry alligator, then I would recommend just getting a bang stick to do it. A lot can go wrong trying to kill a gator with a knife. 
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,705 Captain
    Just get a bang stick and do it right.

I would however love some video if you decide to catch and tape a live 6' or 7'
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
    Pull them up and secure the mouth with tape.  If possible put head so the neck is stretched down.  Will help separate the vertebra.  Using a very sharp knife cut the hide around the half moon on back of head.  Meat will cut easy and knife will easily severe the spinal cord.  Then use a screwdriver or other long thin device to pith the brain.  We do it on 12' plus from time to time.  Think I had a video of one being done on our website under videos,  Had some weird clicking in the video after uploaded but have never taken the time to clean it up and redo it.  We do this same process after bang-sticking one just for good measure.  
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • smellybucksmellybuck Posts: 56 Deckhand
    Well thanks everybody. I appreciate the info.
  • marcel909marcel909 Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Knife & chisel works great, noose his head and hit him in the head with a hammer right on the C then tape his mouth, and then a little slit behind the C and whack with a hammer using a chisel thru the spine, had to do it last year when I sent half my power head thru the prop D

• cfthcfth Posts: 428 Deckhand
    Can be done and is done quite a bit. 

However i I would highly recommend a Bangstick. 

Safer method 
    Capt. Grayson Padrick
    www.centralfloridatrophyhunts.com
    Alligator Hunts, Alligator Hunting Equipment, Alligator and Wild Game Processing
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,312 Admiral
    cfth said:
    Can be done and is done quite a bit. 

However i I would highly recommend a Bangstick. 

Safer method 
    This is the best answer. .357 is plenty powerful. We've used the same 2 for 25+ years. All they are is re-purposed power-heads from a diver friend...very basic. Just mounted them with a stainless steel section to a hardwood handle. Will say though, the commercially made ones are a real upgrade with the integral safety and other features. And too, when you get ready to sell it in the future one made by some professional will resell easier.
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 676 Officer
    Man last year after killing and cutting behind the head. (Dead) 
    a rookie seen the muscles twitch freak out run to his truck to grab hitch/ball. Came back and went ape shlt on the heading thinking it’s still alive.