Home Ask the Law!

Ban on harvesting tiger sharks and hammerhead sharks

J_WaRd_29J_WaRd_29 Posts: 51 Greenhorn
My team and I have zero problem with a protection for tiger sharks and hammerhead sharks. We're 100% catch and release and try to be as responsible as possible. With that being said, hammerheads are VERY sensitive to stress and die very easily. What happens to the fisherman if the hammerhead dies DURING the fight? Or during the land/release in which everything is done properly and very quickly without any photo poses, wasted time, etc.? It seems like while we, the fishermen, do have a lot of control over what we do and how we do it, certain sharks are much more vulnerable to accidental/uncontrollable death. Would a fisherman be charged if a hammerhead shark died on him/her during the fight and/or release? I'm trying to have a solid understanding of what the law says. Thanks . . .
OfficialLogowithDaku1_zpsb67d114c.jpg

Replies

• NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
    You would not be charged in Federal Waters because a shark/fish died while fighting it. However, the shark/fish would need to be returned to the water if it was illegal to keep at the time.
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
    Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
    Special Agent Allan Coker
    NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement
  • J_WaRd_29J_WaRd_29 Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    Dumb question, but does it make a difference that we're land-based?
    OfficialLogowithDaku1_zpsb67d114c.jpg
  • NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
    FWC questions to answer.

Try ask my fwc
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
    Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
    Special Agent Allan Coker
    NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement