Carrabelle offshore Sat. July 14

Met up in Carrabelle with some neighbors from Atlanta who were down to fish for the weekend. Fished on my buddy's 23' Scout. We left The Moorings marina about 6:30am and grabbed frozen bait and snacks at CQuarters before heading out. First stop was at the buoy just outside of East Pass to get some bait. This was no problem. The water teemed with life and the baits were eager to join our mission. We put about 50 in the livewell in just a few minutes and pointed our bow SW. The seas were as forecasted -  about 1-2'. A few scattered storms dotted the horizon but they were well away from us and posed no immediate threat.

We throttled up and ran about 25 miles to deeper water. Our main target was snapper but we were open to suggestions from others as well. First stop was in about 90' at a group of numbers I had out this way. The current was RIPPING and it was almost impossible to get a bait to hold near the bottom. After a frustrating bit of adding weight with no luck we moved out a little further in hopes of better conditions. We ended up a little deeper and found a patch of new bottom that looked interesting so we gave it a shot. First fish in the boat was a 25" red snapper, just what we came for.

We spend the rest of the morning in the same general area and added more nice snapper and even a few red grouper to the box. The current seemed to let up as the morning went on and it was easier to keep baits on the bottom. We had a big shark show up early and do a drive by to check us out. Never got a clear look at him but the size was impressive. Fortunately he did not stick around. 

After finishing the snapper limit we moved over to S Tower and played around there for a bit. It had calmed down even more and was almost flat when we got to the tower. S Tower was full of life including AJs, cudas and big mangroves that stayed close to the tower. We even had a big sea turtle come splash around us for a bit. It was getting warm out and the wind had died off also. We put the boat back in gear and made a run 
back to about 50'. We hit a few spots closer in but didn't do much there. By now it was about 4pm and we were worn out. A few more miles and we were back in the river. A nasty storm was parked just north of Carrabelle as we came in but fortunately it never got closer. It was a bit creepy to come back into that though.

Overall a great time with good friends and good fish. I have never seen the current as tough as it was in the morning and late afternoon, made it almost impossible to hold a bait down. Glad it let up long enough for us to get a few. My buddy has a trolling motor integrated with his GPS that supposedly will hold you on any spot without having to anchor. However, it was stuck on the bracket and we could not get it to deploy. I have doubts about whether a battery powered trolling motor could have overcome the push we were getting from the current. We ended up drifting spots all day since we could not try it out. 

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore"

- Vincent Van Gogh

2215GAG3.jpg

Replies

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,331 Captain
    Good Dill, great report!
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,474 Moderator
    A nice report and a very nice mess of fish. You should of got out those Orange Beach 2 oz leads. ):)
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • AnchorbaitAnchorbait CrawfordvillePosts: 62 Greenhorn
    Great report. We haven't stopped at any spots shallower than 90' last couple trips due to water temps, and one of those days we also had the current ripping, to where we had to switch out all of our bottom poles to heavier weight while on the drift. Be sure to report more often.....
  • LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 1,512 Captain
    Excellent report KG.....

• dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,736 AG
    Very nice...
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
  • loydDloydD GeorgiaPosts: 99 Greenhorn
    Nice
    Lovely Loyd
  • Spanky DunlapSpanky Dunlap Posts: 659 Officer
    I can't believe that your friends trolling motor would not work. 

It looks brand new.    :D  :#  

Just kidding. Saltwater and age are not the friends of complicated pieces of electronics. 
    It is very difficult to win an argument with an educated man and darn near impossible to win one with an idiot.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,658 Captain
    Good trip!!
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,666 Captain
    Good report Kevin.  What's the old saying?  Nothing can ruin a day of saltwater fishing like saltwater.
    Proverbs 13:3
  • JTRJTR Posts: 993 Officer
    Awesome trip!

Awesome catch!!
  • stanwillstanwill Posts: 386 Deckhand
    Good report. Glad y'all got out and caught some fish.
    Just an old ,fat man that likes to fish
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,155 Captain
    Thanks for the report. I love going to the towers, always so much life. I’ve tried to figure out the offshore current as it relates to our tides and have never been able to figure out the timing. It does really rip in the new and full moons. Glad yalll found some
    You should have been here yesterday