Water in the bilge...

CaptainRobCaptainRob Posts: 60 Greenhorn
I have been noticing what I feel is too much water in my bilge during/after a trip.  It really only appears when the livewell is being used, but I cannot for the life of me find where its coming from.  Has anyone else had this problem?  The pump itself is not leaking, as I have visually checked that multiple times. It almost seems like its coming from the water in the well?  Anyone ever have issues with their livewell hose fittings leaking?  Or maybe a leak around their livewell drain?

Any help would be appreciated.

189 Egret

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,318 Officer
    Best way to find out if its a fitting is dry the bilge out. Shut all valves & fill your wells to the top at home on the trailer and look for leaking fittings hose clamps etc from the bilge area. 
    You'll be able to narrow it down at home to see where it's coming from at least the area.
  • CaptainRobCaptainRob Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    Thanks FlatsBoy, I'll give that a try.  I have legit looked everywhere I can to see if water is dripping/leaking while on the water and I cannot for the life of me find anything.  My livewell system doesn't have valves (YET), so I just plug up the wells when not in use, so I will try that and fill them and see if I notice any water draining or leaking out.  

Also, anyone know where I can purchase the "cheese grater" cover for the hull livewell intake?
    189 Egret
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,042 Officer
    Is it an Florida boat or a NC boat?
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 597 Officer

splash well hatch can leak.

Does baitwell overflow into the splash well?

Can happen when clogged.

Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • CaptainRobCaptainRob Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    Is it an Florida boat or a NC boat?
    Its a 2009, so I think its a NC boat....

splash well hatch can leak.

Does baitwell overflow into the splash well?

Can happen when clogged.

Flatwater, the splash well hatch does leak very little, but the baitwell does not overflow enough to cause the amount of water I am seeing. I think it has to be a fitting on the outside of the well....like where the drain hose connects or where the in-flow connects or possibly an issue around the well drain itself.   

189 Egret
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 492 Deckhand
    I've seen the cockpit scupper not attached to the through hull so whenever that side of the boat was low, water would enter the rod locker and then the bilge.  Just leave rod locker open and put a lot of weight on that side to check that.  Extra weight of full live well could make that more noticeable.

Are you sure the water in the bilge is not just when you wash the boat or it's been raining since last use?  The hatch design causes a significant amount of the water that hits the top deck to enter the compartments and then that drains to the bilge. 

• SpookSpook Posts: 138 Deckhand
    I have been noticing what I feel is too much water in my bilge during/after a trip.  It really only appears when the livewell is being used, but I cannot for the life of me find where its coming from.  Has anyone else had this problem?  The pump itself is not leaking, as I have visually checked that multiple times. It almost seems like its coming from the water in the well?  Anyone ever have issues with their livewell hose fittings leaking?  Or maybe a leak around their livewell drain?

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob, I had a similar issue and it was the main drain for the livewell. It was the connection to the drain not the livewell  The caulking had cracked and the hose was loose.  I recaulked and tighened it up and it stopped.

• lowerkeyslowerkeys Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    As others indicated, could be water overflowing from livewell to splashwell area by engine mount. If your splashwell hatch is not sealing properly the water gets into bilge. I think it is more likely to happen while running as boat bounces around more and you may not notice as you typically are not looking backwards while running. Not difficult to correct