Anyone know a good transom repair guy?

I've got a 22' Grady White with a weak transom on it. I'm trying to restore it too, but transoms are out of my league.

Replies

• Eric BEric B Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    where are you?
  • DBRYANDBRYAN Posts: 4,406 Captain
    Safety Harbor area
  • EnyarEnyar Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    What kind of restore are we talking? I personally believe that you either need skills or $$$ to do this right. Either do it yourself and know it was done right or you have to bring it to one of the shops that are known for this kind of stuff. The craigslist and normal fiberglass folks are not to be trusted. I'm getting ready for a Mako transom replacement and I just don't trust anyone else to touch it.

Have you tried calling FGCI to see if they had a recommendation?
    I was tinking for a while of doing it and even considered the synthetic repair approach.
  • BfiBfi Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    DBRYAN said:
    I've got a 22' Grady White with a weak transom on it. I'm trying to restore it too, but transoms are out of my league.
    If you happen to find anything and wouldnt mind posting it I would sure appreciate it .We have a 23 ft Grady and are also in Safety Harbor. We could possibly be looking at a transom repair or replace as well. Thanks!
    I'll keep my eyes open.
  • BottomFedBottomFed Posts: 22 Greenhorn

Best done in the off-season.  You'd be amazed at the extent of deterioration a transom can take and still push the boat without leaking.  It has two seals on it.  It's not until both are broken-thru that a 'sloppy transom' needs to be replaced.  Flexing or cracked gelcoat is no reason to stay off the water.

Synthetic such as Coosa board can be used but properly sealed plywood is just as good.  A good sealant is 50/50 turpentine and exterior urethane with a small bottle of paint fungicide mixed in. 2x 3/4" plywood is typical but it should approximate the thickness of the existing transom material. 

If there's no time rush (there shouldn't be) you can do it yourself and save a few grand.  The new one will be there for a while and doing it yourself means little things which save time and money but affect quality won't be skipped.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,217 Admiral
    edited August 8 #9
    BottomFed said:

Best done in the off-season.  You'd be amazed at the extent of deterioration a transom can take and still push the boat without leaking.  It has two seals on it.  It's not until both are broken-thru that a 'sloppy transom' needs to be replaced.  Flexing or cracked gelcoat is no reason to stay off the water.

Synthetic such as Coosa board can be used but properly sealed plywood is just as good.  A good sealant is 50/50 turpentine and exterior urethane with a small bottle of paint fungicide mixed in. 2x 3/4" plywood is typical but it should approximate the thickness of the existing transom material. 

If there's no time rush (there shouldn't be) you can do it yourself and save a few grand.  The new one will be there for a while and doing it yourself means little things which save time and money but affect quality won't be skipped.

I've watched a couple videos and I think it's something i could do if the opportunity to get a good boat presented itself.  But yea it looks like cleanout and prep work would be somewhat time consuming and you would have to take your time and do everything properly.   

I would think that the price between Coosa board and plywood would be negligible enough to just get the good stuff and do it right.   Knowing your time on the water could be dangerous if done wrong.  

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • SaveMyRiverSaveMyRiver Posts: 426 Deckhand
    PM @FishInFL , hes in the Tampa area and can either repair or refer
    Bfi said:
    DBRYAN said:
    If you happen to find anything and wouldnt mind posting it I would sure appreciate it .We have a 23 ft Grady and are also in Safety Harbor. We could possibly be looking at a transom repair or replace as well. Thanks!
    There is a fiberglas store off of US19 and around 38th that sells a synthetic but it looks like a lot of work, but then again it would probably last forever.