Painting Soffit and Fascia?

haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,362 Captain
We have aluminum soffit and fascia on our house that needs TLC. The wife wants to paint, which reads like it would be a PITA. I think it should be left white and get a good cleaning. Anyone with experience here on what might be best? What has worked for you? What cleaner would be best to just restore it? TIA

Replies

• Gary SGary S Posts: 828 Officer
    It has to be cleaned before you paint. I would use bleach in a pump up sprayer and a pressure cleaner. Make sure you get the bleach off.
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 113 Deckhand
    I just finished painting the house a few months ago.  Last time i went to HD and got the paint.  This time I went to Sherwin Williams.  What a difference!  I bought their Resilience grade which is two below their top of the line paints.  It is way better than what you get from the big box stores.  I would just show them what you want to paint and I am sure they will give you the correct primer if needed.  
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 24,408 AG
    edited July 12 #4
    All you should need to do is clean it good. Bleach, then a pressure washer. I have never painted the metal
    soffit. I have painted the old wooden ones. 

i always thought the finish was permanent with the metal trim. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,171 Officer
    I always thought it was the same thing basically, but pool chlorine works better than household bleach actually. 
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 7,215 Admiral
    edited July 12 #6
    I always thought it was the same thing basically, but pool chlorine works better than household bleach actually. 
    Higher concentration of chlorine.
  • ScarecrowScarecrow Posts: 338 Deckhand
    Make sure the paint doesn't plug the holes up, that is your attic ventilation
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,500 Captain
    Pressure washing doesn't spray a large amount of water into your attic??
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 828 Officer
    Pressure cleaner is pressure , not so much volume. What does go in evaporates fast.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,577 Admiral
    It's a Baked on paint orginally. You re paint it and in a couple years it will be peeling.
    You could use oil based paint..in fact you better but it still might peel...I'd clean it and forget it.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,916 Captain
    It's a Baked on paint orginally. You re paint it and in a couple years it will be peeling.
    You could use oil based paint..in fact you better but it still might peel...I'd clean it and forget it.
    This has been my experience with aluminum as well. If there is a way to prep the surface so paint won't peel......I don't know what it is. 
    I think it's because aluminum expands and contracts more with changes in temperature and makes the paint come off.
    If your wife wants it painted.....tell her to "get busy".
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,362 Captain
    So the garage door would be the same? I haven't read that yet. 
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 24,408 AG
    edited July 16 #13

Mini Mart Magnate

• swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 278 Deckhand
    Do not get bleach on any windows with gaskets. Bleach can ruin the vacuum sealed double glazed windows and they fog up.