Tld 25 should there be a different strike drag setting for bottom vs trolling

I’m a newbie, new boat, new TLD 25 bottom and trolling for grouper thinking about spooling with 65lb braid.  Advice welcome. Rod Shimano Tallus 7’ MH

Replies

• Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 624 Officer
    if your trolling for grouper, bump that up to 80 lb braid... you wont need the quantity of line for grouper trolling like you do for dolphin and other pelagics...the nice part about trolling for grouper is you generally are pulling the fish away from his hole with the forward momentum of the boat, so you dont need a locked down drag... best of luck!
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • bayboatmikebayboatmike Sanibel Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Thank you!  Strike drag set should be 17lbs or less?  Can I use same set up for bottom as well?  Really appreciate your response Capt Dan!
    in my opinion, the tlds just dont have enough drag capacity to handle our bigger bottom dwellers... Can you catch them? Yes... but you are going to loose 95% of your bigger fish as you wont be able to slow them down from getting into the hole... The TLD was designed as a trolling reel that holds large capacity of line, not really designed for lock down bottom fishing... 
    Thanks again Capt Dan!  What drag capacity would you suggest for a bottom near shore grouper reel?  Again I really appreciate your responses.
    something in the mid 30 lb range at a minimum, ideally into the mid to upper 40s... I like the fin nor marquesa MA20II.. its a two speed, high gear and low gear, and puts out a ton of drag....  
    avet makes their raptor series which has higher drag, and its an american made product...  If you want to go more budget friendly, the penn spinfisher V have pretty god drag on their bigger lines... I use 6500 and 9500s for chartering... the 9500 has like 46 lbs of drag at lockdown... havnt lost a fish because it pulled off drag... pair it with a Star Paraflex jigging rod, 6'6 xxH and youve got a killer combo... the ugly stik tiger lite jigging rods are also pretty good paired with the 9500... 
    Thanks for the advice.  After your previous post I looked at several reels.  The one that looks to be an option considering costs function etc is the Penn Fathom 2 speed 30.  Due to just ordering a boat, I will have to build my rods and reel inventory slowly...  I guess what I’m trying to say is my equipment needs to be versatile, troll, bottom live bait.  Also as I can gain experience and learn will be able to decipher what I’m missing.  Thanks for advice, I will look at the Spinfishers as well.  Thanks Capt Dan!
    Capt Dan fyi - just saw a Fin Nor Lethal 20 lever drag 2 speed for 180$. Max drag 35.  Brad capacity 65/540yd.  It’s not the Marquesa... maybe this is a good option, reviews look good.
    Ive used the lethal spinning reels and lets just say i was less than impressed.  broke the reel at the reel seat on its maiden voyage... wont buy them again... dont know much about their conventional side... 
    for versatility, get the 6500 spinfisher v on the 6'6" penn jigging rod.  they are the amazon deal of the day, and can be had for around 139 for the combo... I use them for both bottom fishing as well as trolling spoons and such for macs and bonita... great combos... have landed some insanely large grouper on them as well...
    Thanks Capt Dan