No YF Tuna, but a HUGE Consolation Prize

Its that time of the year again where Mr. and Mrs. Shoeless load the boat and head East to the Bahamas. Since we sold our Pursuit 2470 for a larger boat, we purchased a 2003 Hydrasports 2800 Vector WA.  I have been getting it rigged over the last year and learning the ins and outs of this wonderful boat.

Being this was the first time across the Gulf Stream, we opted to just go to West End and stretch her legs a bit.  The goal of this trip, and the goal for getting this boat, was to chase YF Tuna. 

We started out with some relaxing deep dropping and shallow reef fishing while we settled into the routine of camping out on the boat.  The first day of chasing tuna started out at 6:00 rigging baits and looking at the weather and conditions.  I wanted to fish off the corner, but decided to run to the canyons to avoid the storms. The new Garmin Radar operated perfectly and we had no issues marking birds 3-3.5 miles out.  Unfortunately, the first day resulted in no tuna and a lot of burned fuel.  Although, we did learn the routine of trolling for tuna and got into a rhythm.

Over the next day or so, we relaxed with more deep dropping and reef fishing and made plans to run for tuna one more time on this trip.  Same setup, wake up early, rig baits, turn on the radar and get to work. About mid morning, I’m working a pack of birds, watching my approach and turns on the birds, and the left long line goes off.  I look back and see a BILL FISH running with my bait in its mouth.  Sure enough, I’m tight, and he starts SCREAMING drag off. The wife and I clear lines, harness me up, and settle into an hour-long fight.  Lana ran the boat EXPERTLY, keeping me and the fish positioned where we needed to be.  All the fishing gods shined down on us and we landed this estimated 300 lb. Blue Marlin!!!! After a release and health fish running off in the distance, it was all I could do to stand up, high five the wife, and fall back on the bean bag.  What an AMAZING experience!!!  I couldn’t believe that my 80 lb leader held up to all that thrashing, I’m still blown away. 

We closed our trip with some shallow reef fishing and diving for conch one last day.  We found a sweet spot for the conch and got our limit in short order.  While Lana was diving, 2 Dolphin decided to come up and check her out.  Video of this is a little shaky, I forgot my GoPro pole adaptor, but I still got video of it.

This trip will go do as one for the memory books!!!!!

https://youtu.be/mR8pTZSN4TQ

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• BullMarketBullMarket Posts: 186 Deckhand
    One of the best parts of fishing the deep water out there. Always a chance to get one! Awesome job and good to hear you had a great experience with your new boat. 
    Palm Beach Pure Skin Care and Cosmetics PalmBeachPure.com
  • AlwaysforwardAlwaysforward Posts: 1,512 Captain
    Great catching in the Bahamas Sean. Looks like you guys had a blast over there. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.
    ALWAYSFORWARD, NEVER STRAIGHT...

Truckdecal-signature.jpg
  • flrangerflranger Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Hell yeah, great video
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,450 Captain
    Your videos are a joy to watch Sean. So professional looking. 
    Nice job getting that Marlin. I was lucky enough to see a couple of them caught last year in the Pacific. The mates there have a tool that houses a blade, they just swipe it on the leader and the fish is free.  Assuming you don't have an expensive skirt to retrieve.
    That is truly a catch of a lifetime!  Well done young man.

BTW: Your wife did an outstanding job of maneuvering the boat. Kudos to her!
    (Nice catch on the DD queens, silks and triggerfish too) 

Pura Vida!
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,108 Captain
    Great catching in the Bahamas Sean. Looks like you guys had a blast over there. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.
    Thanks Jeff!!!!  Lana and I are really enjoying the new to us boat and stretching her legs. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Your videos are a joy to watch Sean. So professional looking. 
    Nice job getting that Marlin. I was lucky enough to see a couple of them caught last year in the Pacific. The mates there have a tool that houses a blade, they just swipe it on the leader and the fish is free.  Assuming you don't have an expensive skirt to retrieve.
    That is truly a catch of a lifetime!  Well done young man.

BTW: Your wife did an outstanding job of maneuvering the boat. Kudos to her!
    (Nice catch on the DD queens, silks and triggerfish too) 
    Thank you Sir!!!!  I really enjoy putting the videos together.  Not only do I get to relive the moment, I get to share it with everyone.  

I have seen those leader cutting tools, just didn’t think I would be needing one LOL. This monster hit a naked, chin weighted, select size ballyhoo, with a VMC Souther Tuna 9/0 hook.  I let him keep the hook :).:smile:

Lana says thank you so much as well!!!  I was so proud of her keeping her cool with chang after change in direction and speed. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,127 AG
    NICE!

Now, let's help you fill the freezer with some Muttons, Grouper and Yellowtails!
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 589 Officer
    Great fish!!!!  congrats.   Thanks for posting the video
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,964 Captain
    Awesome report and great job on the Blue. That Tile looks like a BlacklineTile . You don't see them on this side that often.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Reel MusselReel Mussel Posts: 259 Deckhand

I hope we have half the trip you did, great fish...

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS

• lunkermanlunkerman Posts: 147 Deckhand
    Nice trip brother! looks like a great time with the wife! nothing like a surprise blue!

Capt. Joe Ferranti. Lunker-Man Fishing Adventures llc.
    18' Sailfish 188CC, Yamaha F115, Motorguide Xi5 w/pinpoint gps

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • johnalkijohnalki Posts: 506 Officer
    Wow great job on the Big Blue Sean & Lana. Team work at its best
    johnalki said:
    Wow great job on the Big Blue Sean & Lana. Team work at its best
    Thanks John!!!  I was having flashbacks to the White Marlin we landed years ago.  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tangled-N-BlueTangled-N-Blue Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Shoeless,
     We have always finished out of Jax, Fl and north.

We are starting to fish out of the Ft Pierce inlet.

What would be the approximate distance from port to the east side of the Stream?

Thanks!
    Shoeless,
     We have always finished out of Jax, Fl and north.

We are starting to fish out of the Ft Pierce inlet.

What would be the approximate distance from port to the east side of the Stream?

Thanks!
    If you are going from Ft. Pierce to the E side on the stream, likely up in the corner area 60-70 miles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tangled-N-BlueTangled-N-Blue Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Thanks!
  • oldtimeroldtimer Posts: 505 Officer
    Great video, write up as usual.

Pleasure to see you " catching"....  Kudos to Captain Svet Lana.   Not an easy task to maneuver when you have a big one on, and the fear of losing it to slack line, tangle in the engines looms....
  • Kevinwwings2Kevinwwings2 Posts: 1,268 Officer
    Now that is a great Consolation prize.  Did you pick up some Black Fin and Skipjack Tuna while trolling.  In the past that is what I have found trolling produces in the channel.  If you set your fish finder to read the top 400' you will see lots of streaks between 150-250 down.  Those are the fish you want.  Just a matter of getting a bait down to them, not the sharks, and then comes the race of getting them to the boat before the Sharks tear them up.
    Nice work to the whole crew, Tuna fishing certainly requires crew work, and even more so Marlin.

• Reel MusselReel Mussel Posts: 259 Deckhand
    Cool trip, hope to see you on the water one day.

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS

Now that is a great Consolation prize.  Did you pick up some Black Fin and Skipjack Tuna while trolling.  In the past that is what I have found trolling produces in the channel.  If you set your fish finder to read the top 400' you will see lots of streaks between 150-250 down.  Those are the fish you want.  Just a matter of getting a bait down to them, not the sharks, and then comes the race of getting them to the boat before the Sharks tear them up.
    Nice work to the whole crew, Tuna fishing certainly requires crew work, and even more so Marlin.

Thanks Kevin!!!!  Unfortunately, we didn't pick up any other fish in the channel while there.  I really wanted to fish off the corner, but the storms kept us going south.  Wifey did an awesome job and I can't thank her enough for helping me land this beast.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • privateer19privateer19 Posts: 375 Deckhand
    Have to agree given the choice i would take the marlin! Congrats.
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 962 Officer
    Nice to hear of this NWP Channel by catch.  I've often hoped/thought blues must be around that area -- deep water, humps, forage...
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,650 Captain
    Cool video, Congratulations on the Blue Marlin - Awesome fish !
  • rgambotzrgambotz Posts: 224 Deckhand
    Awesome Fish and great video!
  • BacDocBacDoc Posts: 704 Officer
    Gotta say that the driver of the boat has way more pressure than the angler when hooked up to trophy billfish. Your wife was dialed in, keeping fish in perfect spot so you could fight him. Very impressive!

Nice work bro and congrats to your better half, sick video!
  • Frosty1Frosty1 Posts: 114 Deckhand

Congrats on first trip in the new to you boat. Absolutely great video and awesome job done by your wife. Thanks for posting the video.

Love the Bahamas