Mock Scrapes

Rodfather73Rodfather73 Tampa, FlPosts: 24 Greenhorn
Hey guys,

Been thinking about using mock scrapes but have no experience using them. Looking for some help. How many on my property is too many...best products to use etc. Looking forward to hearing your expertise.

Replies

• Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 116 Deckhand
    I have seen that done on tv before but I am not sure I would deploy the tactic for hunting.  I might to see what is on a property for taking trail camera pics by making a mock scrape though.  Years ago we thought hunting scrapes was one of the best ways to hunt.  I have only killed one decent 8 point over a scrape and that was when I was 18.  Once we learned most buck sign at a scrape is made in the middle of the night or most of the time the buck scent checks the scrape from 100 yards downwind is when we quit setting up on them and hunting a scrape.  While I do everything I can on scent control it is not 100% effective.  I do deploy scent when I hunt but that isn't a guarantee either.  I have only had a couple of deer that I was 100% certain they came in to the scent.  Both times can remember it was on the first time I hunted an area so the Tink's 69 was something new to them.  That being said I do use doe pee in the early season, 69 pre and during the rut, have used buck scent and Evercalm so I do use them, just don't think they are the magic bullet.  There has to be someone on this forum that has better knowledge of actually making a mock scrape.  I realize I didn't really answer your question.  Good luck in the woods!
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 867 Officer
    edited July 12 #3
    I take a shed and scrape out a spot and just pee in it. It must be under a licking branch or the deer don’t seem to use them as much. I like them for camera locations and don’t ever hunt right over them. I try to be downwind and catch deer scent checking them. Ive only been doing this for three years. Some seem to work way better than others. Even does come check them out. I only start them up after that the deer do all the work so to speak.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,587 AG
    There is a guy on GON that makes his own scrape juice. A mixture of pee and pureed apples. he has some really good camera pics to prove it works.  
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 2,877 Moderator
    edited July 21 #5
    micci_man said:
    There is a guy on GON that makes his own scrape juice. A mixture of pee and pureed apples. he has some really good camera pics to prove it works.  
    His name is killdee and he also adds ammonia. I've used this formula without the pureed apples. They aren't necessary.

1 gallon of your own urine
    1 cup of ammonia

Send me a PM and I'll tell you what I know. Just like anything they can be useful if used in the correct manner.
  • erik-the-rederik-the-red Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    Guys I ordered  Paul potlucks scents. I got some pre orbital lure. I am going to try to make my own licking branch above the scrape I am making. This is the first time I hunted with scents. Any pointers?
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 1,076 Officer
    edited August 21 #7
    Never did a mock scrape but when I 1st began to try scents as a young hunter with lots to learn I started with Pete Rickards deer scent. Followed the directions exactly and put a drop or 2 down on a deer trail in extremely thick cover about every 20 ft for 75 yds then put many drops behind a bush I planned the deer to put his head down into so he couldn't see me raise the blackpowder shotgun to shoot him. It worked the 1st try and I was sold for years and still am albeit to a lesser degree but never repeated that initial situation.

Shortly b4 hunt season one year down in Glades I ran a buck into a big head S of Alligator Alley, then got off the boat went in the head and saw it was his core territory from the trails he had cut. Came back opening morning and in the slough just N of the head drove across the area E to W and dumped half a bottle of buck lure into the revved up prop while doing so. Parked the airboat along side the N end of the head 100 yds from his main trail. Lunar period was scheduled at 9 or 10 am and shot him around 11 am. After that morningt I didn't look to run and shoot deer from an airboat again. Had better results, was a lot safer and saved a lot of gas. :smiley:

Strictly anecdotal but from my experience with deer scents hunting deer and hogs simultaneously, I would say hogs can learn a specific brand deer scent to avoid if you kill a hog in a group while wearing  brand A scent. The hogs learn, then will spook instantly when they or the lead hog smells it, but changing to brand B scent gets that advantage back 4 the hunter/customer until the next kill that teaches them etc. etc.

Kind of got away from scents over the years relying mostly on steady winds from any direction I am viewing whether walking or remaining in one place. If I plan to stay in a place for an hour or 2 or three I still put a small amount of deer scent (drop or 2) on bushes above and downwind of whatever cover I have planted myself within so as to possibly get a downwind animal curious. Has worked on deer and panther.

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,782 Admiral
    Scents rarely change deer travel patterns much. They got to be pretty close anyways.
    Why not just hunt a Real Live Scrape..?

Killin and Grillin :grin
    I've peed in real scrapes to come back to find them tore up. I'm telling you Killdee's recipe works if you want to make mock scrapes and he has pics and dead deer to prove it. He mainly uses them to get pics of bucks on the property but will hunt over them too. 
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    And 80 % of his pictures are at night...
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 867 Officer
    Most of the pics i get on scrapes are at night as well. 
    And 80 % of his pictures are at night...

At least he knows what's in the area or passing through....
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 1,932 Captain
    In my opinion, there are other things you can do that will be much more productive than any scent you put out and I've seen scents backfire on bigger bucks and make them head for the hills.  Not saying they won't work "sometimes" but in my experience they don't work most of the time.  Biggest risk IMO is putting too much human scent in the woods while setting up or freshening the spot.

I was just trying scent to see if there was any reaction from the deer. You could tell me all day long that it doesn't work but until I see it for myself I will never learn. If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough. I was mainly using it as a scouting tactic to see what deer are in the area. 
    I sat in a big ole Pine tree up in Blackwater one year. I could see for Miles and knew the deer were crossing the Weep just over there.
    Walked it and cut across it spraying Doe in Heat on my boots. First Does that crossed that scent trail ran clean out of sight...away.
    No Scent  , No Alarm , No Foul.
    You can have it all...
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,014 Admiral
    If U know the land your hunting, altering nature is your worse enemy..
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 1,767 Captain
    edited August 24 #17
    I'm not convinced bottled scents work, and believe there are better things you can do to increase your odds... I have actually seen scents outright spook more deer (especially the does) than lure them in, personally. Maybe I've used the wrong scent at the wrong time? I don't know...

True story:  i peed all over a big scrape in Iowa once on my way to a stand and ended up killing a real nice 10 point in it a few hours later. It has  worked in SC, and Illinois as well. I know it seems counter intuitive but it has worked better for me than bottled scents. I chitchunot!

I first heard of it long ago from an old timer in SC who was very successful at killing deer, and who didn't use corn or other baits. I was extremely reluctant to try it but gave it a shot, and it worked on the first try. As with most things involving deer hunting and fishing, it's not foolproof by any means. I also think it may have more to do with my beer consumption the night before, but I can't be sure of that either because I have never kept track. Who knows? Maybe I should start bottling my own "formula" and have you guys test it out! :D

I do think anything and everything can happen during the rut. In my experience the bucks just lose their minds when they are fired up. Our core group have seen some unbelievable things happen during the rut all over the Midwest and Southeast that you would never expect, or read about in the magazines. That, I am sure of!
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,948 Captain
    Before I went up the tree in my climber, I had to pee, so I peed at the base of the tree I climbed. Later here come 2 does, mother and daughter it looked like to me, they came to my tree and stopped and started sniffing all around and looking all around and hung there for about what seemed like 10 minutes, then wandered off. They seemed to like it.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,014 Admiral
    Mak, dont you scout and leave hot steamy one's? Askin for a friend
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 1,767 Captain
    surfman said:
    Before I went up the tree in my climber, I had to pee, so I peed at the base of the tree I climbed. Later here come 2 does, mother and daughter it looked like to me, they came to my tree and stopped and started sniffing all around and looking all around and hung there for about what seemed like 10 minutes, then wandered off. They seemed to like it.
    Just when I thought I had the market cornered!

Binelli, yes, as a matter of fact when someone sees up deliberately within sight of my I try leaving a morning devotional of abundance for them.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,000 Officer

Binelli, yes, as a matter of fact when someone sees up deliberately within sight of my I try leaving a morning devotional of abundance for them.
    I will admit to only doing this once. Hope he did not actually sit down.

As for scrapes, only ever killed one deer on top of one. It was too late to shoot during archery. well almost too late:) 
    I have a favorite scent lure, and it works. But I'm not sharing.
    I only use it occasionally and late season.

If you want a doe during archery I would strongly advise against any scent.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    I pulled a aucilla bow hunt for the pinhook area. Sept 15 through the 22nd. This is the rut for that area. I have not been hunting long and have not shot a buck yet. I do learn every time I go in the woods. I went out and scouted 2 weeks ago. It was hot and the skeeters were horrible. I found a spot with a lot of sign. I jumped  2 does but it is close to the entrance so I am afraid it may get crowded. This is my first public land hunt. Well I went to Andrews for the hog hunt.