Academy Sports - Tally

ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,941 Moderator
Manager fired for subduing gun thief. If this bothers you as much as it bothers others, send an email.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2018/07/11/academy-sports-manager-fired-after-stopping-gun-theft-suspect/772900002/

Academy Sports + Outdoor
1800 N Mason Rd
Katy, Texas 77449

Contact Academy Sports + Outdoor

Phone Number: (281) 646-5081
Fax Number: (281) 646-5071
Email: Email Academy Sports + Outdoor

Academy Sports + Outdoor Executives

CEO: James Kevin Symancyk
CFO: Ken Attaway
COO: Thomas J. Lamb 

(Thanks to micci_man for posting in NW)

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Replies

• Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 564 Officer
    It does bother me but I have never shopped at Academy Sports and Outdoor.  If I was a customer I would send the email.  I am glad the employee stepped in and acted but he may have violated the terms of his employment in doing so.  If he did then Academy is within its rights to terminate the employee although I feel they are doing this to prevent lawsuits during suspected thefts of lesser items such as clothes or shoes and profiling suits.
  • smallboatsmallboat Posts: 1,551 Captain
    Not his money, not his merchandise. This is why big corporations have insurance. Let the **** thief go, report it and turn the video over to the police and move on. Dude isn't a hero. He risked his life and others to save less than $1k in merchandise.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 2,970 Captain
    edited July 11 #4
    smallboat said:
    Not his money, not his merchandise. This is why big corporations have insurance. Let the **** thief go, report it and turn the video over to the police and move on. Dude isn't a hero. He risked his life and others to save less than $1k in merchandise.
    You clearly didnt read the article or missed the part where the guy was about to go kill people with it. That is what is wrong with society. No one has the balls to do anything anymore, except this guy a few others, "just let someone else handle it" is the mantra of many
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 24,456 AG
    Most companies have policies restricting employees from physically subduing shoplifters due to potential lawsuits due to injury to the employee, bystanders, and the shoplifter. 

While it is not a smart move, in my opinion, to fire the guy over this incident, he did violate their policy regarding shoplifters. Now they have a lot of bad press and need to do a PR move to get out of it. It will be difficult, since if they hire the guy back, how do they defend firing the next guy who tackles a shoplifter over a $10 tshirt?

They should not have fired him in my opinion. Somebody higher up should have realized this one was going to bite them. This is not the first time a story like this has made the news. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 19,088 AG
    The guy stopped a gun and ammo from entering the illegal gun stream and potentially someone being murdered. The store is going to look bad for firing him.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 2,932 Captain
    smallboat said:
    He potentially stopped a murder . What a PR nightmare if the guy stole the gun and he doesn' pursue because of store policy. Academy would've be blasted by the antis
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,471 Admiral
    It'll blow over unless it gets featured on FAUX news. Then there will be a tweet storm raging from D.C.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 10,226 AG
    He should've shot the ****.  
    Warning Level 2
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,641 Admiral
    rules R rules
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,422 AG
    Ole boy has his job back as of today.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,289 Captain
    Good for him. It was a stupid decision from Academy. They should have had sense enough to know the poop storm firing was going to cause.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,004 Captain
    Look at it this way. You own business, any kind of business. Take my small A/C business for example. Guy walks in, steals my office managers purse and bolts for the door. A tech tackles the guy and gets her purse back, and I should fire him? 

Give me a freaking break. These big PC corparate wimps are a joke. 

By the way, that really happened to us. 
    AC Man said:
    Look at it this way. You own business, any kind of business. Take my small A/C business for example. Guy walks in, steals my office managers purse and bolts for the door. A tech tackles the guy and gets her purse back, and I should fire him? 

Do you allow your techs to carry guns while working?

Mini Mart Magnate

• pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,289 Captain
    cadman said:
    AC Man said:

What's carrying have to do with any of this thread? No one had a gun but the thug. And it went loaded. 
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 5,794 Admiral
    A better question for AC man is does he allow his Techs to disregard company policy?   
    pottydoc said:
    cadman said:
    AC Man said:

What's carrying have to do with any of this thread? No one had a gun but the thug. And it went loaded. 
    Trying to establish his policies and why he has them.

The same reason Academy fired the manager. They had a policy in place due to insurance and risk procedures. That company policy was violated. The company had every right to fire the guy. It was a dumb decision to do it right after the incident where the media got the story and gave them bad press. They should have waited until the incident faded from the headlines and got rid of the manager then.

the "PC corporate wimps" were not a joke. They had the policy in place due to the risk of getting sued costing more than a $1000 in lost merchandise. Their insurance was probably a factor in creating the policy. You dont want an employee making a bad decision to tackle a shoplifter and have an employee or customer get injured and it costing you ten to 100 times as much as the stolen merchandise.

Mini Mart Magnate

edited July 15 #18
    cadman said:
    pottydoc said:
    cadman said:
    AC Man said:

Trying to establish his policies and why he has them.

The same reason Academy fired the manager. They had a policy in place due to insurance and risk procedures. That company policy was violated. The company had every right to fire the guy. It was a dumb decision to do it right after the incident where the media got the story and gave them bad press. They should have waited until the incident faded from the headlines and got rid of the manager then.

the "PC corporate wimps" were not a joke. They had the policy in place due to the risk of getting sued costing more than a $1000 in lost merchandise. Their insurance was probably a factor in creating the policy. You dont want an employee making a bad decision to tackle a shoplifter and have an employee or customer get injured and it costing you ten to 100 times as much as the stolen merchandise.

I agree with what you say, as usual. My problem is that it has come to this in the corporate world. Every large business has a huge list of rules to prevent law suits. When I was a young teen around 1970 and my buddy was caught stealing a fishing lure at a department store, he was grabbed in head lock walking out the door by an employee. I sat there watching not realizing what was going on. we were 13 and the employee was a grown man. It was never considered a problem or liability by the store. 

I understand the guy at Academy  went against store policy (doubt he was aware of it) and I have policy that must not be broken too. Show up on time, no drinking on the job, don't use your company truck to pull your boat on the weekend, you know, normal stuff.

And FWIW I do allow my guys to carry, Although it is not in writing. I think my son is the only one with a permit currently. Not sure. That,s their business,
    Does your insurance know that your employees  are allowed to carry weapons and have you verified your insurance will cover you if an employee accidentally shoots someone. You might be surprised at their answer. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 9,188 Admiral
    Drama Queen Alert!!!!!
    Let the adults talk. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• 2amigo2amigo Posts: 3,942 Captain
    edited July 16 #22
    There are policies in effect, yes, but he probably saved a life or two( or more) doing this. Face it, that fool wasn’t stealing that gun for self defense.  It’s not like he subdued a guy stealing a fishing rod or tee shirt.  It was a GUN.  Policy be damd in this instance. He does not or didn’t deserved to be fired.  Grow some balls people.  This politically correct crap about , “ yeah but it was policy “ is what is f’ed up about his country. An insurance policy for the store is not saving a life
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,598 Admiral
    Just imagine how that store would fare if Tyrone shot 2 Customers in the parking lot and Car jacked them...with a Firearm the store guy saw and let him steal...
    Company Policy you know...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    cadman said:
    Let the adults talk. 
    You never do.
    edited July 16 #25
    2amigo said:
    There are policies in effect, yes, but he probably saved a life or two( or more) doing this. Face it, that fool wasn’t stealing that gun for self defense.  It’s not like he subdued a guy stealing a fishing rod or tee shirt.  It was a GUN.  Policy be damd in this instance. He does not or didn’t deserved to be fired.  Grow some balls people.  This politically correct crap about , “ yeah but it was policy “ is what is f’ed up about his country. An insurance policy for the store is not saving a life
    If I was that manager, he would of left the store more pucked up than he walked in and in handcuffs or worse.

Don't care about likes, followers, tweets or whatever. 

Resinhead said:
    cadman said:
    Let the adults talk. 
    You never do.
    Great elementary school come back. Thanks  for proving my point.

Mini Mart Magnate

cadman said:
    Does your insurance know that your employees  are allowed to carry weapons and have you verified your insurance will cover you if an employee accidentally shoots someone. You might be surprised at their answer. 
    No, i haven't checked with my insurance company. If they have a CWP it is ok with me. I have enough problems to worry about other than that. Like the lady that wants me to replace her wood floors two months after they were installed because her A/C had a water leak and somehow it is our fault. Lol. 
    edited July 16 #28
    AC Man said:
    cadman said:
    No, i haven't checked with my insurance company. If they have a CWP it is ok with me. I have enough problems to worry about other than that. Like the lady that wants me to replace her wood floors two months after they were installed because her A/C had a water leak and somehow it is our fault. Lol. 
    I only ask because I did have a conversation with my insurance company about the same issue. There were quite adamant they would not cover me in a shooting since it violated the policy. I do have personal insurance that will cover me in most cases. But it is the reason i won't allow employees to carry. I will be personally liable if something were to happen and I don't want to lose everything because an employee made a mistake and shot the wrong person. I know what I am doing. I can't be certain of every employee. 

There can b a lot of personal liability involved if you let employees carry. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 19,088 AG
    cadman said:
    AC Man said:
    cadman said:
    I only ask because I did have a conversation with my insurance company about the same issue. There were quite adamant they would not cover me in a shooting since it violated the policy. I do have personal insurance that will cover me in most cases. But it is the reason i won't allow employees to carry. I will be personally liable if something were to happen and I don't want to lose everything because an employee made a mistake and shot the wrong person. I know what I am doing. I can't be certain of every employee. 

There can b a lot of personal liability involved if you let employees carry. 
    You can have your policy but as your employee, I would still carry and you will never know it.
  • smallboatsmallboat Posts: 1,551 Captain
    Reel Teal said:
    smallboat said:
    You clearly didnt read the article or missed the part where the guy was about to go kill people with it. That is what is wrong with society. No one has the balls to do anything anymore, except this guy a few others, "just let someone else handle it" is the mantra of many
    You didn't read the article. He didn't admit to "wanting to shoot people" until after he was detained. The employee had zero knowledge of that. I'm not saying he didn't do a good thing that potentially saved people's lives. I'm saying he did violate company policy that he agreed to and only had the knowledge that the guy was stealing a gun. 
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,422 AG
    2amigo said:

Well said...
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes