Academy Sports

micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,186 AG

Unreal... I hope the manage sews them and wins big if they don't hire him back. I'm with bottomtime, may have spent my last dollar with them if this goes through. I hope their Texas HQ gets blasted by folks in support of the fired manager.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2018/07/11/academy-sports-manager-fired-after-stopping-gun-theft-suspect/772900002/

Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes

Replies

• micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,186 AG
    Academy Sports + Outdoor
    1800 N Mason Rd
    Katy, Texas 77449

Contact Academy Sports + Outdoor

Phone Number: (281) 646-5081
    Fax Number: (281) 646-5071
    Email: Email Academy Sports + Outdoor

Academy Sports + Outdoor Executives

CEO: James Kevin Symancyk
    CFO: Ken Attaway
    COO: Thomas J. Lamb

Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 1,494 Officer
    unreal....snowflakes
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,261 Moderator
    This is wrong in so many ways. An email has been sent.
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • JTRJTR Posts: 963 Officer
    That is wrong on so many levels...…..and they know it.
  • tailwaterstailwaters Posts: 122 Deckhand
    This all has to do with insurance and liability exposure and not whether what he did was justified or not. 

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,102 Captain
    edited July 11 #7
    What’s the world come to when you get fired for stopping a thief? Not only was he stealing property, but property to hurt or kill other people. He almost certainly saved lives....I agree w tw, but it’s seriously sad that this is what it’s come to. I’ve seen that guy working all the time, helped me from time to time. Nice guy, I sent a link of the article to Lin at Kevin’s 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,237 Admiral
    Snowflake academy
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,289 Captain
    I can't match Tallahassee's payroll, but I would hire him in a second. E-mail sent.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
    What’s the world come to when you get fired for stopping a thief? Not only was he stealing property, but property to hurt or kill other people. He almost certainly saved lives....I agree w tw, but it’s seriously sad that this is what it’s come to. I’ve seen that guy working all the time, helped me from time to time. Nice guy, I sent a link of the article to Lin at Kevin’s 

He admitted it to the cops and also said "when I get out I'll do it again." Steel and attempt to kill that is...

I really feel bad for the generation(s) of my kids and younger. This country is going by the way side in a hurry.

• Spanky DunlapSpanky Dunlap Posts: 651 Officer
    edited July 11 #11
    Surely there is a store in Tally that needs this kind of manager. I applaud him. Confronting a deranged grown man with an armload of guns and ammo is an act of bravery IMHO. 

I hope he gets an even better job out of this mess. 

Email sent.  
    It is very difficult to win an argument with an educated man and darn near impossible to win one with an idiot.
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,299 Officer
    It seems a very strange situation.
    Surely the chap is a hero, you would think his employers would be praising him.
    The incident needs as much publicity as possible, less people coming in their doors might make them reconsider their policies.
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,931 Captain
    He should definitely get public recognition! 
    Not for being fired tho'
    God, save the South!
  • LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 1,494 Officer
    listening to local radio this morning, there is a strong push to get this guy a new job and boycott Academy.....

You ought to read the comments on wctv site... I understand he apparently broke the store policy but I think it was a good reason to break it and possibly saved a life or lives. meanwhile,  his house is on the market for sale now and the thug is out on bond running around.
  • JKPJKP Posts: 2,877 Captain
    The list of sporting goods stores I avoid appears to be growing. 
  • fsuwxmanfsuwxman Posts: 1,233 Officer
    Didn’t visit Academy much before...sure as heck won’t be darkening their door(s) in the future. 
    2015 FS Northwest Forum NASCAR Champion
  • DostahawkDostahawk Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Boycott Academy.

I am.
  • JTRJTR Posts: 963 Officer
    Read that he put his house on the market.

He should start a Go Fund Me, I'll chip in.
  • JKPJKP Posts: 2,877 Captain
    Now hired back. 
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,261 Moderator
    LOL......Good for him
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
    I heard this morning. I bet he is making a little more, at least once. I wish him well.
  • StumpwaterStumpwater Posts: 157 Deckhand
    edited July 14 #24
    Best news in a while - Karma, God, good life to good people? Who Knows? I hope it works out well for this young man. We could use a whole lot more like him. If he really wanted that job back, I'm glad he got it. Blessings to he and his family.