Ponce Inshore Bite

It’s been about a month since I’ve fished inshore is anything biting?  Any intel would be appreciated!

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,134 AG
    I do not fish up that way...BUT... the fish are still here. Just as many as when you last went. 
    The only difference is that the pattern has likely changed. They may be in different locations...closer to deep drop offs...and most definitely have changed their feeding patterns. Apex predators will ambush prey under low light and cooler conditions normally.

Get out earlier...like in the dark. Watch the birds of prey for bait locations.  Fish thermal refuges...it is just the opposite of cold winter days.  
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • SaltstrikerSaltstriker Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    I always go early but the no see’ems are relentless this time of the year!  I’ve got a few places in mind.  I was wondering if reds are in the Inlet during the summer as much as other times of the year.  Think I’ll try drifting the inlet on an incoming tide moving cleaner and cooler water into the system.  
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,134 AG
    Yes...If you go towards A-1-A to fish the no see's are horrific...... if you go near the mangroves...the mosquitoes are horrific...

I can only speak for Sebastian...yes, there are Reds...not as plentiful as during the mullet runs...but still there.  
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Reefkid88Reefkid88 Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    edited July 21 #5
     I used to go before sunrise to the Indian River/Skeeter Lagoon area seeming I'm local to there,but the No See'ems like you said will ruin a trip for sure. 

I don't have a boat so I am on foot,so the bite hasn't been too good mainly Whiting,Mangroves with a few keeper Flounder on live shrimp 1/0 circles,but I'm 99% C&R. Lots of Rays and Puffers too. I'm still looking for my bull Red for this year too. 

• PompanoPetePompanoPete Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    If it were me at Ponce this time of year, I'd go right up to the jetty rocks (far enough down from jetty fishermen) and using small hooks, live shrimp (pieces) and flourocarbon leader, catch dinner of sheepshead and mangrove snapper. 
    Occassionally throw on a whole large shrimp to see if one of those redfish is around also...

:thumbsup:
    :longlivePonceInletfishing: