Pergolas. Can Someone Explain Why All The Interest?

AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,004 Captain
edited July 10 in Off Topic #1
A friend of mine with a succesful garage auto repair started sawing lumber on the side for his sons Pergola business. He has now left the auto repair business to build these what I consider useless objects. There is no roof, no shade. And people set up outdoor kitchens and furniture under them. Again, no roof. I don't get it. He is making a killing on these things.

I am building my outdoor kitchen under a roof. A gazebo so to speak. 25 ft behind the pool. Full roof to protect from the elements. What say you?

Replies

• hatcityhatcity Posts: 2,948 Captain
    because it doesn't need a lot of space

and it just sounds cool(European)...for some

I like your idea better
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,004 Captain
    My dad had a awesome built gazebo with full roof with the center piece a large brick interior and hand laid stone exterior with a nice hood with double doors and a exhaust. Spent 40 years eating pork and turkeys on that thing.

The New Yorkers that bought the property, honest to God the first thing they did before upgrading the house was knock down the beautifull stone smoker and parking their $199 gas grill in its place. My dad would roll over in his grave if he knew this.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,598 Admiral
    I don't know what a Pergota is but I don't build anything for outside family times without a roof and full screening..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    I don't know what a Pergota is but I don't build anything for outside family times without a roof and full screening..
    Pergolas are all the rage. Not for me though. Google it.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 6,715 Admiral
    edited July 11 #6
    Pergolas are cool, but you need a Lanai with a roof first.  

Who doesn't like sitting with wood?

Captain Todd Approves

• restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 1,999 Captain
    mplspug said:

You asking for Todd?
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,891 Captain
    I'll stick with my tiki hut
    I'll stick with my tiki hut
    👍
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 5,794 Admiral
    mplspug said:

You asking for Todd?
    If that were the case it would say "Who doesn't like sitting on wood"    

• dave44dave44 Posts: 7,222 Admiral
    That’s terribly insensitive Dragon! People are sent to sensitivity and diversity classes for less.
      I thought you stood in solidarity with the rainbow?
    mplspug said:

You asking for Todd?
    If that were the case it would say "Who doesn't like sitting on wood"    

Sitting on top of a pergola is dangerous.

Captain Todd Approves

• treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 2,932 Captain
    Pergolas are great if they're built properly and make a great outdoor  also space.Theyre also very inexpensive and require a few tools. If you want more shade or cover you can let wisteria run wild on it
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 3,942 Captain
    They make removable panels that go on top for shade
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 7,222 Admiral
    Mmm. Grapes. That’s the reason. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,838 Admiral
    Looks like something that provides no shade, and that doesn't keep out the mosquitos at night either. But it's popular so everyone is mad for them.    
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,471 Admiral
    Pergolas are great and  very inexpensive.
    Yep …

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 2,932 Captain
    Looks like something that provides no shade, and that doesn't keep out the mosquitos at night either. But it's popular so everyone is mad for them.    
    It depends on how you build them. I've built a ton and proper placement is the key. You always want your rafters to be perpendicular to the Sun. You can also place a piece of nursery shade cloth over it or corrugated plastic to shed water. 

Grapes are another possibility. 
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,838 Admiral
    I would think Alamandas would also be a good option as the vines would grow up the posts and you would have flowers everywhere, and accompanying bees too though. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,471 Admiral
    Blue tarps give a cool ambience when backlit by sunlight. 
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • MadbeachMadbeach On the riverPosts: 934 Officer
    Pergola = Almost a palapa
    Why hide the wood with flowers and vines? 

I don't like the classic style with the ends of the joists that curve upward.  It looks like a design flaw or an Asian built it. 

Captain Todd Approves

• Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 19,088 AG
    It is a structure to hang white christmas lights on.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,770 Admiral
    Next to the tire swing and the engine hanging from the limb.
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,522 Captain
    I think the original intent was so that vines could grow on it, specifically grape vines.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • Mud RangerMud Ranger Posts: 347 Deckhand
    Pergolas are great if they're built properly and make a great outdoor  also space.Theyre also very inexpensive and require a few tools. If you want more shade or cover you can let wisteria run wild on it
    I agree grapes, confederate jasmine, climbing roses...the choices are many.  It all depends on what you want it to look like.  I've seen one recently where the owner had orchids and hanging plant that looked cool.
    I agree grapes, confederate jasmine, climbing roses...the choices are many.  It all depends on what you want it to look like.  I've seen one recently where the owner had orchids and hanging plant that looked cool.
    Now that makes sense.  All the ones I have seen are bare lumber. Over a seating arangemet. 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,598 Admiral
    Just put a Picnic table under a dang shady tree..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 2,668 Captain
    Not everyone has a shade tree in their yard.