Hoss jewfish/goliath!

Headed out Saturday with my son and stepdad. Took off towards the Blackthorn, but cut it short and fished at the old Bayway Bridge Rubble Reef about 16 miles out. Didn't catch a whole lot, but I did catch my first jewfish. The pictures do no justice at all. Fish was about 5 feet long. I'm guessing 200-250 lbs or so. It did swim away strong after photos. At least as impressive was that I dragged this girl up on a Shimano Trevala 6'6 jigging rod with Accurate Fury 400 2 Speed with 60lb braid and 50lb flouro leader. Took about 30 minutes to get boat side. Fun times! 

Replies

• trs912trs912 Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    Awesome!

I've hooked them many times but haven't been able to budge them.  Great job!
  • m10renm10ren Posts: 109 Deckhand
    Great job, that Shimano Trevela will lift a truck off the bottom.    :)
  • GulfCoast1102GulfCoast1102 Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    Thanks! By the way, where'd you find those hogfish in your profile pic? Those are nice! Been trying to find some. So far, we've only turned up one shorty.
  • m10renm10ren Posts: 109 Deckhand
    Thanks! By the way, where'd you find those hogfish in your profile pic? Those are nice! Been trying to find some. So far, we've only turned up one shorty.
    I usually catch them on any swiss cheese bottom anywhere from the 35' - 50' range.