Advice on fishing the Withlacoochee near its end point in the Gulf

My wife owns a 1720 Key West cc with GPS trolling motor.  Drafts about 8".  She really wants to do a lot more inshore fishing vs. going offshore.  Any advice or spots to try out to fish for snook, redfish, and maybe trout/flounder along the Withlacoochee?  Launching from Bird Creek Boat Ramp.  This way if we want to we can tool around a little in the Gulf but also head back up the river, even just to sight-see.  Advice on spots, bait, tactics would be appreciated - thanks!

Replies

• mleach82mleach82 Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    I've fished that way quite a bit in my 16' Palm Beach flats boat and have had lots of luck with Reds and Snook but not much in way of flounder. Haven't been that way in a while since we started fishing spots closer to home in Hernando Beach. 

We used to put in at the ramp at the end of the road (40 i think?) right where the withlacoochee dumps into the gulf. We would normally fish the bank just to the south side of the river all the way to the barge canal and fish the spoil islands on the south side of the canal and always managed a few reds. Fished a lot of jigs and topwater baits and caught them on everything. Just be careful, very rocky. We explored a few other areas to the south of the barge canal and never got skunked.
  • backwatercolebackwatercole Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    Give the Big Bend section on here a try as there is a lot of information on that area in that section.  
  • grey2112grey2112 Posts: 130 Deckhand
    mleach82 said:
    I've fished that way quite a bit in my 16' Palm Beach flats boat and have had lots of luck with Reds and Snook but not much in way of flounder. Haven't been that way in a while since we started fishing spots closer to home in Hernando Beach. 

We used to put in at the ramp at the end of the road (40 i think?) right where the withlacoochee dumps into the gulf. We would normally fish the bank just to the south side of the river all the way to the barge canal and fish the spoil islands on the south side of the canal and always managed a few reds. Fished a lot of jigs and topwater baits and caught them on everything. Just be careful, very rocky. We explored a few other areas to the south of the barge canal and never got skunked.

Thank you -  on a slightly different note, would you mind giving some advice for the Hernando Beach area?  I'd honestly rather fish those areas as it is closer, but have never had much luck - maybe I'm just not fishing the right areas?
  • mleach82mleach82 Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    Sent you a PM