Live Bait Question

Coming down this Saturday until around the middle of august, and I've got a question about baits. I've got a trash can that I punched some holes into that I'm bringing down, but I'd like to have a variety of baits in it. What bait can live together and what bait can't? Can pinfish live with gogs or pilchards? Can pilchards and gogs live together? Those are the main three baits that I would like to have a solid supply of. Also, if I have to have pinfish or nothing, would it be better to have the other baits or the pinfish?
Thanks

Replies

• Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,361 Officer
    Dont mix pinfish with pilchards .
     .Pilchards and gogs no problem.
  • SaltologySaltology Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    Pinfish and gogs?
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 368 Deckhand
    Pin fish will kill any other baits
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 368 Deckhand
    I keep my pin fish I  there traps or other pen
    Thanks!
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 587 Officer
    Fresh caught pins for a couple days I have not had issues with them bullying/killing other baits. What I have had kill them is a canal with little to no water flow, especially if the holes are not that big.

You open up the lid and its full of big stinking floaters!
    we need more internet money
  • Mboettcher11Mboettcher11 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    I cannot thank the experts enough for posting here! I wake up and read these forums every morning and live vicariously through you all.

In re: to bait, are green lights illegal in the FL keys for sabiki bait fish at night? And is it worth while off the dock (Atlantic facing)? 
    As far as I know they are not illegal, but I would call fwc and check. Lights are a big attractant to bait on the reef and the docks, in canals with only one or two lights, its amazing how much comes to it
  • FLORIDA_BOY2FLORIDA_BOY2 Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    I have my green hydro glow light packed for our trip.  Plan to use in the canal @ our house.  I hope it’s not illegal.  What are the most common bait to come to lights in the canal?  Sabiki or cast net them?