Where to Stay Next Week

ScottC543ScottC543 Posts: 1,301 Officer
Hello, everyone. My gf and I want to stay several nights on the beach early next week, driving down from Orlando. I'm looking for recommendations for where to stay. I'd like someplace nice, right on the beach, preferably at the best spot for me to catch a fish or two while we're there. ;-) I'm flexible as to where, and the type of accommodations, but am looking for a great beach with the sunset, shells and such for her and fishing for me. 

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• rjmckenna2005rjmckenna2005 Cape Coral, FLPosts: 10 Greenhorn
    Check out Mitchell's Sand Castles on Sanibel
  • dcrdcr Posts: 290 Deckhand
    Check out Mitchell's Sand Castles on Sanibel
    Good choice.  Any place along W. Gulf, the farther out the better.  I've been staying out there for 20 years.  Very quiet, nobody on the beach, usually good surf fishing, EXCELLENT shelling, good view of the sunset.  The price you pay is that it's not very close to the rest of civilization -- restaurants, etc, but that's why I stay there.
  • ScottC543ScottC543 Posts: 1,301 Officer
    Thanks, guys! I'll check them out. Appreciate the info.
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 559 Officer
    check the red tide report before you go and see where it is....been bad from Boca Grande to Sarasota.
    Yeah, thanks. Those reports have me re-thinking our plans. We might head down to the Keys instead and save the Gulf coast trip for a better time.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,835 Captain
    ScottC543 said:
    Yeah, thanks. Those reports have me re-thinking our plans. We might head down to the Keys instead and save the Gulf coast trip for a better time.
    I live near Englewood, the red tide problem seems to be abating.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,835 Captain
    Weston Resort in Englewood may be perfect for you.  The west side faces the Gulf, the east side is near Lemon Bay.
  • mtbrider85mtbrider85 Posts: 335 Deckhand
    I was on Sanibel last night(bowmans beach) and it was fine, no sign of red tide. Water was clean. Saw a good amount of Dink snook swimming in the surf but no big ones. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,890 Captain
    Problem is the conditions are right for the red tide to pick right back up...I take no pride in saying this, but if I was to spend my limited time off and limited vacation $$ I would try some place else.
    Thanks, WW. I'm thinking that it's just not worth taking the chance. We've only got a few days. After looking into a couple of places in the Keys, I think we're going to just head to Melbourne Beach, our usual get out of town nearby spot. We know what we'll get there, and it'll have to do. Sanibel will have to wait for now.

Thanks for all the advice, guys!
  • ShallowdaysShallowdays Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    This is how lake O discharge and the red tide affect our economy. This gentleman is going to spend his hard earned money somewhere else.
  • backyardhockeybackyardhockey Posts: 106 Deckhand
    This is how lake O discharge and the red tide affect our economy. This gentleman is going to spend his hard earned money somewhere else.
    Think of the property value hit on those houses on canals with the green slime. All so we can pay 2x the world rate for sugar