Yellowtail snapper chumming question

Lately with some of my quality catches (dolphin Grouper etc..) I have been bleeding out some before they go into cooler.

When anchored and doing typical yellowtail chumming, will the bite shut down if the yellowtail smell their own type of blood if I bleed out a few while chumming?

Replies

• Rich MRich M Posts: 961 Officer
    This question keeps popping up.

Bleeding the fish will encourage sharks and such.
  • LurchyLurchy Posts: 365 Deckhand
    It will not spook or shut down the yellowtail bite..  If you are already chumming, I doubt that it will have much of an effect on firing up the sharks even more, but may..
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,814 Captain
    Wont make a difference.  Were usually using bonita for bait any freshly caught foll of blood.  I wouldnt bother though YT don't need it IMO
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 956 Officer
    They are carnivores!....I will leave it at that!
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 193 Deckhand
    Here's an interesting anecdote about gutting yellowtail.  Many years ago my dad went out with a couple of friends commercial fishing for yellowtail west of Sand Key light off Key West.  They fished all night and filled the box.  In the morning they anchored behind Sandy Key in really shallow water to clean their catch before taking it to the fish market, since most wholesale fish houses won't buy your catch unless it's gutted.  As they gutted 100's of yellowtail and tossed the guts behind the boat, my dad noticed some large fish feeding on them.  He grabbed a large shark hook and a lobster rope and put a whole yellowtail on it and flung it back there.  It got gobbled up immediately and he pulled the fish in, except it wasn't a shark.  It was a black grouper around 40 lbs.  He did the same thing a few more times and ended up getting 4 big blacks and a big mutton.  All in about 8' of water behind Sand Key light.  This was what fishing off Key West was like, in 1970.  As incredible as this may sound to some, it's all true.

• Reel TeaseReel Tease Posts: 636 Officer
    the only reason why I can see the relation to spooking them would be that it would bring in larger predators to your chum slick such as sharks and cudas. it will cause the yellowtail to be further back in the chum slick. yet Im not sure how much of an impact it really has when theres already chum in the water. 
    what I do know is, take chum, and lots of it
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 2,704 Captain
    Oily chum brings desired fish

Blood brings sharks and sharks eat the fish you want to catch.