DNA Results are in

The VilleThe Ville Posts: 457 Deckhand
Very interesting process. Funny how how generations have been told something about themselves and they are not. I was told I had Cherokee and obviously I do not.. I have talked to allot of people who are from Irish descent and allot have been told they have Cherokee? I wonder if back in the early days if the Irish weren't somehow trying to help them?
86.4% Irish
3% Scottish
10% NW Europe (Normans today's modern day Vikings)
<1% American Indian
It's not my job to provide your education look it up yourself!

Replies

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,425 Admiral
    Who the hell cares? 
    I’m an American. 
     Why anyone would submit their DNA to anything much less a internet website is beyond me. 
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • wahoowacker01wahoowacker01 Posts: 1,305 Officer
    My DNA suggests I am 50% English, 25% Bud light, and 13% Crown Royal, and 12% Sweet tea.  I’m good with that. 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,478 Admiral
    edited July 8 #4
    75% rectum here
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,279 Officer
    Wonder if you sent in your DNA 3 months apart under 3 different aliases and 3 different PO Box addresses.........if these places would send you back 3 reports that all agreed with each other??

If it ain't your hospital or local "your Honor" ordering the test....I would treat the results like I treat horoscopes & palm readings. ;)

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,017 AG
    ANUMBER1 said:
    75% rectum here
    LOL...really, only 50%. 

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • tjensentjensen Posts: 68 Greenhorn
    I'm supposed to be Jewish-Scotch-Irish. But I get suspiciously tanned!
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,440 AG
    ANUMBER1 said:
    75% rectum here
    Thinking that's a bit low
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,288 Admiral
    I'm 110% polish.

Captain Todd Approves

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,749 Captain
    I dont have anything to hide, so I did it. 75% UK 20% Irish, 5%  mix of small areas I dont remember. Pretty much everything I already knew. We were the first to arrive in the country and migrated south to TN and GA. Farmers for the most part. My family is the only ones that moved to Florida. 1963. All my relatives have remained in TN and GA since time began. LOL
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,828 AG
    edited July 9 #11
    AC Man said:
    I dont have anything to hide, so I did it. 75% UK 20% Irish, 5%  mix of small areas I dont remember. Pretty much everything I already knew. We were the first to arrive in the country and migrated south to TN and GA. Farmers for the most part. My family is the only ones that moved to Florida. 1963. All my relatives have remained in TN and GA since time began. LOL
    Is that all it tells you? I have been thinking about having one done by 23 and me (only because it is the only one I know about). They seem to claim they give more info than just that. 

Was it worth the money? Did you just do the $99 test or the more expensive one? I was going to do the health and ancestry. 

Just curious. 

Anyone else who has done one can answer too. 

Mini Mart Magnate

edited July 9 #12
    We did the Ancestry one which is the most popular. They give you more info than what I stated. But that is all I was interested in. For a hundred bucks it was worth it. 

I have NO idea how my grandmother traced our roots all the way back to the beginning of this country in the 1970's but she did. Matched up for the most part with what Ancestry said.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,000 Captain
    So how do they know Irish DNA is Irish? I mean has Ireland been isolated from the rest of the world for the last 1000 years so that everyone there is somehow related? How do they know they even have a good sample of Irish DNA? Is Irish DNA that much different than Scottish, Welch or English? Seems like a scam to me.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 2,487 Captain
        mustang190 said:

Why anyone would submit their DNA to anything much less a internet website is beyond me. 
    Seems you are in the minority.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 6,945 Admiral
        mustang190 said:

What’s your sample size?
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,288 Admiral
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/white-nationalists-are-flocking-to-genetic-ancestry-tests-with-surprising-results/

White Nationalists Are Flocking to Genetic Ancestry Tests--with Surprising Results

Sometimes they find they are not as “white” as they’d hoped

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • frankfrank Posts: 12,628 AG
    there are no white people
    nor black people either 

humans are all various shades of brown

dna tests are ethnicity tests for recent ethnicity 

Humans have been traveling the world and intermingling for thousands of years, we're all family 
    No political signature
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,828 AG
    edited July 9 #18
    surfman said:
    So how do they know Irish DNA is Irish? I mean has Ireland been isolated from the rest of the world for the last 1000 years so that everyone there is somehow related? How do they know they even have a good sample of Irish DNA? Is Irish DNA that much different than Scottish, Welch or English? Seems like a scam to me.
    DNA markers are different by ethic region. Scientist have been mapping genetic markers in DNA for quite some time and can distinguish different ethic groups pretty accurately. They can even tell the difference between Scottish and Irish DNA. These testing sites like 23 and me are just using that scientific data and computer analysis (is algorithm the right word) to determine your ancestry. The more they do, the more accurate they will get. 

I think it may be worth the money just to see what happens. I want to do my brother and me to see how close they match. If it is accurate, you would think they would be very similar. 

The only real question is, what do they do with your DNA once they send you the results. Are you now compiled in a file that others might gain access to? 

Mini Mart Magnate

• CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,540 AG
    edited July 9 #19
    cadman said:
    surfman said:
    DNA markers are different by ethic region. Scientist have been mapping genetic markers in DNA for quite some time and can distinguish different ethic groups pretty accurately. They can even tell the difference between Scottish and Irish DNA. These testing sites like 23 and me are just using that scientific data and computer analysis (is algorithm the right word) to determine your ancestry. The more they do, the more accurate they will get. 

I think it may be worth the money just to see what happens. I want to do my brother and me to see how close they match. If it is accurate, you would think they would be very similar. 

The only real question is, what do they do with your DNA once they send you the results. Are you now compiled in a file that others might gain access to? 

Yes...maybe

An Online DNA Service and His Genetic Relatives Revealed the Suspect

133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
    cadman said:
    surfman said:
    So how do they know Irish DNA is Irish? I mean has Ireland been isolated from the rest of the world for the last 1000 years so that everyone there is somehow related? How do they know they even have a good ethic region. Scientist have been mapping genetic markers in DNA for quite some time and can distinguish different ethic groups pretty accurately. They can even tell the difference between Scottish and Irish DNA. These testing sites like 23 and me are just using that scientific data and computer analysis (is algorithm the right word) to determine your ancestry. The more they do, the more money just to see what happens. I want to do my brother and me to see how close they match. If it is accurate, you would think they would be very similar. 

The police and FBI have access to it. Isn't that how they caught the Golden State Killer.? His sister sent hers in and it was a match.
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 2,487 Captain
    dave44 said:
        mustang190 said:

What’s your sample size?
    About 14 at the time.
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 10,006 AG
    I'm 100% European American.  
    I may be entitled to compensation.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,377 Admiral
    Who the hell cares? 
    I’m an American. 

This.
  • Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 481 Deckhand
    50% Irish, 25% Scottish and 25% Postal Employee. 
    I only leave my DNA in one place.  We'll, 2 technically.

Captain Todd Approves

mplspug said:
    Cmon! You still use your toothbrush, right?
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 10,006 AG
    I may be entitled to compensation.
    dave44 said:
    mplspug said:
    Ouch!

Captain Todd Approves

mplspug said:
    dave44 said:
    mplspug said:
    Ouch!
    Sorry, too much?
      I’m still learning how to fit into polite society. I was on a fishing forum a little while ago and forgot my decorum.

SAENole said:
    This makes me laugh. A lot.