Need a new Day Pack

spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 488 Deckhand
What do you guys use for a pack while hunting/scouting?

I need to get a new day pack. It must have an internal frame.  It should have a hydration bladder, or accept one readily.  Lots of pockets are good.  Water resistant or waterproof is great.  Bow/gun holder would be great.  Camo would be nice. 

I'm looking for something around $100.  Those Tenzigs look real nice but to much $$$

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,558 Admiral
    When you are ready to invest in a good one I'm partial to this one.. not cheap though https://outdoorsmans.com/products/lr-pack-system
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 956 Officer
    Look into The alps brand. I bought one exactly as you stated from MidwayUSA after the hunting season a few months ago for around $30 on clearance (hard to beat clearance prices at midway)! I have another alps pack exactly the same (without frame) and it has held up, and has plenty of storage. The hydration bladder is a must! I think the regular retail price is around $100.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 792 Officer
    East of the Rockies?  Lol

Go to a jobs or college fair and get one of those cheap backpacks they hand out for free. They’ll hold binoculars some water bottles and some other gear, for free.....
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 967 Officer
    I keep a cheapo daypack loaded ready with what are the necessary essentials for a quickie hunt of 3-4 hours - usually in evening but sometimes afternoon. Just pick it up and go when spontaneity strikes. H2O has a point.

For all day 12 -14 hour expedition style hunts I go with my #1 day pack (room 4 more food & water) but not a big frame pack - just me.

No particular recommendation (very personal choice) but when you find one you really really like I suggest strongly buying at least 2 maybe 3 of them since these products are constantly revised and do away with designs that may be perfect for some customers needs.

Luckily I wound up with 2 new (Spring Creek model packs - discontinued nowadays) from Hideaway/Ameribag http://ameribagoutdoors.com/home.php?cat=253&page=1  So glad I wound up with 2 - will probably christen the new backup pack this year. Careful though - something about some of the material used for straps are super sensitive (big time key straps disintegrated on me) to sunlight exposure - of course I left my 1st one of them in the truck year round but when I told them of the problem when ordering a new one years ago they told me of lifetime warranty and honored it - that's how I wound up with 2 -

JMO but a weapon holder eliminates the chance of a quick kill while walking thru woods on the way in - Right?

• Rich MRich M Posts: 961 Officer
    Tenzig makes a nice pack. 

I use walmart pack for day hunts here and that's too much when carrying a stand in and out.  Fanny pack with 2 bottles of water and a granola bar or two works great.
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 358 Deckhand
    Badlands 2200 but they are not cheap
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 956 Officer
    Midway has an alps outdoorz traverse EPS backpack on sale right now for $64.99 , regular price $129.... it might work for you.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,488 Officer
    I got distracted every time I wanted to reply to this thread.

I think you made a good choice. Especially for balancing lightness with a little bit of load bearing capacity, at least as far as your weapon is concerned. I love bags that have built in rain covers. 

For future reference, the Walmart SOG bags are decent for the money. A SOG bag was my go-to hunting day bag for a long time. It even worked OK for a light camping bag, so long as the load didn't exceed 30 pounds. Over 30 pounds, you definitely felt it. Its definitely inferior to what you ordered. But for someone on a budget or who wants a disposable bag, the SOGs are OK.

Here are my bags. The SOG is the top right. Top left is a Kelty Red Cloud. Too much bag for a simple hunting trip. Bottom left a large ALICE pack on a frame with MOLLE straps. Also too much bag for the stand, but a great back for packing meat out. Bottom right is a custom bag a fellow in Ocala made from scratch. Its my all purpose bag now for both camping and as a day bag for hunting. 

• FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,026 Captain
    Consider a pack with outside storage pouch or tie straps for your clothing that you will shed or put on as temps rise or fall.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • Ghostrider11bGhostrider11b Callahan, FlPosts: 14 Greenhorn
    Bought me a Bug Out brand bag when I graduated basic in ‘05 and I swear I can fit a weeks worth of crap in there. It’s got a spot at the top to fit a camelback hose through and expands as needed. Had it 13 years and it’s going strong. I don’t think the company even exists anymore but the link I’ll throw on here is an identical one. 

https://militaryluggage.com/coyote-brown-s-o-c-bugout-bag/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjZLqjZ-a3AIVU-DICh3VYwreEAkYECABEgKkXfD_BwE