Fish ID help please

CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 346 Deckhand
I think it might be a young bonito but it doesn't have the distinctive back markings or belly spots.

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

Replies

• DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
    It looks like A dried up blackfin.
    We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 470 Deckhand
    Looks kinda like a bullet tuna to me.  Only ever caught one of those myself.
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 346 Deckhand
    edited July 8 #4
    It looks like A dried up blackfin.
    The pic was taken about 30 seconds out of the water up from 200'

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,809 Captain
    Looks like a Bonito (Little Tunny) that may have some form of leucism, but that is a wild guess.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 346 Deckhand
    Looks like a Bonito (Little Tunny) that may have some form of leucism, but that is a wild guess.
    Leucism (/ˈluːsɪzəm, -kɪz-/) is a condition in which there is partial loss of pigmentation in an animal resulting in white, pale, or patchy coloration of the skin,....THANKS!  ;) 

• waterman419waterman419 Posts: 129 Deckhand
    Looks like a “bait fish” to me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]AMERICAN WATERMAN. Life on the water. Developing gear for people who live the waterman lifestyle : 954-295-1911 or e-mail: [email protected]
  • Reel TeaseReel Tease Posts: 657 Officer
    Sure does look like a bonito, I wonder if these fish get LLE or HLLE which is a disease that many times makes the fish look entirely different. It affects the skin of the fish. But I’ve only seen it in a reef tank so I’m not sure. Maybe @waldnerr will have a better idea. 
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 608 Officer
    blackfin tuna without much gold
    we need more internet money
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,010 Officer
    The fin color and placement aren't correct for a blackfin. The pectoral fins, in particular, don't come close to reaching the origin of the second dorsal and anal fins. A series of pale, oblique lines are present above the lateral line. Offhand, my guess (and that's all I can offer from the photo) is a bullet mackerel, Auxis rochei