Keeping deer off new food plot

Rodfather73Rodfather73 Tampa, FlPosts: 23 Greenhorn
Good morning guys,

Every time i plant a food plot, the dag gum deer get on it and plow it down before it can get to browse height. Any thoughts on keeping them off temporarily of course. Ive tried many options including sense and smells..but no luck. Cant wait to here success stories.

Replies

• binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,558 Admiral
    sounds like a success story to me, maybe start supplemental fertilizing your oaks on the property if u have some and install an electric fence
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,698 Captain
    Milorganite 
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 230 Deckhand
    Reduce the herd or make a bigger plot 
  • Rodfather73Rodfather73 Tampa, FlPosts: 23 Greenhorn
    allenr..tried milorganite it worked for a short time. Holly...how big of a plot??
  • hunterjwhunterjw Posts: 325 Deckhand
    Do you all know what milorganite is made from ;)
    "He who hoots with the owls at night will not soar with the eagles at dawn"
    buckpic.jpg" tuna.jpg th_turkey1-1.jpg
  • doghunterdoghunter Posts: 398 Deckhand
    Electric fence. Then take it down when it can stand the pressure.
  • gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,520 Captain
    pour corn in piles so they feed on the corn 
    If you have hogs n cattle that wont work.

I know of a guy that swears by this:
    buy or get some old pantie hose and go to a barber shop fill them with hair hang in and around your plot. It will keep the deer away long enough for the peas to grow.

I imagine your biggest issue is the peas correct?
    "sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,698 Captain
    You can also make a pvc "scarecrow". Put a shirt on it, a milk jug for a head and a ball cap. Spray some cologne on the shirt. It'll work for a bit, but after a couple weeks they will get used to it.

• c.jordanc.jordan Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    I have never personally done this, but a guy we used to hunt with would take a bar soap and grade in a cheese grader and sprinkle it in the food plot. Apparently this would keep the deer off of it long enough to grow until the scent wore off. 
  • Rodfather73Rodfather73 Tampa, FlPosts: 23 Greenhorn
    pour corn in piles so they feed on the corn 
    If you have hogs n cattle that wont work.

I know of a guy that swears by this:
    buy or get some old pantie hose and go to a barber shop fill them with hair hang in and around your plot. It will keep the deer away long enough for the peas to grow.

I imagine your biggest issue is the peas correct?

gator i use a blend from hancock seed
    10% Hulled Aeschynomene
    10% Alyce Clover

10% Sunn Hemp
    10% Dwarf Deer Corn
    10% Japanese Millet
    15% WGF Sorghum
    15% Sunflowers
    20% Iron/Clay Cowpeas

i planted on june 9th and have had a constant low level graze since. Im gonna make a scarecrow, with human hair,  holding bars of soap...

• gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,520 Captain
    How big is the plot?

You really need at least 1 acre or they will continue to mow it down. Every seed in your mix is extremely palatable at the early stages of growth. It is hard to get it started unless you have a large enough plot planted.

Good luck to ya
    "sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,209 Admiral
    Old C D's hanging from string. They reflect the light real nice as they spin around in the wind.
    Even work at night if any moon is out.....cheap too.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • turkeymanturkeyman Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Milorganite

• micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,186 AG
    turkeyman said:
    Milorganite

Yep
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,821 Captain
    I have 3 acres of soybeans. I sprayed Bobbex (2 1/2 gallons in a 25gallon sprayer). Then spread 250 lbs of milorganite and the deer have not touched the beans for 3 weeks. This would give the beans(which are forage beans) enough time to out grow the deer pressure. Last night I saw the first deer browse a bean. Time for another round of milorganite. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,237 Admiral
    Allow me to hunt your property.  That'll keep those pesky deer away 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 113 Deckhand
    While this only works for winter plots, we wait to plant when the deer leave our corn feeders for acorns.  This usually gives us 3-4 weeks to get the plots up and growing.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,830 Moderator
    I had success with milorganite.  Kept them out for about 30 days.  ICPs and sunflowers.  Peas got about knee high and were real pretty.  Once milorganite wore off the one acre strip was mowed down to nubs in about a week.  Won't bother doing that again!  Nobody else out there planted a summer plot.  Was just a waste of my time and money.  
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • ReelAffair23ReelAffair23 Posts: 788 Officer
    Milogranite did not work for me on either of my 3 plots.  
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,186 AG
    Milogranite did not work for me on either of my 3 plots.  

First I've heard of it not working for anyone. Did you put enough out? You should be able to smell it real strong after putting out. Rain will dilute it and it needs to be re applied.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes