WMA goals for FWC

binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,054 Admiral
After watching some FWC videos its clear that FWC wants to reduce the amount of people in the woods and have them have this "great quality hunting experience"    another quote, it will     "keep deer from becoming nocturnal"

If this is the case quota hunts will only become more widespread.

Replies

• H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,006 Officer
    That needs to be shut down. Period. 

The game farm experience is not hunting and people who must have the game farm experience to harvest game or hunt should not be the example of hunters. True hunters learn the game and figure out how to harvest it ethically.  If you want to shoot cattle, and I think you should be able to if you want, then buy or lease some land and put out your bait and shoot your cattle. Don’t exclude the public from public land for the sake of shooting cattle or not being willing to take the time to learn how to hunt. 
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,014 Captain
    I would be very surprised to see any expansion of the Quota System to WMAs open to all....and, not surprised to see additional permits at some WMAs...although doe take may be adjusted down on some WMAs...
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 1,837 Captain
    Which WMAs are offering this game farm experience where a hunter can shoot cattle? Never heard of anything like that on a public or private property.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,054 Admiral
    N. Cook said:
    I would be very surprised to see any expansion of the Quota System to WMAs open to all....and, not surprised to see additional permits at some WMAs...although doe take may be adjusted down on some WMAs...
    Would you be surprised to hear a leading FWC official say that if one year the herd estimate is down, reduce quota's ? I can sure give U the link
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 1,536 Captain
    Yes send me the link. Thx
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
    edited July 6 #7
    Which WMAs are offering this game farm experience where a hunter can shoot cattle? Never heard of anything like that on a public or private property.
    I’ve never lived in a place where you can drive around and view a hundred deer staying in large herds 10-20 animals on public hunting land on a few thousand acres until I moved here.  Can you see it in some parts of the country on private hunting land and non hunting public land, certainly, but not on managed wmas. 
  • scoop337scoop337 Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    H20dad said:

The game farm experience is not hunting and people who must have the game farm experience to harvest game or hunt should not be the example of hunters. True hunters learn the game and figure out how to harvest it ethically.  If you want to shoot cattle, and I think you should be able to if you want, then buy or lease some land and put out your bait and shoot your cattle. Don’t exclude the public from public land for the sake of shooting cattle or not being willing to take the time to learn how to hunt. 
    Which WMA's have provided you with the "game farm" experience?
    scoop337 said:
    H20dad said:

Which WMA's have provided you with the "game farm" experience?
    Do your own research. 
    H20dad said:
    I’ve never lived in a place where you can drive around and view a hundred deer staying in large herds 10-20 animals on public hunting land on a few thousand acres until I moved here.  Can you see it in some parts of the country on private hunting land and non hunting public land, certainly, but not on managed wmas. 
    Sounds like you got them dialed in
    Is swampwaler fwc?

A conundrum. Benelli asked an important question, germane to his discussion as he usually does, and as usual doesn't provide the link or proof to his statement that generated my inquiry. I'm definitely on to a pattern here. I guess consistency is something...

I did appreciate his providing me the list (from an earlier post) of items he'd like to see addressed to improve hunting in his zone. That was substantial.
    The FWC is in the driver's seat on how many of the 9 items on his wish list? As.yousual, his anger may be justified but it's still misdirected.
    A conundrum. Benelli asked an important question, germane to his discussion as he usually does, and as usual doesn't provide the link or proof to his statement that generated my inquiry. I'm definitely on to a pattern here. I guess consistency is something...

I did appreciate his providing me the list (from an earlier post) of items he'd like to see addressed to improve hunting in his zone. That was substantial.
    Here's one... have a nice day 
    The Wildlife official did question the Wildlife Biologist about the ability to trend the deer herd through different survey methologies. The official suggested if the herd went down, the quotas could be reduced, the biologist said yes you could but they'd never done that and would most likely reduce the doe harvest to help the herd. So I heard a lay person ( media spokesperson- not a wildlife biologist) speculate on reducing quotas, and the biologists state, no they'd reduce the doe harvest. So I didn't hear what you posted. Thank you for providing the link though.
    your welcome FWC..also, when are you going to post or quote something I didn't have any facts to go off? Nice spin BTW
    Great video. Joe Budd has had no Doe harvest since 2017, check ya brochure. Joe Budd got some beautiful woods. With those food plots your best bet is to setup your ground blind right in the middle.
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 1,086 Officer
    At 14min 10 seconds into the vid one FWC official suggests cutting quota permits id herd has a downward trend but the local biologists does say again we cut doe harvest not quotas. Bottom line hunter/customer take is reduced allowing same number of hunters and hopefully retain them and all of their revenue generation to Fla's economy.
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 1,086 Officer
    The FWC is in the driver's seat on how many of the 9 items on his wish list? As.yousual, his anger may be justified but it's still misdirected.

From what I see in binelli's post to the Bad Ideas in Florida Never Die pasted below (italics by me to differentiate) - he never directed his "factual complaining (not anger) at FWC. He probably knew well the issues listed were largely Federally controlled via USFWS and NPS. Whether anyone knows or not FWC has a "cooperative agreement with NPS in Big Cypress that gives them a fair amount of say so if they choose to exercise it with an aggressive confident and assertive tone even though NPS can overrule them - lacking an aggressive posture they will blow FWC or anyone off most of the time - just to save time and work possibly.

HaHa knowing how to type helps here on FS.

binelli's post I believe walker dog referred to -

No speculation, just factual complaining.
    #1 I would make it a priority to make water flow thru ENP at all costs!
    #2 I would make it a priority to delist the Fl Cougar
    #3 I would make it a priority to delist the lil bird causing all the destruction to S Fl everglades
    #4 I would make it a priority to open all lands and rid the python population and offer bounty monies 365 days a yr day and night hunting
    #5 I would make "staff" present a complete predator management plan
    #6 I would open the almost 1 million acres of land S of Hwy 70 to hunting
    #8 I would pull all enforcement off federal lands until the above were implemented.
    #9 Id get rid of the STA's and open them just like the rest of the lands

U want more?

They joke also and say keep the numbers low in these lip stick managed areas... the message is Quality restricted hunts period. Anyone want to challenge that come w some facts... not "what u heard" because the proof is in the video. swampwalker.. Ur the one who somehow can't put anything U say I have posted w no facts.. so please for the sake of your credibility show me one thing..ONE!

It's quite funny you dwell on the part of cutting the amount of quota's but dont comment on the "quality experience" which directly is what this topic is about

as he usually does, and as usual doesn't provide the link or proof to his statement that generated my inquiry

YOUR TURN to provide proof, otherwise BOHICA 
    Joe Budd fact. WMA only permits Bow Hunt and Muzzleloader/Bow Hunts: 2017-18 Deer Season: 1547 Hunters Days 35 Bucks harvested. If you mean Quality restricted hunts as 3 Points one side 1" or more then they "slayed" last year with those 35. 
    Did I just see the goal post move? I thought it said quota and now I hear it's quality. Hmmmmmmmmmm
    edited July 7 #23
    Post 19

Maybe so on them being too passive but none of the 9 are specific to B.C. and even if any of them were, what you said just further demonstrates what I said about who is really in the driver's seat. Look at the root of almost all of the hunting issues in sfl and you will see the feds. Very few where that isn't the case. Well except access.....
    The original reason for quotas was to reduce crowding and to provide a better quality of hunt experience. Crowding was a real issue at some of the WMAs - and quotas for the first 9 days helped significantly. I don't agree with your characterization of the video you provided, which proves my point on your posts. You always make inflammatory statements and when folks reply, you answer with a question whereas they have to go search to disprove your reply. It is a tremendous time sink to do the searching. Honestly we all have opinions and that's pretty much what you spout. You sir, are a conspiracy theorist and may never change. The link you shared was nothing more than a little intro to Joe Budd with someone trying to show some positive facts about a small hunt area. The biologist did a sincere job of trying to introduce sound management procedures into the video. There was no real FWC policy delivered, just a snapshot on the area. The media guy was out of his element and should have operated off a script instead of off the top of his head. 
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 872 Officer
    Well, they certainly fixed the crowding problem.

If it was to fix a crowding problem, why aren't there more days?
    like i said you cant find anything I'm not right about... I know the answer before the question is asked. You can have your opinion ill have mine. Prove mine wrong if U will whenever, but use facts. And fact of the matter is more n more quotas special opps and restrictions keep on coming. BOHICA
    scoop337 said:
    Joe Budd fact. WMA only permits Bow Hunt and Muzzleloader/Bow Hunts: 2017-18 Deer Season: 1547 Hunters Days 35 Bucks harvested. If you mean Quality restricted hunts as 3 Points one side 1" or more then they "slayed" last year with those 35. 
    That is pretty pathetic and its been in FWc management over 30 yrs now. Has pretty roads though
    PS.. just like AR's were only on test on select wma's  remember that. How many more yrs of collecting data does it take to make a place like Joe Budd a trophy club
    Im sure if you can convince the state to sell it, someone whould be glad to buy it and they might even implement trophy management on it.
     over 30 yrs and only 25 bucks 10 doe killed on 11k acres? Maybe they should let someone else manage it.