End of Affirmative Action?

1235»

Replies

• pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,289 Captain
    edited July 9 #122
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
    Midland Tx. I was pulled over with my wife and elderly mother in the car. Mom said, speeding weren’t you? No mom. Wife, didn’t use you blinker when you changed lanes? I did honey. Cop pulled me, put me against the trunk and patted me down.( Stand by for tear jerking embellishments here)- I looked into the car and saw huge tears on my mother’s face and utter horror on my wife, I couldn’t look at them anymore as I welled up with shame.
       The policeman told me to stay put as he went to his car and ran my license.
       He came back and said, sorry a bank was robbed and your rental car matched the description. You may go.
       But no cash for me? That seemed like a it should be worth at least a half a mil? Oh well, should have played my 1/8 th Cherokee card. I’ll do better next time.
    I know a guy who is black who can relate to that story about three or four times a year. You got once in Texas?
    I'm calling bs on that. I know it happens, but telling us you know a guy that it happens to 4-5 times a year is a stretch. Unless there's a whole lot more to the story. 
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,962 AG
    driving while black...
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 563 Officer
    Cyclist said:
    Cyclist said:

Redlining was banned 50 years ago. It’s still hurting minorities today.

Racial discrimination in mortgage lending in the 1930s shaped the demographic and wealth patterns of American communities today, a new study shows, with 3 out of 4 neighborhoods “redlined” on government maps 80 years ago continuing to struggle economically.

The study by the National Community Reinvestment Coalition, released Wednesday, shows that the vast majority of neighborhoods marked “hazardous” in red ink on maps drawn by the federal Home Owners’ Loan Corp. from 1935 to 1939 are today much more likely than other areas to comprise lower-income, minority residents.

“It’s as if some of these places have been trapped in the past, locking neighborhoods into concentrated poverty,” said Jason Richardson, director of research at the NCRC, a consumer advocacy group.

[The Senate rolls back rules meant to root out discrimination by mortgage lenders]

Researchers compared the HOLC maps, the most comprehensive documentation of discriminatory lending practices, with modern-day census data to determine how much neighborhood demographics have changed in 80 years. The findings have implications for today’s political debates over housing, banking and financial regulation, as well as civil rights, as Congress seeks to weaken the government’s ability to enforce fair-lending requirements. Policies that influence access to capital and credit have long-lasting effects on residential patterns, neighborhoods’ economic health and household accumulation of wealth, the report said.

In the 1930s, government surveyors graded neighborhoods in 239 cities, color-coding them green for “best,” blue for “still desirable,” yellow for “definitely declining” and red for “hazardous.” The “redlined” areas were the ones local lenders discounted as credit risks, in large part because of the residents’ racial and ethnic demographics. They also took into account local amenities and home prices.

Neighborhoods that were predominantly made up of African Americans, as well as Catholics, Jews and immigrants from Asia and southern Europe, were deemed undesirable. “Anyone who was not northern-European white was considered to be a detraction from the value of the area,” said Bruce Mitchell, a senior researcher at the NCRC and one of the study’s authors.

READ MORE AT LINK

I paid more for car insurance when I lived in a neighborhood that had more cars stolen.  You could have made the case, if that was your intention, that the insurance companies were just raising rates in areas with a higher percentage of minorities.  Either way when I left to a more affluent and less diverse area my rates went down slightly but the rate of auto theft, per the police department, were significantly lower. 
    This was not based on crime....it was based on the color of peoples skin and where they were from. Catholics and Poles included... You are not understanding this issue.

I understand the issue.  What I was attempting to parallel was that companies could pull out data that suggested minorities defaulted at higher rates or houses in particular areas had higher default rates to justify their decisions.  It may have been based on some number that had an ethnicity tied to it, or maybe it was just rooted in racism.  But if your money is on the line.....
  • Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,142 Captain
    Cyclist said:
    driving while black...
    A complete myth.
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,426 AG
    Says the white dude.
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Northwest ArkansasPosts: 224 Deckhand
    Cyclist said:
    I paid more for car insurance when I lived in a neighborhood that had more cars stolen.  You could have made the case, if that was your intention, that the insurance companies were just raising rates in areas with a higher percentage of minorities.  Either way when I left to a more affluent and less diverse area my rates went down slightly but the rate of auto theft, per the police department, were significantly lower. 
    This was not based on crime....it was based on the color of peoples skin and where they were from. Catholics and Poles included... You are not understanding this issue.
    What color are Catholics and Poles? 
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,426 AG
    edited July 10 #128

kellercl said:
    The constitution was set up to limit the government and its function. 
     The problem with tarponator and those who think like him apply 21st century thinking to 18th century thinking. 
     Not everyone owned slaves. Actually the vast majority of people did not own them.  
     I suggest people read the Federalist papers and other writings of the founders and you will see that the Constitution, the Bill of Rights were way ahead of their times. And they were given a process in which to be amended. 
     And as has been said before, point out a better system?
    Moving goalposts.  Slavery aside blacks were not allowed to vote for over 120 years, women even longer.  The constitution was originally written for white males.  This country upon its founding was the epitome of white privilege, Tarpon simply isn't wrong on this one. 
    Nothing like judging the past with a narrow view of modern eyes. The Constitution was written by white guys, of course by today's standards it represented white privilege, it was however under this very same Constitution that the greatest mobility of blacks in history was achieved. The anti-black laws of the south after the Civil War where in fact very unconstitutional and thru time, using the system created by the Constitution, those laws were changed. It seems like a system for everyone.
    So, blacks should really be thankful they were brought here in ships because it allowed them to achieve great things through our constitution?

I mean, thanks for agreeing with the indisputable facts of white privilege in our Constitution, but that's a rather disturbing view of African American history.

It's worth noting that Affirmative Action was also formed under that very same Constitution, and I agree it seems like a system for everyone.   We should try to make its blessings applied even more broadly and evenly, if you ask me.  Diversity is a strength, not a weakness --and this is even more true in the university setting where new experiences and exposure to a diversity of culture and thought is rightfully a goal --  but we also need to strike a balance between diversity and performance.  To favor diversity over performance is a mistake, perhaps even more of a mistake than making the mistake in the other direction and favoring performance over diversity.  I'd like to think we can do both at the same time, and the reality is we actually do a pretty darn good job of balancing both today at the university level. 

However, that's not really a divisive headline nor is it politically motivating, so here we are, and thanks for the opportunity to express my own thoughts on the topic....Mike
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,766 Admiral
    I don’t think anyone disagrees that diversity is a strength?
     It’s special privileges and blatant discrimination that are the problem. 
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 7,218 Admiral
    He’s always fishing for an argument. Isn’t it tiring trying to engage that kid?
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 6,709 Admiral
    Cyclist said: no
    What color are Catholics and Poles? 
    I'm pasty white.

Captain Todd Approves

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,766 Admiral
    dave44 said:
    Maybe he should start a school for all the Asian kids who are really discriminated by universities?
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,142 Captain

dave44 said:
    Well, it is a fishing forum after all....
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
1235»