Maybe help out a happy fishing vet.

saltybluegrasssaltybluegrass Posts: 68 Greenhorn
I’m a disabled vet and I broke my last pole this week. I have found fishing the thing really holding me while i get through therapy, and am asking if anyone has an old 7/6 spinning rod/reel for casting at the beach. As i thought to ask this here , it hit me about maybe a project - Fishing Poles for G.I.. Joes.<br>In the hospital , the vets with PTSD seemed to have a high rate of the love of fishing that i met. &nbsp;Some planned to meet on the jetty soon.&nbsp;<br>thanks and WOW was i wrong about bass poles in the saltwater!&nbsp;<br> just one 

Replies

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,208 Captain
    Where are you?
    You should have been here yesterday
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,425 AG
    edited July 3 #3
    If you are interested, please send me a PM.  I have something for you.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,035 Officer
    If Tarponator or SaltyGatorVet doesn't hook you up for some reason or other...

Where you located?

Do you primarily need "just" a surf casting pole or do you need an all-purpose pole?

• One DropOne Drop Posts: 68 Greenhorn
    I've got plenty of fishing rods and some reels I could part with for a veteran or three.  Fishing poles for GI Joe's is super catchy.  We need to group together and do something for these guys.  Thoughts?  
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
    I spent all my money on hookers and booze. The rest I wasted.

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • saltybluegrasssaltybluegrass Posts: 68 Greenhorn
    Where are you?
    Port st. lucie 
    edited July 7 #8
    One Drop said:
    I've got plenty of fishing rods and some reels I could part with for a veteran or three.  Fishing poles for GI Joe's is super catchy.  We need to group together and do something for these guys.  Thoughts?  
    i’m seriously afflicted with ADD even though i’m 57. Bipolar/Depressed. 
    i cannot keep my thoughts together and awaiting a disability after losing my business to this problem the last year. 
    That being said- we need organization. 
    my first thoughts were to reach out to DAV’s / and veteran assistant programs/clinics/ hospitals w liaisons  to bulletin board the programs. 
    I’m not sure how many Fl forums there are but everyone needs to know this program so we’d have some success. Might want to approach media- local papers and tv that the Fishing poles for GI Joes will be at ...... for donations. 
    I’ll man a table. 
    My old neighbor in ky started a sportsman club with cabelas and he sets outside their store for functions. Wonder who would be best ? Bass Pro or Cabela
    Thanks One

I went back to the military after 35 years discharged trying to get disability from active duty problems but they have a term that gets them out of being responsible for many to receive help. 
    Multiple personality disorder. Non-definable.  
    Even though i had a major psychotic episode after 2 years active , they claim it was from childhood. I get nothing. They even strapped me to hospital beds as i tried to escape several times ! lol. I was a good sailor until they put me off the ship w a bad knee in HI. That’s when it went bad. 
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 429 Deckhand
    One Drop said:
    I agree its definitely a cool name and a great idea.