Soccer team found alive in cave after more than a week

Replies

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 6,709 Admiral
    Ok, I'll star using smilies if you agree to be nicer.   :)

Captain Todd Approves

• treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 2,930 Captain
    You would think it would be easy to Fab up a small fiberglass capsule that you could load with air and pull those kids to the water
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 2,663 Captain
    mplspug said:
    Ok, I'll star using smilies if you agree to be nicer.   :)
    Ok. Now your asking a lot!!
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,288 Captain
    Gary S said:
    They said those kids will have to learn to scuba dive real quick or wait five months for the monsoon season to end. 
     Screw clearing a mask,,, let’s get the hell outta here!
    I heard on the radio this morning it would take 4 months to train them. I thought Asian were smarter than that.
    Four months? What are they trying to do, make UDT divers out of them? You can take a private basic underwater scuba class in less than a week one on one. And they don't need to learn nearly everything taught in that class. Just don't hold your breath, try to stay calm, and let the extremely experienced diver with you lead you out. 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,810 Captain
    The "four months" talked about isn't for dive training, it is the time that it would take for the water to recede naturally (dry season) in case they could not get them out any other way such as diving or through dewatering operations.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

That makes more sense. The post I quoted said four months to "train", however. I don't think waiting on the water to go down will require training. Although f they were American snowflakes it probably would. 
    Quick!  Ship over some of those dive globes they use for tourists around here who want to dive, but aren't scuba licensed.  Or send a snuba outfit.  Hurry up, the rainy season isn't over!

Captain Todd Approves

• Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 10,934 AG
    RIP for the diver. 

• tankardtankard Posts: 6,424 Admiral

And oxygen levels are dropping.

Would really suck to have all this hope and then they start suffocating.

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 9,170 Admiral
    Sedate them, put them in a full head scuba mask, bring them out.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 834 Officer
    I thought I heard they were pumping water out of cave area. Seems like it would run bak in. My  first thought was why not pressurize cave system with air and push water out. 
    Rescue mission underway. Thoughts and prayers for 100% success.
    Early unconfirmed reports that first two boys are out already.

― Ernest Hemingway

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,925 Moderator

Back to the topic.....

They have brought out 4 of the kids so far. Pretty amazing.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 24,450 AG
    mplspug said:
    Just remember this tip.  90% of my posts are sarcasm.  
    I think that number might be a little low. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,511 Captain
    5 out so far, that is great news, hope they all get out safe and no more casualties, RIP the diver that died, that is really tragic. Incredible story.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
    All children and the coach have been rescued!
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,925 Moderator
    I would not have given a nickel for their chances when this first broke. These divers are heroes.
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,467 Admiral
    They got cool patches too.

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    I saw a headling saying it was a success.  How can it be a success if someone died trying to help?

Captain Todd Approves

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,765 Admiral
    I bet that coach is in some deep kimchi. 
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
    There will be a movie about it in less than 6 months.

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,003 Captain
    mplspug said:
    I saw a headling saying it was a success.  How can it be a success if someone died trying to help?
    Still don't understand how someone with that experience runs out of air. Did they ever explain it? I haven't kept up.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,413 AG
    AC Man said:
    mplspug said:
    Still don't understand how someone with that experience runs out of air. Did they ever explain it? I haven't kept up.

He was taking tanks of air to be used in the rescue and apparently didn't pay attention to his own air....

mpls- the rescue of getting the kids out was a success. The prep work to do so was not..

Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,426 AG
    edited July 10 #56
    Setting aside the diver who gave his own life, what a wonderful conclusion to what looked like a terrible tragedy in the making.  Like Billy, I wonder if/when it will be made into a movie.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,765 Admiral
    Wonder what part George Clooney will play? :)
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 7,217 Admiral
    The super reasonable smartest guy on the planet that happens to be the manager of the rescue effort. Duhh.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,593 Admiral
    They already called me in.
    I'll be playing a frisky x seal that likes the Ladies . I'll be dressed like Hugh Hefner in a robe with slippers and Thai girls in a Bentley..winning...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    I heard  on the news he crashed his scooter so he may not be playing at all. I'd rather see Turner River Terror star in the role than Clooney.

― Ernest Hemingway

• dave44dave44 Posts: 7,217 Admiral
    I heard  on the news he crashed his scooter so he may not be playing at all. I'd rather see Turner River Terror star in the role than Clooney.
    You’re right. I think they made the right decision by calling him in. I hope his girls are younger in the movie than real life though.