When someone you know takes an illegal fish and posts on social media.

1982mako2241982mako224 Posts: 393 Deckhand
Was passing through social media this weekend and came across a post by an acquaintance with a picture of a fish they had taken aboard his boat.  Only problem.  They misidentified the fish and should have known better.  What they really took was a fish that comes with some really hefty fines.  Someone apparently told him and the post was taken down by the end of the day.  Willing to bet hundreds of people saw the post though.  I do believe it was an honest mistake and I don't want him to get in trouble but dang if you're going to post a fish on social media you danged well better know what it is.

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,449 Officer
    Outside this forum I don't post about fishing, mostly because I don't want to listen to animal lovers whine and moan.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,101 Captain
    edited July 2 #3
    Happens all the time, folks don’t know the regs and love to brag
    You should have been here yesterday
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,425 Admiral
    What did he post? An endangered Red Snapper?
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,288 Captain
    Some folks are just asking for trouble. SMH
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • 1982mako2241982mako224 Posts: 393 Deckhand
    edited July 2 #6
    He thought he had a big fish of one species when in reality he had a small one of a much bigger species.  Lets just say if he had caught his fish's mama he would have needed a bigger boat.  DaaaDump.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,288 Admiral
    Tiger Shark

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    Tiger shark is close but you need to think bigger.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 2,711 Captain
    edited July 2 #9
    So no one knows what fish it was? 

I'm gonna guess goliath grouper. Mistook it for a black?
    Read my post above........closely.
    Fish not caught in or near Florida by the way.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 2,711 Captain
    Well we posted at the same time. This game is dumb though. 
    kellercl said:
    Outside this forum I don't post about fishing, mostly because I don't want to listen to animal lovers whine and moan.
    Trust me I'm not the animal lover type.  This falls under the heading of Oh My God What An Idiot.
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 1,980 Captain
    Goliath was my first guess, but now Sounds like he thought he had a mako but in fact was a great white. I’d at least roast him a little in private. Yes people post stupid stuff all the time, though I don’t Facebook and such so don’t see it unless someone points it out to me.
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 10,006 AG

It was obviously a Judenfish.  
    I may be entitled to compensation.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,226 AG
    edited July 2 #17
    We all makes mistakes.   Today's social media just makes them much more visible.  Live and learn.
    Imagine if they had the internet, digital cameras and social media back in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s!
     No. Let’s not.  :o
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 6,945 Admiral
    We all makes mistakes.   Today's social media just makes them much more visible.  Live and learn.
    Yes we does!
    Imagine if they had the internet, digital cameras and social media back in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s!
     No. Let’s not.  :o

We didn't have a million laws to try to comply with back then so it all would have been good.  Also back then the world wasn't quite as filled with squeemish do gooder wusses who would be upset over a fish.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,556 Captain
    GW shark? thought it was a Mako?

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,440 AG
    Ok, what was it and what did he think it was?
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 6,945 Admiral
    They all look the same.
    dave44 said:
    They all look the same.
    That’s racist!
    Yes yes and yes.
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 10,006 AG
    Saw one eat a rocking chair one time.  
    I may be entitled to compensation.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,237 Admiral
    I had a picture i was going to post but it had 3 bonnet head sharks in it and the limit for a day is 2.   they were caught in different trips and kept overnight in a cooler so easier to clean, but god forbid I post something that doesn't "look right" and the PC police lose their minds.   

As for under slot/over slot or a species you aren't supposed to keep, if someone posts them up on social media, then the social media police can and will do their job and have  a hissy fit.  

I'm not a fan of people taking illegal fish, I think if you do it for one, you do it for all.    But the person might not be aware they took an illegal fish, and i might drop them a direct message and say something, but usually within 4-5 minutes the web sharks are on them anyway. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,072 Captain
    Heck, post a pic of 15-20 schoolie dolphin on the SE section. With in a couple posts people will be crying about how small they are, about how they will be wasted, how no one needs that many fish, telling the guy who posted it he's not a sportsman, and it's people like him that are ruining the fishing. All when everything is completely legal. 
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,515 Admiral
    edited July 7 #30
    if you post a pic on FS it's no longer your property 
  • Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 481 Deckhand
    He caught a jewfish and thought it was a black grouper.  I remember an old diver telling an elderly northern woman who asked why the fish was called a Jewfish.  He deadpanned to her that it was because they were fat, ugly and hard to skin.  I was 10 and about half a sip into a Mountain Dew that ended up on the pavement.  I guess I will have to get used to goliath.